Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Will we ever be able to look beyond color??

Local Date
    06-07-2020
    Local Time
    12:39 AM

Premium Member
    Local Date
    06-07-2020
    Local Time

Re: Will we ever be able to look beyond color??

Local Date
    06-06-2020
    Local Time
    11:39 PM

"Pendulum swings, like a pendulum do..."
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    06-07-2020
    Local Time

I don't think it will be easy times getting past color, gender or sexual orientation despite all our back patting pride in our own acceptance of those who are different from us.
    I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.
    Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    06-07-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by flopstock View Post
    I don't think it will be easy times getting past color, gender or sexual orientation despite all our back patting pride in our own acceptance of those who are different from us.
    Nor should it be necessary to get past it. The fact is that it's quite natural to discriminate when we are choosing the father or mother best suited for our offspring, the problem arises when we discriminate financially or otherwise. We have an obligation to respect every living person IMO.

As humans we have difficulty distinguishing what it is going on within us. Our genes are directing us to discriminate on one level and our brain on another, but since we refuse to acknowledge the fact that we are gene driven biologically, we become confused and make a mess of things by over analyzing, overreacting or over moralizing.

anomaly
    Local Date
    06-06-2020
    Local Time
    10:39 PM

"the black vote" "the feminist vote" etc... these are political analyst lingo terms. The terms arose out of statistical studies performed by highly paid individuals who are good at assessing trends. So, I'd guess that when people stop voting or acting in categorical fashions then they'll stop referring to them that way. We also have the "farmer vote" and groups that aren't based on gender or race. We'll still be left with those.

Local Date
    06-07-2020
    Local Time
    06:39 PM

Don't forget the SENIOR VOTE. There are many of them, many affluent, and a very high percentage of them vote.

Local Date
    06-07-2020
    Local Time
    06:39 AM

For as long as a politician can promise to promote the well being of one group over those of another, or it is perceived that he will, you'll get group voting in elections.

As far as I can see, that will happen for as long as the setting of policy is out of the hands of those we elect to "represent" us. when you're not voting for their policies, their influence is all they have left.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    06-07-2020
    Local Time

Or at least recognize and speak to the perceived needs of a group.

Local Date
    06-07-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by koan View Post
    "the black vote" "the feminist vote" etc... these are political analyst lingo terms. The terms arose out of statistical studies performed by highly paid individuals who are good at assessing trends. So, I'd guess that when people stop voting or acting in categorical fashions then they'll stop referring to them that way. We also have the "farmer vote" and groups that aren't based on gender or race. We'll still be left with those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    For as long as a politician can promise to promote the well being of one group over those of another, or it is perceived that he will, you'll get group voting in elections.

As far as I can see, that will happen for as long as the setting of policy is out of the hands of those we elect to "represent" us. when you're not voting for their policies, their influence is all they have left.
    It's the grouping by color rather than an actual meaningful category that I object to. "Black" does not mean all black people, and "Latino" spans such a diverse and disparate group that it's meaningless to anyone interested in anything beyond the most superficial stereotypes.

Those stereotypes say that all Blacks and Latinos are uneducated, penniless, and dependent on government largess for survival. It ignores the facts that Americans of every hue and ethnic group occupy all strata of society, and that most uneducated, penniless, dependent people are white.

I would much rather hear them talk about going after the poor vote, the urban vote, or any number of other categories without relying on old, false, racist stereotypes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast