Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: thoughts please

Local Date
    06-05-2020
    Local Time
    02:18 AM

Re: thoughts please

Quote Originally Posted by binbag View Post
    Aaaaaaw, farmer giles, you can't leave it there.

Tell us what your thoughts are.

bb
    sorry i cant do the god is true it says so in the bible and it must be true coz the bible is the word of god thing any more if you have anything to prove god or jesus without the bible cop out clause i would love to hear it ...jimbo

Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    just saw this one now.........welcome back Jimbo!

thank you my friend

please.....this time..stick around.

I miss your humour!

Local Date
    06-05-2020
    Local Time
    11:18 AM

posted by farmer giles
    sorry i cant do the god is true it says so in the bible and it must be true coz the bible is the word of god thing any more if you have anything to prove god or jesus without the bible cop out clause i would love to hear it ...jimbo
    Take that away and there isn't much left. Study a bit about the history of the gospels and it's not a very convincing argument in the first place. Basically they ask you to accept that the edited version we now have is the true word of god cos god guided them when they were deciding what to include and what to exclude. In reality it was a cynical editing to get a religion that could be used to control people on earth.

You might find this of interest

BBC - BBC Four Programmes - The End of God?: A Horizon Guide to Science and Religion

Local Date
    06-05-2020
    Local Time
    02:18 AM

thanks GMC very very interesting indeed

Local Date
    06-05-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    posted by farmer giles

Take that away and there isn't much left. Study a bit about the history of the gospels and it's not a very convincing argument in the first place. Basically they ask you to accept that the edited version we now have is the true word of god cos god guided them when they were deciding what to include and what to exclude. In reality it was a cynical editing to get a religion that could be used to control people on earth.

You might find this of interest

BBC - BBC Four Programmes - The End of God?: A Horizon Guide to Science and Religion
    The Lost Gospels that folowed that programme was also interesting. There were 22 altogether and one of the programme's conclusions was that if they were all included in the New Testament, Christianity would never have taken off.

Local Date
    06-05-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by OpenMind View Post
    The Lost Gospels that folowed that programme was also interesting. There were 22 altogether and one of the programme's conclusions was that if they were all included in the New Testament, Christianity would never have taken off.
    Christianity took off because it was taken up by the roman emperors, if you couldn't be god the next best thing is to be the one talking to him. Or is that a bit cynical?

If they'd kept the requirement for circumcision for gentile converts that some of the early church wanted it probably wouldn't have taken off either. You might be prepared to make sacrifices or offerings to god but having to cut bits off yourself to become a member of a new religion would have been a bit of a deterrent for most people. Praise the lord and pass the holy pen(is)knife.

Posted by openmind
    I couldn't find a link for that on replay. Do you have it? if so please post it. I missed part of it. The thing that surprised me was that someone could become a priest without knowing the new testament had been heavily edited to get the "right" doctrine.

Local Date
    06-05-2020
    Local Time

I found the Lost Gosples far more interesting than the End of God. A real insite into the politics of the early Church.

Local Date
    06-05-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    I found the Lost Gosples far more interesting than the End of God. A real insite into the politics of the early Church.
    I found them interesting as well but I didn't watch it all at the time. dodn;t know about the later ones they have found. The more I know about it the less I can put up with the bible tells me so brigade. It's like talking to someone that's memorised the sales brochure if you ask them something that requires thought they don't know what to say unless the phrase has been given to them. I'm right you're wrong sums up the depths of their logic.

Local Date
    06-05-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Christianity took off because it was taken up by the roman emperors, if you couldn't be god the next best thing is to be the one talking to him. Or is that a bit cynical?

If they'd kept the requirement for circumcision for gentile converts that some of the early church wanted it probably wouldn't have taken off either. You might be prepared to make sacrifices or offerings to god but having to cut bits off yourself to become a member of a new religion would have been a bit of a deterrent for most people. Praise the lord and pass the holy pen(is)knife.

Posted by openmind

I couldn't find a link for that on replay. Do you have it? if so please post it. I missed part of it. The thing that surprised me was that someone could become a priest without knowing the new testament had been heavily edited to get the "right" doctrine.
    Here ya go, GMC. YouTube - The Lost Gospels [1/9]

I have to confess that I didn't pick up on the fact that the presenter is an Anglican priest.

http://www.playandwatch.com/play-202...t-Gospels.html

Local Date
    06-05-2020
    Local Time

Here ya go, GMC. YouTube - The Lost Gospels [1/9]

I have to confess that I didn't pick up on the fact that the presenter is an Anglican priest.

Watch BBC - The Lost Gospels - Christianity - Documentaries - Playandwatch.com
    Thanks for that. Puzzled me I must admit when he made the comment. I don't know anything about the way anglican and catholics train their priests but I would have thought any priest would knowing about the nicene creed and it's origins would twig there must have been parts of the bible deliberately left out. The gospels weren't lost they were thrown away.

Local Date
    06-05-2020
    Local Time
    10:18 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Have just sat through the 'Lost Gospels 1 /9 ' and found it very interesting..... I'm going to 'delve' into these more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2