+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chillin

Local Date
    07-23-2019
    Local Time
    12:59 AM

Chillin

I love the outdoors and nature. I guess that's why I live in the Pacific Northwest. It's only dry about 4 months out of 12 but when it stops raining you're in paradise.

I hang out a lot at the Portland Zoo. For one reason it's great exercise to walk the complete circuit and see what's out and about. For anther thing it's free to a membership card holder like me. I'm not stupid, you can pay $15 a visit or $50 for a full year's membership that gets you free admission & free parking.

One of my favorite areas is the Lion's Den, where two females and one male lion hang out. They look just like big kitties, kitties that look at you like lunch. LOL

Local Date
    07-23-2019
    Local Time

Re: Chillin

I've always loved kitties, big ones and little one. Some of my favorite little ones live at Camp 18, a logging camp turned into a tourist restaurant along Highway 26 going to the Oregon coast. There are walking trails all along a creek running behind the restaurant.

The restaurant is home to 4 house cats of mixed breed, two longhair and two "tabby" style kitties. They are super friendly and will let you get really close for pictures. One such kitty greets you right at the entrance to the restaurant.

Official Greeter

Under The Entrance Steps

Along The Handrail In The Backyard

Local Date
    07-23-2019
    Local Time

I got a call from my best friend, Warren, inviting me over for dinner and the opportunity to meet his visiting friend from California, William. Both Warren & William are 30 years old, half my age, yet they've been friends for over 20 years. Since moving to Oregon 5 years ago I consider myself blessed to count Warren as my friend. We met while both working at Intel Corp. He did repair and calibration work on some of the machines(tools) we used to make computer chips. When Warren would be in our fab he always liked to hear about my motorcycle adventures, scouring the new area I now call home. I've managed to ride over 80,000 miles in 5 years, covering 3 states and two countries. I taught Warren how to ride and was there for his license test and the purchase of his first motorcycle. We've gone on many road adventures and share a lot in common. I was honored that he thought enough of me to want me to meet William. We enjoyed a simple dinner of steak, hotdogs & salad.

Speaking of friends I have another good friend, Marion, still living back in South Carolina, my former home. You can see by this photo that he is hard at work caring to the town's local water treatment plant. I've know Marion for better than 20 years. He too is now retired but is taking care of his critically ill wife, Norma Jean. Norma Jean has stage 4 kidney failure and is going blind due to complications from diabetes. I pray for her and Marion as they are childhood sweethearts.

Warren and Marion

Local Date
    07-23-2019
    Local Time

Yesterday was beautiful! The temperature was right around 70 and the sky was blue with plenty of sun. I started, as usual, with my senior group at McDonald's. I headed from there to the Portland Rose Garden to find the roses hadn't come up yet due to the cold wet Spring we had this year. There were still plenty of brilliantly flowered bushes surrounding the garden. I photographed a number of flowers.

I walked from the Rose Garden to the Portland Japanese Garden right across the parking lot. It's great exercise hiking up the long, steep hill to the entrance. I need to do that more often. The garden personnel worked hard all winter refurbishing a number of the garden areas including my favorite, the waterfall. They cleaned out the coy goldfish pond and gave them more room. I made sure to photograph the falls.

After processing the photos from my first two trips I walked out my back yard to check for mail and discovered our resident Canadian geese had given birth to two cute goslings. I had my pocket digital with me and captured a photograph of the mother & goslings.

Local Date
    07-23-2019
    Local Time

Services at my church will have a somber note this weekend as one of our beloved members passed away from congestive heart failure. Tom was a Vietnam Veteran, serving in the U.S. Navy for his country. While over in Vietnam he was exposed to Agent Orange, a poisonous defoliant that causes grave physical effects on humans. Those in the jungles, where it was used to clear trails, are still paying a heavy price for exposure. Tom was forced to ride around in a powered wheelchair carrying oxygen bottle that he needed 24 hours a day. Tom will be sorely missed!

Local Date
    07-23-2019
    Local Time

It's Sunday and time to head for church. It will be a somber service as the announcement of the loss of Tom this week will shock a lot of members. By coincidence the only clean shirt I have to wear is my Tom T-shirt I had made from one of my portraits of him. It's laundry day tomorrow morning.

Local Date
    07-23-2019
    Local Time

Nothing really exciting happened today. My day started with a hated chore, laundry. I wait until I have no clean clothes left before doing it. I finished 6 loads and now everything is clean. I should be good for a month at least.

After that chore was complete I hooked up with my best friend to do breakfast/lunch. I got so involved with doing laundry I forgot to eat breakfast, not good considering I'm a diabetic. My blood sugar was really low by the time Warren arrived to pick me up. It took me a while after eating lunch to feel better.

The rest of the afternoon was spent watching my friend demonstrate the setup procedure for the camping tent he's loaning me for my 8 day tour of the Canyons of the West. I've camped out dozens of times before and just needed a 5 minute demo on how this particular tent went together. It turned out to be exactly like a tent I'd owned before. Piece of cake!

I'm getting closer to that July departure date for my trip. I believe I'm at that point where I could be packed completely in about 10 minutes so now it's just a waiting game. I am so ready for my big adventure.

Local Date
    07-23-2019
    Local Time

I posted another thread under Hobbies, Arts & Crafts, showing my collection of custom created postcard that I do now & then. I love doing these using my huge photographic collection and Photoshop skills. You should see my custom Christmas cards. This area is a Winter Wonderland of scenic outdoor & indoor holiday photo opportunity. These are graphic representations but high quality photos of the real McCoy. I actually need to spend another day or two and make some more. Tourists would love them.

Local Date
    07-23-2019
    Local Time

Today was kind of cool. I started it, as usual, at McDonald's with my senior friends. A father & his two little boys sat in the booth right next to us. His youngest was one of the cutest little guys I've ever seen, almost angelic. I had my pocket camera with me and took about 5 photos. One of these was special. Considering Father's Day is right around the corner I titled it "Looking Up To Daddy". I really like this shot.

Local Date
    07-23-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    I've had a fun week so far, with the weather getting better by the day. I'm seeing results from my Begonias as 9 tiny shoots have poked through the earth so far. My apartment managed to trim away 4 broken tree limbs outside my balcony that had broken and were about to fall on somebody's car. That allowed more sunshine to reach my flowers. I can't wait for them to grow more.

I made a sunrise drive to my favorite river house since conditions for a good photograph were ideal. I wasn't disappointed as the fog was not present and the sky was blue. The early morning sun was perfectly positioned as I literally had to wait 10-15 minutes for it to light the house. A good day was had by all. No specific plans for today as I near the one year anniversary of my last day worked at Intel. My, how time flies! It's been a glorious year of getting used to retirement. I have just one unemployment check left then it's social security checks from then on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast