Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Should Alcohol be banned ?

Premium Member
    Local Date
    11-19-2019
    Local Time
    10:37 PM

Re: Should Alcohol be banned ?

It wasn't immoral to permit people to die prior to medical advances, was it? So did the morality materialize due to the advent of medical knowledge? It's natural to advance the survival of the species, thus medical advancement, but where does the morality fit in?

Dying is just as necessary as living.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Premium Member
    Local Date
    11-19-2019
    Local Time
    10:37 PM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Ah, those were the days... Aufhren zu reden! Die untauglich beendet wird!
    You speak German too? How many languages are you fluent in? None in my case.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    11-19-2019
    Local Time
    08:37 PM

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    I am OK with that. As long as they aren't throwing anyone else' life away in the bargain.

Good point, that's why I'm all for computer controlled cars. What we really need is an "alcohol neutralizer" pill. You take it and it quickly chemically neutralizes all the alcohol in your system. Drink all night, pop one, wait ten minutes and drive home sober with no hangover tomorrow!

Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time
    03:37 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    You speak German too? How many languages are you fluent in? None in my case.
    Apart from the occasional spelling mistake your English seems to be OK.

Banned
    Local Date
    11-20-2019
    Local Time
    03:37 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    Oscar, your sentiments are straight on... and completely impossible to enforce. We tried it in America in the 1920s. We called it "Prohibition." It was a TOTAL failure. The reason why is because it is easy to make anywhere, and if there is a demand, there will always be those who will supply it. Especially if the price rises due to limited availability. (See: America's War on Drugs) Eventually gangsters were having gang wars in the street, our entire political, judicial, and law system was corrupted and everyday citizens were being jailed.(The jail time alone would overload your prison system in months.) People still drank just as much if not more (making it illegal appeals to the "forbidden fruit" urge). They just went underground into secret rooms and 'Speakeasies." Worse yet, many people suffered ill health effects and even blindness from poorly made, uncontrolled product.

This is a needed source of revenue for all kinds of magazines and papers. Although I agree that the advertising needs to be strictly monitored for target audience.

This works...do that. We did it over here and it is already helping. You'll also have to make it a crime to sell or buy for minors, or they'll still get it anyway.

Fact is, most drunk drivers buy alcohol as close as possible to where they are. making them drive drunk further is a bad idea.

Our bars all close at 1:00 am, as do alcohol sales. That does help.

Alcohol has been with mankind since the first caveman accidentally ate a fermented peach. Even will all it's ill effects it can NEVER be gotten rid of. The only POSSIBLE solution is that the government come up with a substitute that has all the positive effects of euphoria, inhibition release, and memory suppression that wears off instantly when needed and has no side effects.

I'll bet that is medically impossible so we are stuck with alcohol for all time. It's best to just tax it and control it.

Personally, I'd like to see cars that can drive themselves and that's VERY possible in the future. That would solve one portion of that problem.
    Great post Saint

The truth Is this country would never see a ban on alcohol period but I believe raising the drink age to 21 and reversing the 24 hour drinking licenses will go a long way to helping.
    I think Ministers had this Idea of a wonderful continental feel to the UK when they agreed 24 hour drinking. I think they had visions of quaint little pavement cafes of folks sipping the occassional red wine with their meal but Instead we got a Nation of binge drinkers attacking our police and making city centre's a no go zone after 11 pm,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5