Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Affairs of a Forum.

Banned
    Local Date
    06-03-2020
    Local Time
    02:37 AM

Affairs of a Forum.

When I returned to FG recently, I noticed that a large slice of the community who used to be here and who were very active were missing. I did ask someone about it once and the reply I received was that “all social forums evolve … members leave and others join.” Obviously I have no way of telling if those who left did so willingly or if they were banned.

Anyway my guess was that Facebook & Twitter had taken away a fair slice from most Forums including FG. As far as I am concerned a Message Board should also function slightly like a business. So I got to thinking how, if I owned/administered/managed an Internet Forum, I would go about trying to rewind the tape back to the “glory days.” Of course as I have never managed or moderated a Social Forum, I am not privy to what happens in the “engine room” so to speak.

However I did run our family business for many years, so I have had that experience. Something I learned very early on was that there was basically only one way to ensure that you made a profit every year. Your income always had to be more than your expenses. A basic business practice to be sure, but it is surprising or maybe not surprising, how many of our employees either didn’t share this belief or if they did, they didn’t care.

So in order to make this happen you either increase your income or you decrease your expenses. Usually I found that our expenses were as low as they could go and that no business can function unless it spends money. So inevitably I tried to increase our turnover which meant more sales and if your expenses remained more or less static, then your profit would be greater.

I should imagine that a Forum like FG requires and desires to have a high, active membership in order to function. So attracting members and at the same time involving them would be my number one priority. So your members can perhaps be equated with your “income” in terms of a business.

Any newbie to FG, after checking in at the Introduction Forum is then faced with this looooooong list of intimidating looking forums … some 100 plus, many with sub-sections and several that have not seen a new thread for a couple of years. To me, and again I speak as a Social Forum Running virgin, a trim, slim set of ACTIVE forums is far far better than what is currently on offer.

Finally, maybe our family business is old fashioned and I guess it is seeing as it was established in 1929, but we still adhere to the notion that the customer is always right (until proved wrong!) So, perhaps even fools should be suffered ever so slightly more gladly.

Just my humble opinion of course.

Local Date
    06-02-2020
    Local Time
    04:37 PM

Re: Affairs of a Forum.

i have come and went. i can only speak of myself. if u are not hurtful or mean spirited, why would anyone be banned. think before u type. is my motto

Local Date
    06-02-2020
    Local Time
    07:37 PM

I was going to ask if you felt you hadn't been suffered, but the odds are you would have taken me seriously.

So, I won't.
    I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.
    Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.

Local Date
    06-03-2020
    Local Time
    01:37 AM

What would you suggest a Brazilian ?
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    06-03-2020
    Local Time

At my work people say it was better before (but they moaned about it then)
    New people have taken over the local shop, people say it was better before (but they moaned about it then)

Conclusion - people like to moan.

Banned
    Local Date
    06-03-2020
    Local Time
    02:37 AM

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup View Post
    At my work people say it was better before (but they moaned about it then)
    New people have taken over the local shop, people say it was better before (but they moaned about it then)

Conclusion - people like to moan.
    Nothing is what it seems. One person's moaning is another person'es constructive criticism.

Local Date
    06-02-2020
    Local Time
    04:37 PM

Quote Originally Posted by jones jones View Post
    Nothing is what it seems. One person's moaning is another person'es constructive criticism.
    Very true, you can't please all the people all of the time! Tolerance and respect are the two commodities to make a successful forum!

Local Date
    06-02-2020
    Local Time
    08:37 PM

As for the layout, I like it very much the way it is and have found it easy to navigate. The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to create a poll but I haven't given up yet!

Local Date
    06-03-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tabby View Post
    As for the layout, I like it very much the way it is and have found it easy to navigate. The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to create a poll but I haven't given up yet!
    When you start a new thread fill it in as normal then scroll down past the "Post Icons" to the "Additional Options". After "Manage Attachments" and "Subscriptions" is "Post a Poll" where you can flag for a poll and specify how many options you want.

With this option ticked, when you click "Submit New Thread" it takes you to a new screen where you can add the poll question and the options, specify any time limit and whether it is to be a public poll or private etc.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    06-03-2020
    Local Time
    10:37 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    I never think before I type .................................I SHALL NEVER SURRENDER!!!!!! because that would mean I have to do the same crap I do in real life ...I don't want to do that .

as for the opening post you kinda lost me half way through .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast