Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Family allowance cuts

Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time
    08:56 PM

Re: Family allowance cuts

Quote Originally Posted by G#Gill View Post
    I have always thought that people earning very good money should not get the child benefit, and that it should be paid to the less fortunate, the underpaid, the one-parent family etc. However, an interesting problem was mentioned on the radio (local) this afternoon. Family 'A' has mum at home looking after the children while dad works and earns £46,000 per year, so they loose their child benefit. Family 'B', next door, have both parents working full time, each bringing in £40,000 (total £80,000) therefore they qualify for child benefit ! I, personally think that the authorities should consider the sum total of earnings coming into a particular household, whilst making their decisions, like building societies do when arranging mortgages.
    I don't know about in the UK but in the US one parent must work fulltime to be able to afford child day care. $1500 a month seems about the average I think

I will agree that this benefit must be expounded on a proportionate basis.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    10:56 AM

It's means tested here. I can tell you right now, that I rely heavily on it at the moment. Oh but in saying that if you recieve Child support it cuts into the payment . So you don't get as much .

Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time

I'm curious what the allowance is if one has a 400 lb 8 year old.

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    01:56 AM

Quote Originally Posted by K.Snyder View Post
    I'm curious what the allowance is if one has a 400 lb 8 year old.
    At my old school we had a child with Prader-Willi (sp?) syndrome. She couldn't stop eating, she'd even eat things like wallpaper. She could barely talk and she was huge, poor little mite. Apparently life expectancy is not great with that illness.

Ah, but I see you're teasing us. You mean a well-fed child. Sadly, lots of poorer people do have overweight kids. The well-meaning government bods look down on these poor families and say 'the parents have no idea how to cook a nourishing meal for their children' but I once saw a poor parent reply to this. She said 'fruit and vegetables are very expensive and go rotten very quickly. When money is tight you need food that fills your children up for very little money. Frozen pizza costs £1. It is full of sugars and preservatives but it fills them up. It is cheaper to buy the kids a bag of greasy chips than it is to buy potatoes, oil, gas/electricity to cook with, ketchup and washing up liquid. A mars bar will hold off hunger for longer than an apple. 5 mars bars = £1; a bag of apples = £2.'

That might not be much of a difference for one item, but for a whole shopping basket you might pay £50 for unhealthy food but £100 for lots of healthy fruits and vegetables.

There are arguments for buying cheap fruit and veg from market stalls, but they go bad within a day or two. Also, it's very disheartening to always have to buy the cheapest of everything and have to shop in several places to keep getting the cheapest.

So if an 8 year old were to weigh 400 lbs, I would say he either had a severe illness or disability or else he was overfed but under-nourished due to living within severe financial constraints.

Banned
    Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    12:56 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
    At my old school we had a child with Prader-Willi (sp?) syndrome. .
    I am aware of this syndrome ans at last It Is being recognised and help Is getting to the young sufferers.

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    I am aware of this syndrome ans at last It Is being recognised and help Is getting to the young sufferers.
    But as always, not enough help and it's not given fast enough.

Also, recognition is slow. Very few people still seem to be aware of this condition and it's many serious and sad side effects, such as, children with this disease can become sexually mature at 5 years old. Girls with this syndrome can start their periods at 5 years old. For a child who can barely talk, who can understand so very little, who cannot even write her own name yet, this is a massive thing to accept and deal with.

Her parents are not a huge amount of help. Her dad adores her but her mum can't cope with her. She is not allowed ANY sugar as she is very short but already, literally, as round as a beachball. She has free school meals. Every day the free school meal has a pudding such as a biscuit, a small cake or a small pot of icecream. Jasmin is offered fruit, but refuses it. She wants biscuit, cake and icecream like the other kids. Her mum said 'well give her half.' Half a cake, half a biscuit, half a tub of ice cream. The other teachers are furious. They ask, whats the point of giving her all this medication and trying to stop her eating so much when mum feeds her sugar every day? I don't say anything. But Jasmin just wants to be like the other kids. She has this illness, it's not going to go away, is it really SO bad that she has a little of what her friends have? She is 6 years old, with a mental age of about 3. How can she understand that she cannot have something because it is not healthy for her, when she sees her other classmates eating it? Again, where do you draw the line? And how do you draw the line?

PS. Jasmin is the correct spelling, she used to scream at you if you stuck an E on the end.

Okay, rant over. Getting off my soap-box now.

Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time

At my old school we had a child with Prader-Willi (sp?) syndrome. She couldn't stop eating, she'd even eat things like wallpaper. She could barely talk and she was huge, poor little mite. Apparently life expectancy is not great with that illness.

Ah, but I see you're teasing us. You mean a well-fed child. Sadly, lots of poorer people do have overweight kids. The well-meaning government bods look down on these poor families and say 'the parents have no idea how to cook a nourishing meal for their children' but I once saw a poor parent reply to this.
    "how to cook a nourishing meal for their children'"? They're being held hostage ffs!
    She said 'fruit and vegetables are very expensive and go rotten very quickly. When money is tight you need food that fills your children up for very little money. Frozen pizza costs £1. It is full of sugars and preservatives but it fills them up.
    I think this actually proves the above statement.
    It is cheaper to buy the kids a bag of greasy chips than it is to buy potatoes, oil, gas/electricity to cook with, ketchup and washing up liquid. A mars bar will hold off hunger for longer than an apple. 5 mars bars = £1; a bag of apples = £2.'

That might not be much of a difference for one item, but for a whole shopping basket you might pay £50 for unhealthy food but £100 for lots of healthy fruits and vegetables.

There are arguments for buying cheap fruit and veg from market stalls, but they go bad within a day or two. Also, it's very disheartening to always have to buy the cheapest of everything and have to shop in several places to keep getting the cheapest.

So if an 8 year old were to weigh 400 lbs, I would say he either had a severe illness or disability or else he was overfed but under-nourished due to living within severe financial constraints.
    Well I personally find this to be untrue. The unhealthy products are more expensive because that's what the people buy. Case in point is beef and chicken liver. $0.50/lb. along with breads and canned vegetables are extremely cheap. Canned vegetables can be kept for months and years so wise spending will serve to help them in the long run. Unhealthy food being cheaper is just not true. Yes, fruits and vegetables spoil rapidly but with boiling water and mason jars one can make their own jam and fruit preserves. Nope what we have here is good old fashioned ignorance with a hint of fast food on top. I can literally make a fantastic chicken liver dinner with spinach and potatoes for two, all under 6$ with plenty of second helpings. Add some stewed Mexican style tomatoes and is enough to make your mouth water. In fact, I'm quite positive I could still purchase tomatoes and still be under $6.

So now that we take the grocery store out of the equation, considering the money is not the underlining factor(Unless of course extreme ignorance closer to the scale of mental retardation is obvious) then we must conclude that laziness is the key motivator to spend that "little" extra money to have others prepare the food for them.

What I propose?

An autobahn lane through McDonalds. It's a lane that never stops. People race passed in their vehicles throwing bills and coins out of the window into a trough to then have the merchant in the subsequent window throw the food through the drivers window.

Within minutes people will have discovered that leaving their passenger door window up is the precursor for "best" results.

I'd mentioned an innovative way to deal with this population. All of the proceeds will go toward the demand for such an obviously brilliant idea that of course would better benefit the whole of society the sole rights were in the hands of the government

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time

An interesting reply. I'm not quite sure whom you think is being held hostage, the government, the parents or the children?

And sadly, I don't know any children who'd eat a chicken liver dinner with spinach, but that's beside the point.

Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time

An interesting reply. I'm not quite sure whom you think is being held hostage, the government, the parents or the children?
    Well, it's a bit ironic considering it's the parents that initiates their own eventual procurement. It's obviously parentnapping in all it's "glory".
    And sadly, I don't know any children who'd eat a chicken liver dinner with spinach, but that's beside the point.
    They surely have in history when kids didn't have fluffy beds, air conditioners and toothpaste. Scotland I'm sure you're familiar with takes great pride in wrapping the guts of a sheep into it's own stomach lining and serving it hot and steaming in all of it's "natural" custom. Good ole Scottish tradition, that

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Have you tasted haggis??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast