Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: EVERYBODY SHOULD SEE THIS - and make up their own minds what it's all about.

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    01:52 PM

EVERYBODY SHOULD SEE THIS - and make up their own minds what it's all about.

I was sent this in an email today, and I just had to share it.
    (I had to upload it to YouTube so I could put it on Forum Garden)

This is a beautiful story, but no words needed!

Edit:-
    Obviously it is a promotional film for cancer support of some sort. I have edited this OP because in the thread there have been one or two cynical comments. I'm afraid I cannot see why there should be such an outburst over this little film.

Although I do not speak Spanish, it would seem that the story runs as follows:-

The little girl decides to cut a lot of her hair off, at first I thought 'the little madam! she's for the high jump'. She collects all the cuttings up into her dress (using it like a basket), and runs to the front door, she opens it and there is mum and dad with the little girl's older brother. They have obviously returned from a visit to hospital, where the boy has been undergoing treatment. The little boy has a big smile on his face, to see his little sister, but mum and dad have a look of horror at seeing their daughter's mutilated hair! The little girl gives a handful of her hair to her brother who accepts it with a smile, removes his cap to reveal a totally bald head and places his cap on his sister's head.

There is no dialogue except a brief statement in Spanish at the very end, probably something to do with fundraising for a cancer charity, and there is only some gentle music running as background to the film.

I believe this little film is beautiful, in that it shows a certain deep love that can exist between a brother and a sister.

I cannot see why some members should feel it necessary to pass cynical comments about this video, but it seems that they are compelled to do so. They must think that there is an abuse of children by using them in such a manner in this film, I really have no idea. What I do know is that a family I know of in my locality had a spot of bother with their son, who wanted to give his hair to his little sister, in similar circumstances, but it was too short to be of any use. So the boy insisted that his head be shaved so that his little sister would not 'stand out' so much, by looking different. The boy was 9 and his sister who had had the cancer treatment was 7. Yes I believe she did recover.

YouTube - Gesto de amor
    Last edited by G#Gill; 11-27-2010 at 07:41 PM.
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Re: EVERYBODY SHOULD SEE THIS - and make up their own minds what it's all about

Bump
    Last edited by G#Gill; 11-27-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Re: EVERYBODY SHOULD SEE THIS - It is so beautiful !

It's the con-trick heading "The Video That Won First Place At Cannes" that put me off. There's the Cannes Film Festival which is what "Won First Place At Cannes" implies, and there's Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival which gives awards only to adverts and has sod all to do with the Cannes Film Festival at all. "The Video That Won First Place At Cannes" is a majorly grubby hook.

eta: Not that I can find an award from Cannes Lions either, I'm merely giving it the benefit of the doubt for the moment. A more accurate description's available elsewhere - "Produced by Niños con Cáncer, asociación AFANOC (Association for Children with Cancer), this Spanish Cancer advertisement is so good, some people claim it won a prestigious award". I wonder whether it did.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    It's the con-trick heading "The Video That Won First Place At Cannes" that put me off. There's the Cannes Film Festival which is what "Won First Place At Cannes" implies, and there's Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival which gives awards only to adverts and has sod all to do with the Cannes Film Festival at all. "The Video That Won First Place At Cannes" is a majorly grubby hook.

OK Mr. Spot, maybe you are correct and I have no reason to doubt your knowledge. Perhaps the reference to Cannes should have been left out. Whatever the ins and outs, the 'grubby hooks' etc. the video is still a rather delightful and heart-warming film, don't you think?

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by G#Gill View Post
    OK Mr. Spot, maybe you are correct and I have no reason to doubt your knowledge. Perhaps the reference to Cannes should have been left out. Whatever the ins and outs, the 'grubby hooks' etc. the video is still a rather delightful and heart-warming film, don't you think?
    I've not looked. Honestly. My best guess is it'd make me puke.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

OK. But I just thought that it was a lovely little story, with no dialogue. I suppose the female is more sloppy sentimental than the male. Does it tell you anything in Snopes?

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Does it tell you anything in Snopes?
    I've not looked, it's a foreign-language commercial advert for a Spanish cancer charity. If I had to think of the most obscure topic in the history of the planet it would be foreign-language commercial adverts for Spanish cancer charities. It's designed to engage the viewer's emotions, that's its function. I rather detested Saturday Night Fever for doing the same thing. I don't mind it happening but I'm not prepared to let a director do it when it's his primary aim. It's an allowable by-product of some other ambition.

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

I really can't be doing with all the deep analysis, spot, sorry, I know you mean well but I only posted the video because I thought it was a nicely thought out story. Yes of course it was deliberately constructed to tug at heart strings, so what? There are times when clinically cynical are allowed to be left on the back burner, IMO

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

There are times when clinically cynical are allowed to be left on the back burner, IMO
    No there aren't. The road to hell begins with a single well-intentioned step.

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Well I've had it then, judging from my recent track record on the open board.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast