Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Ethical cuisine

Local Date
    10-24-2019
    Local Time
    03:50 AM

Re: Ethical cuisine

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    What's the temperature like two miles down?
    It's all coming up from below, right? So what's in the first quarter mile of the basement? Generators, that's what. And the power generated is expended further up, thereby allowing the heat to get where it was going while being useful in the process. Anywhere you have a temperature gradient you have the potential to run a civilization.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    08:50 PM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I think I started the thread with the premise that this stuff was to be grown in vats, not that we'd go out with superfine mesh nets and trawl the oceans.

As far as the natural environment's concerned I'd be pleased if it and those living in it had absolutely no contact whatever either with humans or with the consequence of any human activity, and that it occupied as close to the entire surface of the planet as possible while still allowing us a way on and off now and then.

Nobody else is using the inside, we're technologically capable of living in there, we'd not be taking up anything else's space, it's an ideal way forward. I estimate we could increase human numbers on the planet to ten thousand billion by building downward just within a two-mile belt and each of us end up with apartments ten times our current size, while leaving the surface entirely to the other life-forms.
    All great ideas start out with a simple plan and humans manage to screw them up.
    Yours is pretty good for humans when they begin to actually venture out from Home Planet. A long term project like the ram scoop transports that guys like Niven dreamed up with artificially lit algae vats to produce food stuff would be great for colonial trips.

As for Mother Earth, A troglodite society, living underground, and eating algae would be fine, as long as I get to be one of the "Barbarians" that roam the surface, feasting upon the vast array of life forms Mother Nature has provide, perfectly willing to return to the mud from which we were extracted when our life form is no longer functional.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    10-24-2019
    Local Time
    03:50 PM

Interesting Pizza.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Road-Kill-Pizza--41864.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	35871  

Local Date
    10-24-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    As for Mother Earth, A troglodite society, living underground, and eating algae would be fine, as long as I get to be one of the "Barbarians" that roam the surface, feasting upon the vast array of life forms Mother Nature has provide, perfectly willing to return to the mud from which we were extracted when our life form is no longer functional.
    I'm trying to remember what film that's from - I have a horrid suspicion it had either Michael York or Sean Connery in it. Neither were on their best form.

Michael York, on reflection, never had a best form.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    10-24-2019
    Local Time

The wheels turn slowly but they finally start to grind...

"A Singapore-based company aiming to make seafood by growing them from cells rather than animals secures $4.6m (£3.53m) in funding".

Local Date
    10-24-2019
    Local Time
    01:50 PM

I don't eat any seafood from Asia. So that's me out

Local Date
    10-24-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    I don't eat any seafood from Asia. So that's me out
    I'm not sure you entirely followed the "growing them from cells rather than animals" bit. The product being developed will never have seen the sea and will never have been seafood, it will have been brainless single-celled organisms with no nervous system, it will have been grown in large industrial vats the size of oil tankers. The investors are hoping to pass this off as seafood when it appears in restaurants, that's all.

Local Date
    10-24-2019
    Local Time
    01:50 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    No, I got that bit . It's like the "bovine" patties made in a lab. I still wouldn't eat it because it comes from Asia.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4