+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ForumGarden ownership

Local Date
    06-01-2020
    Local Time
    04:59 PM

ForumGarden ownership

Ownership of ForumGarden transferred this week to Bryn Mawr who has himself been a member for the last six years and a Moderator for much of that period.

Members will perhaps take the opportunity of thanking Tombstone for creating and, for seven years, running the site. Together with Anastrophe he was responsible for the tone and policy during its formative phase.

Speaking personally, I have always found it a pleasure to read his posts and instructive to moderate under his guidance. I hope he continues to post here for many years to come.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    06-01-2020
    Local Time
    03:59 PM

Re: ForumGarden ownership

Well this has me stopped dead in my tracks like an elephant by an Abrams!

You're joking aren't you?

You're not.

Congrats, Bryn Mawr. Can't think of a better person to take over.

Thank you Tombstone, Anastrophe in particular, and all those who have made the place work for all these years.

Even, and especially, spot.

Local Date
    06-01-2020
    Local Time

Wow, seven years hey, I arrived here three months after start up then disappeared for a few months but when I was able to return I found a great supportive community on these boards so thank you to Tombstone for providing a forum where I found support during an incredibly difficult period of my life.
    Those early years were the best ever at FG, great members where serious threads took place alongside all sorts of fun and games in Bothwells Pub. What happened to Bothwell anyway...
    There were arguments, and very heated debates but they didn't involve gangs of people taking sides, the two main antagonists were left to get on with it
    I know that recently the site became more fraught with people ganging up on one another and poor Tombstone has had to act as some sort of mediator between grown adults who really should know how to behave better.
    I never would have met a lovely lady called Theia had it not been for FG, posting alongside each other for months eventually we realised that we lived within 20 mins of each other. We organised a meeting and have been firm friends ever since, I even dragged Theia off with me to the first ever FG meet in London and we giggled like schoolgirls all the way at the insane idea that we were off to meet a bunch of strangers in a strange place to us We had a back up plan though, if these people did seem odd and weird we'd stick firmly together, leave as soon as we could and find a hotel to escape to Thankfully we never had to, our hosts who offered to put us up were wonderful as were all the members we met.

For me personally it's a huge THANK YOU to you Tombstone for creating a great place where real and great friendships have been made. I too hope you will continue to post here

Local Date
    06-01-2020
    Local Time

And... I didn't forget in my first post but it didn't feel right to Congratulate Bryn within the same post

FG couldn't have gone to a better person and long may it continue.

Good luck with your new venture Bryn!

Local Date
    06-01-2020
    Local Time
    03:59 PM

Congratulations, Bryn You'll be a worthy owner and I'm feeling a renewed enthusiasm in Forum Garden. Let's all try and restore FG to its former glory...for me it has always been the best forum I've known.

Oh, Betty, your post has reminded me of times past (well, and present). Your lovely little daughter was in a pushchair when we met for the first time, and yesterday, you were buying her two beautiful Monsoon dresses, aged 9-10!!! Wow! Do you remember when you, Acc and I were reading HGTTG on the book thread back in 2005 (?)...we never did finish it but it helped me get over my initial timidity (shame that's not timididdy) at posting. Oh yes, that first London weekend visit!! Armed with several thousand Cornish pasties and enough clothes for six months, off we went in your Corsa, me hanging on for grim death because I hate motorways (how did you put up with me, with my foot constantly on the break on the passenger side ) We didn't have a clue what the others would be like...and they were all lovely!

As soon as we arrived at Raven's, we were all fighting for the computer to log on to FG to let everyone know how it was going. And it was certainly an Anglo/American/Canadian experience...Weeder from America, Minks from Canada. And you and I have been friends ever since (except when cardis come into the equation). Thank you for that

Thanks to my lovely American friends here who supported me when I hightailed it to Nebraska with barely a thought for what might happen

And of course, a huge thank you to Tombstone and Anastrophe who made it all possible by creating Forum Garden.

This is a new beginning for FG...come on everyone, let's get on with rebuilding both the old and the new
    Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke

Local Date
    06-01-2020
    Local Time

Well I never !!!!!
    I had to look and it appears I have been here since 2007, lurking and posting without really 'joining', but that is just me.
    I was at first amazed at the size of this site, and the mix of members, unlike any other forum I have been a member.
    There are very real people here, with a mix of personalities.........who actually meet up.....amazing!!!!

Does this mean a change in direction, at the moment it seems FG is based mid Atlantic with outposts everywhere, are we to see a subtle flavour (with a U) change ?

Congratulations Bryn more power to your elbow.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    06-01-2020
    Local Time
    10:59 AM

Well, what can I say? You've worked hard and proven to be the most wonderful mod here.

You've always been fair and treated members with care and respect.

hats off Bryn!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	02f.......con.gif
Views:	137
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	36111  

Local Date
    06-01-2020
    Local Time

It was tombstone that lured me way back in the early days. Congratulations bryn and I hope you can sustain the free flowing discussions and hopefully put off those idiots that think you shouldn't actually disagree with anyone in case you hurt their feelings.

Supporting Member along-for-the-ride's Avatar
    Local Date
    06-01-2020
    Local Time
    10:59 AM

So this begs the proverbial question, "What do you want on your Tombstone?". A big helping of gratitude with smiles on the side. (I do hope all is well with Tombstone and that he continues to post.)

Bryn Mawr is another fine gentleman and I am glad he is the one who has taken over FG.
    Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Local Date
    06-01-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    I am genuinely saddened the Tombstone has decided to stand down as owner - I think he's done a fantastic job in nurturing ForumGarden over the years and want to add my thanks to yours.

He has, however, decided to step down and the Garden must go on - better with one of us at the helm that any possible outsider.

I hope that the flavor (without a U) of the site won't change, we have a mid-Atlantic core and a (sadly reduced at the moment) Antipodean contingent with outposts throughout the rest of the world and I think that it is an important part of what ForumGarden is.

I echo Tombstone's belief that civility is key - rant'n'rave this ain't and long may that continue but it is a discussion forum as well as a place to relax and have fun. Disagree with each other as much as you like but politely and without malice.

So welcome to the brave new world of ForumGarden - I hope I can do half the job Tombstone has done

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast