Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Prayer Requests.

Local Date
    06-16-2019
    Local Time
    07:14 AM

Re: Prayer Requests.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite light View Post
    It may be "honest and open," but it is not rational, in my opinion.

I could make a voodoo doll, pray to it, and claim just as easily that my doll has answered all my prayers. However, if there is nothing to back up my supernatural claims, then I should not be surprised if others reject those claims. If one wants to go around praising God for every little thing--happenstance included--that's their business. But when someone says they know God answers their prayers, I'd like to know why that's any different than my voodoo doll; that is, what do they know in their faith that I fail to know in mine? and if there is no difference, then why not just make voodoo dolls, and save the gas to church?
    I have moments in my life, inbetween thought, when I'm in awe of whatever it is...I can't explain it, it's not rational but it's beautiful beyond words. And, for me, it's real. Now, whatever I call whatever it is, when I'm in my usual mode, is merely what I call it. And you're right, it could be God, a voodoo doll or anything. But somehow and sometimes I feel a sense of this in something I read, or hear, or see. That's how binbag's post felt to me, and one of your earlier posts too.

I'm not really sure if what I'm saying here makes sense but well...
    Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke

Local Date
    06-16-2019
    Local Time
    01:14 AM

Quote Originally Posted by theia View Post
    I have moments in my life, inbetween thought, when I'm in awe of whatever it is...I can't explain it, it's not rational but it's beautiful beyond words. And, for me, it's real. Now, whatever I call whatever it is, when I'm in my usual mode, is merely what I call it. And you're right, it could be God, a voodoo doll or anything. But somehow and sometimes I feel a sense of this in something I read, or hear, or see. That's how binbag's post felt to me, and one of your earlier posts too.

I'm not really sure if what I'm saying here makes sense but well...
    There's nothing wrong with being "in awe." After all, we humans know very little of the universe. But being "awed" by the universe is not proof of God;it only proves our ability to be overwhelmed emotionally. I could be "awed" by all the sin and sickness in the world and conclude that there is no God, since why would a supreme being create such a horribly defective world? Why should the "awe" of a theist be worth any more than an athiest's or agnostic's?

Local Date
    06-16-2019
    Local Time
    07:14 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite light View Post
    There's nothing wrong with being "in awe." After all, we humans know very little of the universe. But being "awed" by the universe is not proof of God;it only proves our ability to be overwhelmed emotionally. I could be "awed" by all the sin and sickness in the world and conclude that there is no God, since why would a supreme being create such a horribly defective world? Why should the "awe" of a theist be worth any more than an athiest's or agnostic's?
    I'm not trying to prove God, it would be impossible for me to do so, I'm sure. And, for me, those moments are, yes, overwhelming, but overwhelming in an unspeakable way, not in an emotional way because they seem to be beyond thought and emotion. For
    me, again, I don't believe that this whatever creates all the sin and sickness in the world because in one of those moments, those things don't exist...they can't because there is no time.
    Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke

Local Date
    06-16-2019
    Local Time
    08:14 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by theia View Post
    binbag, I'm really loving the honest and open way you are responding to Infinite's questions. How refreshing, and inspiring.
    Thank you for your very kind words theia. I'm truly flattered you should think so.

Hi Infinite light.

1:
    [quote]It may be "honest and open," but it is not rational, in my opinion.[end quote]
    That is your personal opinion and nobody is preventing you from having that opinion, you are perfectly free and have the freedom of choice to adopt that opinion, nobody is stopping you.

2:
    [quote]I could make a voodoo doll, pray to it, and claim just as easily that my doll has answered all my prayers.[end quote]
    If you had a mind to make a voodoo doll, pray to it, and claim your doll has answered all your prayers, nobody would prevent you, you have the freedom of choice to do so, nobody would stop you.
    Someone may attempt to stop you, but again, you have the freedom of choice to hold on to your particular belief.

3:
    If one wants to go around praising God for every little thing--happenstance included--that's their business.[end quote]
    Who is going around praising God for every little thing?

4:
    [quote]But when someone says they know God answers their prayers, I'd like to know why that's any different than my voodoo doll; that is, what do they know in their faith that I fail to know in mine? [end quote]
    Your "Voodo Doll" faith and my Christian faith are two subjects you would need to study in order to differentiate both subjects, for yourself.
    When it involves Christianity, you must prove all things to yourself.

5:
    [quote]and if there is no difference, then why not just make voodoo dolls, and save the gas to church?[end quote]
    Nobody is preventing you from doing that very thing. Once again, you are perfectly free to do so.

Warmest regards.
    Just above the clouds
    the sun is always shining.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7