Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Teacher's Suicide Blamed on Test Scores

  1. #1
    Senior Member Saint_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The High Rockies
    Posts
    3,223
    Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time
    11:58 PM

    Teacher's Suicide Blamed on Test Scores

    Or as I like to call it, "Completely and Totally Screwed Up."

    Here's a good, award-winning, and beloved teacher, willing to work with poor and disadvantaged minorities who can barely speak English, and he is vilified in the press for it. This country is screwed. I can retire in four years and I'm not looking back. Further, I'm recommending to anyone I can find to listen that they NOT EVER consider becoming a teacher.

    As a teacher at an Alternative High School I'm in EXACTLY the same boat as this poor dude. I may bring kids up from a fourth grade level in math to a eighth grade level in a single year, four year's worth of progress where other teachers failed, but since they don't make it to a ninth grade level, I'm a failure.

    Hey, you got a student that ditched 85 days of your class then failed the test? Too bad..that's YOUR fault. It's absolutely unbelievable.

    News | tweentribune.com



    R.I.P Rigo...you did your best and had to die for it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Saint_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The High Rockies
    Posts
    3,223
    Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time
    11:58 PM

    Re: Teacher's Suicide Blamed on Test Scores

    By all accounts, Ruelas did not shy away from problem kids.
    Parents and former students described him as a mentor to youth tempted to join gangs and a tireless booster that low-income children could make it to college. He often stayed after school to tutor struggling kids and offer counseling so they stayed on the straight and narrow.

    This is the kind of guy we label as a failure in our society? America is completely doomed...

  3. #3
    Premium Member flopstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,459
    Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    12:58 AM

    Re: Teacher's Suicide Blamed on Test Scores

    I think it is a shame that this guys death is being used as a tool to try and manipulate the Times. Or was he the only teacher with this rating?

    Are grades really a fair measurement of a students progress or is it simply what we have to work with when measuring their progress at this time? Teachers routinely hand out F's. Are we next going to ask the teachers unions to quit failing kids so that they don't feel bad about themselves?

    This poor fella had issues or he would have found a better solution. It's sad. And it's wrong to use it in this manner, IMO.
    I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.
    Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.

  4. #4
    Proudly humble LarsMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    usually on the road to somewhere.
    Posts
    10,662
    Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time
    11:58 PM

    Re: Teacher's Suicide Blamed on Test Scores

    As usual, there is probably more to the story than we get from the media.

    Being a good teacher is a heartbreaking task.

    It is always sad when a good teacher is lost.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

  5. #5
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    9,888
    Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    12:58 AM

    Re: Teacher's Suicide Blamed on Test Scores

    Quote Originally Posted by flopstock View Post
    I think it is a shame that this guys death is being used as a tool to try and manipulate the Times. Or was he the only teacher with this rating?

    Are grades really a fair measurement of a students progress or is it simply what we have to work with when measuring their progress at this time? Teachers routinely hand out F's. Are we next going to ask the teachers unions to quit failing kids so that they don't feel bad about themselves?
    I agree. Check your sanctimony at the door please.

    Quote Originally Posted by flopstock View Post
    This poor fella had issues or he would have found a better solution. It's sad. And it's wrong to use it in this manner, IMO.
    He had issues with living and made the decision to check out, as was his right to do, though I hope he didn't leave any of his own children behind without at least an explanation. Was he married with children?

  6. #6
    Proudly humble LarsMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    usually on the road to somewhere.
    Posts
    10,662
    Local Date
    11-13-2019
    Local Time
    11:58 PM

    Re: Teacher's Suicide Blamed on Test Scores

    I've heard it said, and tend to agree, Suicide is the ultimate temper tantrum.

    But, sometimes, the pain and despair just gets to be too much, and there doesn't seem to be a way out.
    I have been there.
    I can see where something like that article, after all the work he did, could be the last shove over the edge.

    Then again, he could have pissed off some gang-bangers who pushed him off the bridge, too.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

  7. #7
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    9,888
    Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    12:58 AM

    Re: Teacher's Suicide Blamed on Test Scores

    Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    I've heard it said, and tend to agree, Suicide is the ultimate temper tantrum.

    But, sometimes, the pain and despair just gets to be too much, and there doesn't seem to be a way out.
    I have been there.
    I can see where something like that article, after all the work he did, could be the last shove over the edge.

    Then again, he could have pissed off some gang-bangers who pushed him off the bridge, too.
    Former students even.

  8. #8
    Premium Member flopstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,459
    Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    12:58 AM

    Re: Teacher's Suicide Blamed on Test Scores

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    I agree. Check your sanctimony at the door please.

    He had issues with living and made the decision to check out, as was his right to do, though I hope he didn't leave any of his own children behind without at least an explanation. Was he married with children?
    That is one of the things that bothers me. The guy was obviously ill or else how could any of these folks suggest he is a great teacher and yet left his students with this life lesson on dealing with things. I can't believe that if he was not dealing with some severe issues he wouldn't have considered the affect on his students.
    I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.
    Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.

  9. #9
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    9,888
    Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    12:58 AM

    Re: Teacher's Suicide Blamed on Test Scores

    Quote Originally Posted by flopstock View Post
    That is one of the things that bothers me. The guy was obviously ill or else how could any of these folks suggest he is a great teacher and yet left his students with this life lesson on dealing with things. I can't believe that if he was not dealing with some severe issues he wouldn't have considered the affect on his students.
    Maybe he did consider. I don't see suicide as such a horrible choice, but that's just me. Perhaps this person simply decided he was done, or for all we know LarsMac may be right about the homicide theory, or he may have recently learned he was terminally ill. Who knows.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Boogalette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    169
    Local Date
    11-14-2019
    Local Time
    01:58 AM

    Re: Teacher's Suicide Blamed on Test Scores

    Register to remove this ad.
    Performance scores should remain private, firstly.

    I feel bad for him and his family. He must have seen no other opportunity to rectify the situation, and felt this was the only option left.

    Poor guy.
    Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.~ De Seuss

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Arcade Now Keeping Track of Scores
    By Tombstone in forum Problems, Solutions & Feedback
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 07:27 PM
  2. Today is World Teacher's Day!
    By Rapunzel in forum General Chit Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2006, 07:52 AM
  3. only a test dont panic test test testing
    By Nomad in forum Test Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-13-2005, 07:09 PM
  4. Glazer scores at last
    By polycarp in forum Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-17-2005, 07:54 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts