Thread: Prayer Requests.

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time
    01:40 AM

Re: Prayer Requests.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite light View Post

Binbag:

Can I ask you something? Have you ever known prayer to work? And, if yes, why do you think it works?

I know this is the Christian room, so it would be rude of me to storm in here with my anti-Christian views, ticking people off. Even though I'm very much anti-Christian, I do try to be respectful to Christians. I'm only curious to know on what you base your belief in the "power of prayer."
    Apologies for my delay in replying Infinite light.
    You've posted a very interesting question, and I must add, I admire your honesty and politeness.

Simply put, I base my belief in prayer from a lifelong experience of using prayer in any given circumstance that requires a prayer request.
    I can also tell you, God has "always" answered my prayer requests.... without fail. I've never had a prayer request go unanswered.
    Now that's a huge claim, so it must really be up to your good-self whether you wish to accept or consider that utter nonsense.

The power of prayer, as far as I'm concerned, is the greatest free gift a Christians has been given to use, even at a moments notice if required.

I hope that goes some small way in answering your excellent question

My very good wishes to you.

Binbag.

Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time
    06:40 PM

Quote Originally Posted by binbag View Post
    Apologies for my delay in replying Infinite light.
    You've posted a very interesting question, and I must add, I admire your honesty and politeness.

Simply put, I base my belief in prayer from a lifelong experience of using prayer in any given circumstance that requires a prayer request.
    I can also tell you, God has "always" answered my prayer requests.... without fail. I've never had a prayer request go unanswered.
    Now that's a huge claim, so it must really be up to your good-self whether you wish to accept or consider that utter nonsense.

The power of prayer, as far as I'm concerned, is the greatest free gift a Christians has been given to use, even at a moments notice if required.

I hope that goes some small way in answering your excellent question

My very good wishes to you.

Binbag.
    Thanks for responding.

But more to the heart of the matter, how do you know God has answered your prayer? How is it that you are so certain the outcome has been determined to some degree by a being called God? that's what I really need to know. Don't get me wrong, you may have a knowledge that I lack, and it's that knowledge that I'd like to acquire. And I might agree, if prayer works, then the power of prayer may truly be the "greatest free gift" for Christians.

Has it been the case that your "lifelong experience" has included stunning reversals? amazing miracles? or events that appear to be supernatural? Further, if that be the case, then please share your reasoning that causes you to conclude that those reversals, miracles, or apparent supernatural events were caused by a supreme being. Is it not possible that the outcome might have been the same, even without prayer? Stated bluntly, could it not have been your overly gracious imagination?

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite light View Post
    Thanks for responding.

But more to the heart of the matter, how do you know God has answered your prayer? How is it that you are so certain the outcome has been determined to some degree by a being called God? that's what I really need to know. Don't get me wrong, you may have a knowledge that I lack, and it's that knowledge that I'd like to acquire. And I might agree, if prayer works, then the power of prayer may truly be the "greatest free gift" for Christians.

Has it been the case that your "lifelong experience" has included stunning reversals? amazing miracles? or events that appear to be supernatural? Further, if that be the case, then please share your reasoning that causes you to conclude that those reversals, miracles, or apparent supernatural events were caused by a supreme being. Is it not possible that the outcome might have been the same, even without prayer? Stated bluntly, could it not have been your overly gracious imagination?

Hello Infinite Light,
    I hope you can understand this reply, as I was interrupted several times while typing, but I didn't want to delay posting any longer.

I learned never to try and work out or visualize how my prayer request/s is/are going to be handled.
    They always were/are answered in an altogether different manner than I ever possibly could have imagined.

When I offer a prayer request to God I leave it in His hands and allow Him to handle it in the manner He thinks fit.

If, however, an opportunity arises that just may be part of resolving the prayer request, then I'll use it in a positive manner.
    For all I know, it could be God offering that opportunity to partially help or completely resolve the prayer request myself.

After asking God for advice or help via prayer, I never sit back with my feet up drinking coffee whilst watching television expecting Him to get on with it.

I make sure I'm alert, ready, and willing to use an opportunity I feel may possibly be part of the solution of my request.

I would stress again I never ever try to work out or visualize the manner in which God answers my prayer requests. And He "Always" does answer.

I've never treated answers to prayer requests as imagination, something that was going to happen anyway, or something without any outside intervention or supernatural causes.

Supreme being, yes.....God.

"Is it not possible that the outcome might have been the same, even without prayer?"
    Yes indeed, that's very possible on occasions.

Best wishes.
    Just above the clouds
    the sun is always shining.

Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by binbag View Post

"Is it not possible that the outcome might have been the same, even without prayer?"
    Yes indeed, that's very possible on occasions.

Best wishes.
    I snipped this one part from your response because I felt it was the one line that came close to answering my post. So if you can focus on this one spot and let me ask these questions: how do you differentiate between those times when you know God answered your prayers from those times you aren't so sure? What is it about some situations that tell without doubt that God was behind the outcome, while in other situations you know the outcome to have been due to "natural" causes?

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

Hello again Infinite light.

You initially posed the question......

I repled....."Yes indeed, that's very possible on occasions."

Now then.

1:
    You ask the question....
    "How do you differentiate between those times when you know God answered your prayers from those times you aren't so sure?"
    I never mentioned I differentiate between those times you mention above.

2:
    You ask the question....
    What is it about some situations that tell without doubt that God was behind the outcome, while in other situations you know the outcome to have been due to "natural" causes?
    I never alluded to the situations you refer to above.

Warmest regards.
    Just above the clouds

Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time

binbag,

You had said this in an earlier post: When I offer a prayer request to God I leave it in His hands and allow Him to handle it in the manner He thinks fit.

You said God handles "it," the implication being that there are situations in your life that call for prayer, and that as a result of that prayer, God intervenes on your behalf. I say that because later in the same post you say, "And He "Always" does answer."

So I just wanted to know how you were able to differentiate between those times when God answered your prayers from other times where it is simply old-fashioned happenstance.

That's a fair question, ain't it?

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

Hi.

[quote]That's a fair question, ain't it?[end quote]
    Yes, you're question is very fair, Infinite light.

What I was pointing out is that my answer.....
    "Yes indeed, that's very possible on occasions", was specifically referring to your previous question.....
    [quote]Is it not possible that the outcome might have been the same, even without prayer?[end quote]

(An avoidance of misunderstandings between any question and the resulting answer, if you will)

So, to answer your latest questions......

1:
    [quote]You had said this in an earlier post: When I offer a prayer request to God I leave it in His hands and allow Him to handle it in the manner He thinks fit.[end quote]
    Yes, that's correct.

2:
    [quote]You said God handles "it," the implication being that there are situations in your life that call for prayer, and that as a result of that prayer, God intervenes on your behalf.][end quote]
    That's correct, except it's not an implication, it's a statement of fact.

3:
    [quote]I say that because later in the same post you say, "And He "Always" does answer.[end quote]
    Yes that's correct, God always answers prayer requests.

4:
    [quote]So I just wanted to know how you were able to differentiate between those times when God answered your prayers from other times where it is simply old-fashioned happenstance.[end quote]
    I'm unaware of any answered prayer that came about "simply by old-fashioned happenstance". If, however, my mind was opened to the fact the answer to any prayer was/or coincided with "old-fashioned happenstance", I would thank God for allowing that "old-fashioned happenstance" to come about.
    Just above the clouds

Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time

binbag,

I'm unaware of any answered prayer that came about "simply by old-fashioned happenstance". If, however, my mind was opened to the fact the answer to any prayer was/or coincided with "old-fashioned happenstance" I would thank God for allowing that "old-fashioned happenstance" to come about

Well, maybe it would be better to praise "old-fashioned happenstance" than to praise God, since without proof of God, happenstance is the more rational choice.

Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time
    12:40 AM

binbag, I'm really loving the honest and open way you are responding to Infinite's questions. How refreshing, and inspiring.
    Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke

Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by theia View Post
    binbag, I'm really loving the honest and open way you are responding to Infinite's questions. How refreshing, and inspiring.
    It may be "honest and open," but it is not rational, in my opinion.

I could make a voodoo doll, pray to it, and claim just as easily that my doll has answered all my prayers. However, if there is nothing to back up my supernatural claims, then I should not be surprised if others reject those claims. If one wants to go around praising God for every little thing--happenstance included--that's their business. But when someone says they know God answers their prayers, I'd like to know why that's any different than my voodoo doll; that is, what do they know in their faith that I fail to know in mine? and if there is no difference, then why not just make voodoo dolls, and save the gas to church?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast