Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Independent Scotland

Premium Member
    Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    03:03 PM

Re: The Independent Scotland

I trully hope Scotland becomes it's own country again . Scots as I have wittnessed myself are a much prouder people than the Brits.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    06:03 AM

When did we stop accepting Scottish currency here?

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Chookie View Post
    No, he didn't. In the last election he got not only an overall majority but an absolute majority - in a system which was designed by the Unionist parties to prevent just such an eventuality. The referendum bill will be presented to Parliament on schedule in the latter half of this term.

On your OP, viz:-

Border control - We have only ONE border
    Passports - Yes please
    Parliament - We've already got that (and it works)
    Defence - What defence? The present government have just closed two of the three airbases we had. (Leuchars and Kinloss)
    Airports - We have airports
    Immigration control - We have no problem with immigrants - the "subsidy junkies" are concentrated around London.....
    Currency - Ours is better looking - none of our banknotes have a sour-faced old bat* on them

* with the possible exception of the Mary Slessor fivers issued by the Clydesdale some years ago....
    Border Control - You have only one land border, every airport and harbour is a border to be policed
    Passports - Your welcome :-)
    Parliament - You have half of one - lots more functions for you to develop yet
    Defence - From the Sassenachs of course. Consists of signs like "English Bastards go Home" on the M6 bridge but could do with bolstering
    Airports - Granted
    Immigration Control - Whilst you're a British Colony who wants to. As an independent country you might find it's different
    Currency - But it's all issued by private companies at the moment. Wouldn't the government want to get in on the act?

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by OpenMind View Post
    When did we stop accepting Scottish currency here?
    We haven't but there are some miserable shopkeepers that never found that out.

And as Bonaparte said, we're a nation of shopkeepers.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    03:03 PM

I couldn't use Scottish currency in Britain ...No body would accept it.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzywuzzy View Post
    I couldn't use Scottish currency in Britain ...No body would accept it.
    Britain is a generic term for the largest of the british isles in which you will find three nations, wales, england and scotland. You can't go from scotland to britain you are already there.

posted by bryn mawr
    Immigration Control - Whilst you're a British Colony who wants to. As an independent country you might find it's different
    Unlike wales scotland was never conquered by the english, unlike wales we are not a colony. As a welshman you should know that the english defeated and conquered you. The act of union was between two sovereign nations and the English had to bribe our politicians. If we choose to undo it is our choice. Quite frankly the more the English come out with the kind of crap they have been and try and tell us we can't survive without them the more likely it is that scots will vote for independence.

I think it stems from fear, personally I have every confidence that england will be able to survive without the scots to prop them up and surely weaning them off their dependence on scottish oil will be a good thing.

Banned
    Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    05:03 AM

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzywuzzy View Post
    I trully hope Scotland becomes it's own country again . Scots as I have wittnessed myself are a much prouder people than the Brits.
    Scotland Is part of Britain.

Banned
    Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    We haven't but there are some miserable shopkeepers that never found that out.

And as Bonaparte said, we're a nation of shopkeepers.
    I have always found ' I think you will find that Is legal tender my good man/woman ' helpful.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    I have always found ' I think you will find that Is legal tender my good man/woman ' helpful.
    In actual fact scottish bank notes are not legal tender - not even in scotland as it happens- it is entirely at the discretion of the vendor whether or not they want to accept them, you cannot insist that they do. In practice if you have just filled up with petrol and offer to pay in Scottish notes most garages will accept it, in practice a shop does not have to and would be within their rights to refuse to accept it.

Bank of England | Banknotes | More About Banknotes | Banknote FAQs

Are Scottish & Northern Irish notes legal tender?
    In short ‘No’ these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales.
    The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.
    I recently caused a stooshie in a crowded bar while on holiday in England by refusing a norhern irish banknote - contract law works both ways when buying something if you are offered change you consider unacceptable - ripped bank note or whatever you don't have to accept it. If you think you have been given the wrong change, for 10 instead of 20 you have a right to challenge it at the time and insist on a till check and are within your rights to call the police if they don't. Remember that next time some barman tries it on you in a bar or a crowded supermarket queue.

Banned
    Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    In actual fact scottish bank notes are not legal tender - not even in scotland as it happens- it is entirely at the discretion of the vendor whether or not they want to accept them, you cannot insist that they do. In practice if you have just filled up with petrol and offer to pay in Scottish notes most garages will accept it, in practice a shop does not have to and would be within their rights to refuse to accept it.

Bank of England | Banknotes | More About Banknotes | Banknote FAQs

I recently caused a stooshie in a crowded bar while on holiday in England by refusing a norhern irish banknote - contract law works both ways when buying something if you are offered change you consider unacceptable - ripped bank note or whatever you don't have to accept it. If you think you have been given the wrong change, for 10 instead of 20 you have a right to challenge it at the time and insist on a till check and are within your rights to call the police if they don't. Remember that next time some barman tries it on you in a bar or a crowded supermarket queue.
    Is a 'Stooshie ' a Dundee scone?

As far as I am concerned, If some-one has given me a Scottish note In England, then England should expect to get It back.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast