+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethical cuisine

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    12:43 AM

Ethical cuisine

I have meditated on the matter of food as it relates to exploitation.

Currently, as I understand it, most people regard the inclusion of human flesh in their diet as unethical. And rightly so, who could disagree.

Some go further still and declare all primates to be off the menu. This doesn't apply where primates are readily available for slaughter in the wild, the concept of a free lunch being universal.

Some religious practices abhor this or that on the grounds that God will smite them in the afterlife if they indulge their appetite for bacon or oysters or camels.

None of them go far enough, in my opinion. I offer you my own conclusions: no human should consume any multicellular lifeform, on the grounds of consanguinity. We're too closely related to the pig, the lamprey or the cous-cous to terminate its life just to enjoy its flavour.

Growing any multicellular species for the purpose of eating it should be the subject of an international treaty outlawing it worldwide. I call for the founding of a Food Crimes Tribunal.

I'm not so sure about whether eating something that died a natural death is ethical but I suspect it ought to be. Trees felled by high wind, for example, or accidentally electrocuted swans.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

I think, therefore I post chonsigirl's Avatar
    Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time
    07:43 PM

Re: Ethical cuisine

Be a bland wake feast for you, spot...........no meat, no veggies. What about milk and eggs? Or is that cruel punishment to the critters involved?

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time

All you need do is substitute a human for the animal or plant involved and ask whether it's currently acceptable. If we don't farm humans in order to milk them every day then we shouldn't exploit cows for the purpose, they're related. Slicing the bark of maple trees and bleeding them is pretty gross too.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    01:43 AM

I am baffled, that's easy I know.....but what do you suggest we eat ?
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    I am baffled, that's easy I know.....but what do you suggest we eat ?
    Algae seem very suitable. One can grow every requirement for sustenance as algae and (given the research and commercial demand) process them into whatever form of food the public wants. All of it's there, potentially cheaper than any existing farming system and eliminating the ethical quandary I raised.

The primary ingredients required by production systems based on algae are the same as on a farm but without the multicellular victims: light, carbon dioxide and water. The balance of other chemicals is minimal compared to those three. What you end up with on the plate or in the glass is potentially comparable to what you buy in the shops today.

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    11:43 AM

Road kill?

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    01:43 PM

Since seeing the film "Soylent Green" with Charlton Heston many years ago I thought what a wonderful and practical idea.
    Re-processing the dead into a biscuit or wafer.

Soylent Green (1973) - IMDb

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Re-processing the dead into a biscuit or wafer.
    Biscuit or wafer might catch on. Stew, on the other hand, seems less likely.

Delorean's roadkill is an interesting one. Anybody driving headlong into a wild bird or herbivore would presumably be pleased to take it home and roast its muscles for lunch and there's certainly no ethical objection I could come up with, nor would I wish to. I do think it says a lot, though, that there's a restrictive range people would apply to what's acceptable roadkill and what isn't. If you list a few species and take a vote, I reckon you'd find the following:

Highly acceptable roast roadkill: peacock cassowary ostrich elk boar giraffe.

Completely unacceptable roast roadkill: vulture (despite Lon's assertion years back!) seagull eagle bear cat koala.

I'm interested that the list would be commonplace. I think it's culture-conditioned - I bet Genghis Khan's Mongol horde would have eaten any and all of those. They were said to kill and eat each other when nothing else could be found. Mind you they had many biased detractors, Genghis was the Gaddafi of his day.

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    01:43 PM

New Zealand does not have any predatory animals or snakes, they do however have zillions of possums which seem to blanket the highways and roadways. New Zealanders have made good use of their fur by combining it with Marino Wool to make very soft and warm scarves and gloves. Eating them though, they don't do. I'll betcha that early day Maori's ate them though.

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time
    05:43 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    Given that most life-forms are busy consuming other life-forms, I must disagree with OP, here.
    In fact it would seem to me that pretty much anything alive is fair game.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast