Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Family allowance cuts

  1. #1
    Senior Member kazalala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunderland UK
    Posts
    4,322
    Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    10:27 AM

    Family allowance cuts

    Just been watching the news about the decision to stop Family Allowance ( Child benefit)
    for parents who have at least one of them on £44000 or more a year. Some people on the news were saying its unfair, and what about mothers whop are on their own and making that much, or households with only one parent working making that much.
    personally i think its ok, and i would have been glad to forfeit it if i had been earning that much.
    What do you think


    FOC THREAD PART1
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
    Martin Luther King Jr.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    WEST SUSSEX, ENGLAND
    Posts
    31,529
    Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    10:27 AM

    Re: Family allowance cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by kazalala View Post
    Just been watching the news about the decision to stop Family Allowance ( Child benefit)
    for parents who have at least one of them on £44000 or more a year. Some people on the news were saying its unfair, and what about mothers whop are on their own and making that much, or households with only one parent working making that much.
    personally i think its ok, and i would have been glad to forfeit it if i had been earning that much.
    What do you think
    My local Tories were telling me that they would do this long before the election if they got In. I actually agree with It. It Is un-fair that even single parents earning that kind of money, should be able to claim the exact same benefit as those on Income support.

    It appears that they seem to be doing all of which they proposed before the election.... Just wait !!! Next is benefit replaced by food vouchers for the un-employed with children.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Bez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    8,898
    Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    10:27 AM

    Re: Family allowance cuts

    If my maths is correct that's £846 per week ...... that's a LOT of money...by my standard anyway. That's more than 4 times what I get on a state pension + private pension that I paid into for 30 yrs and which I pay tax on. I am not entitled to any benefits except the Winter fuel payment for which I am very grateful.

    When I got 'Family allowance' 40 yrs ago we got zero for the 1st child and then around 90p for the 2nd and subsequent child. I needed it desperately then but my husbands earnings were very small.

    I think it's Ok for those on larger incomes to forgo family allowance......I doubt they even notice much difference when it's paid into thier bank acounts
    A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home

  4. #4
    Senior Member kazalala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunderland UK
    Posts
    4,322
    Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    10:27 AM

    Re: Family allowance cuts

    i think some people may be living beyond their means to be now moaning about it


    FOC THREAD PART1
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
    Martin Luther King Jr.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    8,898
    Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    10:27 AM

    Re: Family allowance cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    My local Tories were telling me that they would do this long before the election if they got In. I actually agree with It. It Is un-fair that even single parents earning that kind of money, should be able to claim the exact same benefit as those on Income support.

    It appears that they seem to be doing all of which they proposed before the election.... Just wait !!! Next is benefit replaced by food vouchers for the un-employed with children.
    To be honest this may not be a bad thing. Much of the money paid to keep kids from poor families fed and clothed obviously goes on fags, drink, drugs and luxury items.
    A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home

  6. #6
    Recycled Teenager G#Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    14,121
    Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    10:27 AM

    Re: Family allowance cuts

    I have always thought that people earning very good money should not get the child benefit, and that it should be paid to the less fortunate, the underpaid, the one-parent family etc. However, an interesting problem was mentioned on the radio (local) this afternoon. Family 'A' has mum at home looking after the children while dad works and earns £46,000 per year, so they loose their child benefit. Family 'B', next door, have both parents working full time, each bringing in £40,000 (total £80,000) therefore they qualify for child benefit ! I, personally think that the authorities should consider the sum total of earnings coming into a particular household, whilst making their decisions, like building societies do when arranging mortgages.
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    WEST SUSSEX, ENGLAND
    Posts
    31,529
    Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    10:27 AM

    Re: Family allowance cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bez View Post
    To be honest this may not be a bad thing. Much of the money paid to keep kids from poor families fed and clothed obviously goes on fags, drink, drugs and luxury items.
    My apologies to any-one reading this as I have written this post before on other threads. I myself am for It because I have a revolting neighbour who even puts getting tattoo's before feeding her children
    Every 2nd friday the only excercise this woman gets Is bending down to pick the benefit cheque up off the door mat. She has a regualr taxi booked for every fortnight on a friday night to take her to Asda where she stocks up the cheap beer and ciggs. Then she phones my friends take-away for a £30 Pizza order and has It delivered. Her children are under-fed and dirty.
    One day her little boy was In my house and asked If he could have an apple In the fruit bowl and I pointed out that there were no apples In there but they were pears. He was so excited about having a pear that It broke my heart.
    Very often, one of her kids will call on us toward the end of the fortnight to ask for £10 for the electric meter because they have no power.
    The Tories were talking about replacing benefit with food vouchers on a Supermarket loyalty card so they were non-transferable or salable. They were also talking about giving a proportion of benefit also In vouchers that could only be re-deemed on utility bills such as gas and electric.
    After what I have seen, I have to agree with this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member kazalala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunderland UK
    Posts
    4,322
    Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    10:27 AM

    Re: Family allowance cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    My apologies to any-one reading this as I have written this post before on other threads. I myself am for It because I have a revolting neighbour who even puts getting tattoo's before feeding her children
    Every 2nd friday the only excercise this woman gets Is bending down to pick the benefit cheque up off the door mat. She has a regualr taxi booked for every fortnight on a friday night to take her to Asda where she stocks up the cheap beer and ciggs. Then she phones my friends take-away for a £30 Pizza order and has It delivered. Her children are under-fed and dirty.
    One day her little boy was In my house and asked If he could have an apple In the fruit bowl and I pointed out that there were no apples In there but they were pears. He was so excited about having a pear that It broke my heart.
    Very often, one of her kids will call on us toward the end of the fortnight to ask for £10 for the electric meter because they have no power.
    The Tories were talking about replacing benefit with food vouchers on a Supermarket loyalty card so they were non-transferable or salable. They were also talking about giving a proportion of benefit also In vouchers that could only be re-deemed on utility bills such as gas and electric.
    After what I have seen, I have to agree with this.
    as long as they can use whatever vouchers etc to provide for their childfren wether it be food, clothing, or as you say utilities ,,, i cant see why anyone should be against it


    FOC THREAD PART1
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
    Martin Luther King Jr.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,491
    Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    10:27 AM

    Re: Family allowance cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by kazalala View Post
    Just been watching the news about the decision to stop Family Allowance ( Child benefit)
    for parents who have at least one of them on £44000 or more a year. Some people on the news were saying its unfair, and what about mothers whop are on their own and making that much, or households with only one parent working making that much.
    personally i think its ok, and i would have been glad to forfeit it if i had been earning that much.
    What do you think
    That it should have been on combined family income rather than just that of the major earner.

  10. #10
    Supporting Member Rapunzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,409
    Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    11:27 AM

    Re: Family allowance cuts

    Register to remove this ad.
    I totally agree with everything said on this thread. My ex-sister-in-law used to boast about saving up her child benefit for months and then treating herself to some luxury item. She didn't need the money and she certainly never spent it on her kids.

    The school I work in is in quite a low economic area and the parents DO spend their money on booze and fags! They also ALL seem to have nice cars. Meanwhile the kids come in complaining their tummies hurt because they weren't given any breakfast! Their clothes are usually stained, the kids are often smelly and the parents buy them one pair of trainers each which they wear to school as they have no proper school shoes.

    However, will Sainsbury's (or wherever) take food vouchers for just food, or will they take them for fags as well? If they do then you're no better off. This needs to be enforced but then you're forcing a Big Brother State and also a Nanny State. Where do you draw the line?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. China cuts off Japan.
    By Scrat in forum Current Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-27-2010, 11:38 PM
  2. Racism cuts both ways....
    By Oscar Namechange in forum Current Political Events
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-03-2009, 12:56 PM
  3. Man cuts off his penis while doing DIY drunk
    By Oscar Namechange in forum Current Political Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-05-2009, 03:31 PM
  4. Did You Ever Get an Allowance?
    By cinamin in forum General Chit Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-02-2007, 05:12 PM
  5. more fedral cuts
    By thomas40 in forum Physically Challenged
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-27-2006, 09:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts