Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Should Alcohol be banned ?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    WEST SUSSEX, ENGLAND
    Posts
    31,529
    Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time
    12:49 PM

    Should Alcohol be banned ?

    I joined a campaign a few years ago to:

    Jail drunk drivers for 5 years regardless of Injury or loss of life.
    Ban all alcohol advertising.
    Raise the legal drink limit In the UK to 21 years old.
    Ban all supermarkets from selling alcohol
    Reverse the 24 hour drinking licenses In the UK.

    If I had my way, alcohol would be a grade C substance In the UK.

    What are your opinions?

  2. #2
    Caitriona Eibhlin Kathy Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Noo Joisey
    Posts
    9,873
    Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time
    08:49 AM

    Re: Should Alcohol be banned ?

    I say "NO" Oscar. People need to control their own actions and do things in moderation.

    Even if all drugs were banned, that doesn't mean people would behave.

    I'm sick of the government butting into my business!

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    WEST SUSSEX, ENGLAND
    Posts
    31,529
    Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time
    12:49 PM

    Re: Should Alcohol be banned ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Ellen View Post
    I say "NO" Oscar. People need to control their own actions and do things in moderation.

    Even if all drugs were banned, that doesn't mean people would behave.

    I'm sick of the government butting into my business!
    I haven't really gone Into the stats for the US Kathy but binge drinking In the UK Is a serious problem.

    BBC NEWS | Health | Binge drinking costing billions

    Thank You for an honest opinion though.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Lon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    9,507
    Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time
    01:49 AM

    Re: Should Alcohol be banned ?

    Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    I joined a campaign a few years ago to:

    Jail drunk drivers for 5 years regardless of Injury or loss of life.
    Ban all alcohol advertising.
    Raise the legal drink limit In the UK to 21 years old.
    Ban all supermarkets from selling alcohol
    Reverse the 24 hour drinking licenses In the UK.

    If I had my way, alcohol would be a grade C substance In the UK.

    What are your opinions?
    A five year sentence is totally disproportionate to other sentencing for things like theft, assault, rape, narcotics, etc. and banning the sale of alcohol in super markets and doing away with advertising would only create more of a desire for the product and like PROHIBITION in the U.S. result in a BLACK MARKET.There is no advertising for illegal drugs and it has not stopped it's use. Age limits will not work either. My solution? Taking away DRIVER'S LICENSE for two years on very first offense and if there is a repeat offense after two years take away for 5 years.

  5. #5
    Supporting Member spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brigstow
    Posts
    36,016
    Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time
    12:49 PM

    Re: Should Alcohol be banned ?

    Lon's recollections of the consequences of Prohibition in the US ought to be an indication of why it's such a completely bad idea. The criminality it fuelled eighty years ago are still reverberating through American society, still killing people and still generating far more damage than abusing alcohol ever did.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

    The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

    England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    WEST SUSSEX, ENGLAND
    Posts
    31,529
    Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time
    12:49 PM

    Re: Should Alcohol be banned ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    A five year sentence is totally disproportionate to other sentencing for things like theft, assault, rape, narcotics, etc. and banning the sale of alcohol in super markets and doing away with advertising would only create more of a desire for the product and like PROHIBITION in the U.S. result in a BLACK MARKET.There is no advertising for illegal drugs and it has not stopped it's use. Age limits will not work either. My solution? Taking away DRIVER'S LICENSE for two years on very first offense and if there is a repeat offense after two years take away for 5 years.
    Why would an ensuing black market be any different to a narcotics black market?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    9,507
    Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time
    01:49 AM

    Re: Should Alcohol be banned ?

    Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    Why would an ensuing black market be any different to a narcotics black market?
    It wouldn't, and that's my point. A Black Market does not solve the problem.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    WEST SUSSEX, ENGLAND
    Posts
    31,529
    Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time
    12:49 PM

    Re: Should Alcohol be banned ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    It wouldn't, and that's my point. A Black Market does not solve the problem.
    The ensuing casualties of a black market may out-weigh the casualties of medical related problems to abusers, cost to the NHS, deaths on the roads, alcohol related violence etc etc.

  9. #9
    Supporting Member spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brigstow
    Posts
    36,016
    Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time
    12:49 PM

    Re: Should Alcohol be banned ?

    If a product is illegal to supply for recreational use then the only people it can be bought from are by definition criminals.

    It's why I would prefer to see all products which are currently illegal to supply for recreational use to be legally sold under the same terms as alcohol or tobacco, with similar tax revenue to the country and profit to the retailer.

    The huge overwhelming advantage is that all the existing criminals who supply the demand will lose their customer base. The core products funding estate gangs are simply irreplaceable.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

    The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

    England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    WEST SUSSEX, ENGLAND
    Posts
    31,529
    Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time
    12:49 PM

    Re: Should Alcohol be banned ?

    Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    If a product is illegal to supply for recreational use then the only people it can be bought from are by definition criminals.

    It's why I would prefer to see all products which are currently illegal to supply for recreational use to be legally sold under the same terms as alcohol or tobacco, with similar tax revenue to the country and profit to the retailer.

    The huge overwhelming advantage is that all the existing criminals who supply the demand will lose their customer base. The core products funding estate gangs are simply irreplaceable.
    The you ultimately end up with the beast that has been created under the laxing of alcohol regulations. Over-Indulgence, over-doses, spiraling cost to the NhS, deaths on the road from drugged drivers, advertising companies making profit from the misery of addcition, early deaths, ending In 14 year olds buying crack In supermarkets thanks to some bozo checkout operator not checking ID.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. UK government and alcohol
    By dchistoryman in forum General Chit Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 01:36 PM
  2. what is your best alcohol drink
    By neffy in forum General Chit Chat
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-14-2007, 08:24 AM
  3. So does Alcohol really . . . . .
    By cars in forum General Chit Chat
    Replies: 146
    Last Post: 10-20-2006, 11:41 AM
  4. What to do if you run out of alcohol.
    By martin simpkins in forum United Kingdom
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-19-2006, 02:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts