Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45

Thread: Should Alcohol be banned ?

  1. #11
    Supporting Member spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brigstow
    Posts
    35,511
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    11:00 AM

    Re: Should Alcohol be banned ?

    Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    The you ultimately end up with the beast that has been created under the laxing of alcohol regulations. Over-Indulgence, over-doses, spiraling cost to the NhS, deaths on the road from drugged drivers, advertising companies making profit from the misery of addcition, early deaths, ending In 14 year olds buying crack In supermarkets thanks to some bozo checkout operator not checking ID.
    I mind none of that in comparison to the existing criminality. You take your pick when it comes to what's important in this life.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

    The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

  2. #12
    Supporting Member spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brigstow
    Posts
    35,511
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    11:00 AM

    Re: Should Alcohol be banned ?

    On the matter of quality, retailers are obliged to provide goods of consistent strength and purity.

    I suggest overdosing would reduce because variability would cease to exist. Overdosing regularly happens when fresh uncut material goes onto the streets in the UK. Illegally distilled wood-alcohol blinds dozens where such stills are prevalent (Russia and India, for example). French illegally-grown tobacco has heavy metal content dozens of times higher than legal limits on commercial tobacco.

    Advertising revenue on tobacco is vastly down on earlier levels due to legislation against advertising - by all means apply that to alcohol too, and to all legalized narcotics should that occur.

    Nobody in their right mind buys crack when alternative narcotics are readily available. Putting those alternatives into newsagent shops would end crack consumption within months.

    The propaganda of "addiction" needs to be both researched and clarified. Recreational drug use is no more addictive than alcohol or tobacco use. Some people find some of these things addictive - some people may even be hypersensitive and addicted easily. It's just as true that some people never feel an addiction at all and can start or stop whenever they choose to.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

    The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    WEST SUSSEX, ENGLAND
    Posts
    31,529
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    10:00 AM

    Re: Should Alcohol be banned ?

    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I mind none of that in comparison to the existing criminality. You take your pick when it comes to what's important in this life.
    Then explain how you could possibly conceive that making grade A narcotics readily available to some-one who may have shyed away from Indulging up to legalisation Is going to be more beneficial than the cost to our country and human life?
    The relaxation to the alcohol regulations, the 24 hour drinking licenses, the supermarkets forcing local pubs to shut down and the Increasing burden on our police, emergency services, NHS along with the criminality of violence whilst under the Influence has proved to have been a social experiment that has gone horribly wrong. What makes you think de-criminalising narcotics Is going to be any different?
    Besides which at least with alcohol there are regulations In which brewry's have to adhere to. Who Is going to monitor the Ingrediants of narcotics. Who are they going to use as suppliers? The war torn ME who will use the revenue to arm themselves further?

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    WEST SUSSEX, ENGLAND
    Posts
    31,529
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    10:00 AM

    Re: Should Alcohol be banned ?

    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    On the matter of quality, retailers are obliged to provide goods of consistent strength and purity.

    I suggest overdosing would reduce because variability would cease to exist. Overdosing regularly happens when fresh uncut material goes onto the streets in the UK. Illegally distilled wood-alcohol blinds dozens where such stills are prevalent (Russia and India, for example). French illegally-grown tobacco has heavy metal content dozens of times higher than legal limits on commercial tobacco.

    Advertising revenue on tobacco is vastly down on earlier levels due to legislation against advertising - by all means apply that to alcohol too, and to all legalized narcotics should that occur.

    Nobody in their right mind buys crack when alternative narcotics are readily available. Putting those alternatives into newsagent shops would end crack consumption within months.
    Alcohol suppliers are obliged to provide goods of consistent strength and purity true but that does not stop addiction which leads to consuming more and ultimately an early death.

  5. #15
    Supporting Member spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brigstow
    Posts
    35,511
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    11:00 AM

    Re: Should Alcohol be banned ?

    Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    Alcohol suppliers are obliged to provide goods of consistent strength and purity true but that does not stop addiction which leads to consuming more and ultimately an early death.
    I refer you back to the problems of prohibition, which you've not addressed at all. Some things are more important than others. By all means educate against abuse.

    My impression is that the majority of deaths from illegal recreational drugs stem directly from impurity and unpredictable strength.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

    The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    WEST SUSSEX, ENGLAND
    Posts
    31,529
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    10:00 AM

    Re: Should Alcohol be banned ?

    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I refer you back to the problems of prohibition, which you've not addressed at all. Some things are more important than others. By all means educate against abuse.

    My impression is that the majority of deaths from illegal recreational drugs stem directly from impurity and unpredictable strength.
    The I must refer you back to the questions I asked In my previosu post which you have not addressed at all but were on topic with your former post.

    Legalising narcotics of a purity standard does not stop the user buying more quantities, becoming addicted, over-dosing or meeting an early death due to failing organs. In fact, the availability could turn an occassional user Into an addict.
    As for monitering the purity, how long exactly do you think It would be before a dealer on some sink estate has bought a varied supply of narcotics, cut them together for re-sale?

  7. #17
    Supporting Member spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brigstow
    Posts
    35,511
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    11:00 AM

    Re: Should Alcohol be banned ?

    If you'd like to use the two-posts-each format of Westcliff Rules to put your argument and counter-argument then I'd be delighted. Participating in yet one more interminable thread where who's left standing wins doesn't interest me. I keep telling you I'd like to find core areas of agreement but you're permanently focused on beating whoever posts near you.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

    The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    WEST SUSSEX, ENGLAND
    Posts
    31,529
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    10:00 AM

    Re: Should Alcohol be banned ?

    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    If you'd like to use the two-posts-each format of Westcliff Rules to put your argument and counter-argument then I'd be delighted. Participating in yet one more interminable thread where who's left standing wins doesn't interest me. I keep telling you I'd like to find core areas of agreement but you're permanently focused on beating whoever posts near you.
    And there It seems we have It In a nutshell.

    You have made a post that stated narcotics should be de-criminalised .
    I put forward reasonable counter questions to you.
    Rather than answer the questions which are perfectly reasonable In the context of the thread and your posts and post some verifiable evidence to support your claim, you would rather misinterpret the posts as 'Who's left standing'
    I would have more respect for anyone who could just say they could not offer verifiable evidence to support their opinion.

  9. #19
    Supporting Member spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brigstow
    Posts
    35,511
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    11:00 AM

    Re: Should Alcohol be banned ?

    Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    I would have more respect for anyone who could just say they could not offer verifiable evidence to support their opinion.
    I'm not going to reduce the quality of the report I linked to. It's 179 pages long and it's all relevant. That's why I linked to it.

    It's the House of Commons Science and Technology Committee Drug classification: making a hash of it? - Fifth Report of Session 2005–06.

    It consists of nothing but verified evidence and consequent discussion. The position I've put in this thread is consistent with its contents. And yes, I did read the report.


    eta: we appear to be in a different thread to the one I posted the link in a couple of days ago.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

    The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    WEST SUSSEX, ENGLAND
    Posts
    31,529
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    10:00 AM

    Re: Should Alcohol be banned ?

    Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I'm not going to reduce the quality of the report I linked to. It's 179 pages long and it's all relevant. That's why I linked to it.

    It's the House of Commons Science and Technology Committee "Drug classification: making a hash of it?" - Fifth Report of Session 2005–06.

    It consists of nothing but verified evidence and consequent discussion. The position I've put in this thread is consistent with its contents. And yes, I did read the report.
    I did not dismiss It. I will look more thoroughly at It,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. UK government and alcohol
    By dchistoryman in forum General Chit Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 01:36 PM
  2. what is your best alcohol drink
    By neffy in forum General Chit Chat
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-14-2007, 08:24 AM
  3. So does Alcohol really . . . . .
    By cars in forum General Chit Chat
    Replies: 146
    Last Post: 10-20-2006, 11:41 AM
  4. What to do if you run out of alcohol.
    By martin simpkins in forum United Kingdom
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-19-2006, 02:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts