It's official

Officials Say Fracking Caused Ohio Earthquake
    FOCUS | AP: Officials Say Fracking Caused Ohio Earthquake

Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time
    07:50 PM

Re: Fracking

When they test drilled outside Blackpool it triggered two earthquakes - something absolutely unheard of in that part of England.

I understand they're still going ahead though. Blackpool needs the jobs and the Government needs the revenue...

They have banned fracking in France and frankly they ought to ban it (Britain) here too! Short term gain, long term damage - doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time
    03:50 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Gentle Brother View Post
    When they test drilled outside Blackpool it triggered two earthquakes - something absolutely unheard of in that part of England.

I understand they're still going ahead though. Blackpool needs the jobs and the Government needs the revenue...

They have banned fracking in France and frankly they ought to ban it (Britain) here too! Short term gain, long term damage - doesn't sound like a good deal to me.
    If you are the one making the gain and don't actually care about the effect on anybody else plus you have the wealth and influence you will get your way. It's no different from employers using asbestos as a building material even after they knew it was dangerous or any other industrial process that causes harm, This is different in some ways as the long term consequences could be irreversible. The only way they get away with it is by portraying protesters as tree hugging nutters.

Gasland part 1 of 2 - YouTube

You should watch gasland it's the sheer complete indifference of the companies to the harm they cause - it's not fiction with a happy ending for those who are affected by it.

Stop Mountaintop Removal Mining - YouTube

If you don't have to deal with **** you tend not to worry about where it ends up.

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time

It is high time that people rose up en masse to stop the plans to frack in the UK. Time is of the essence and these companies cannot be allowed to insanely violate our lands and cause our precious earth to become toxic with all the 590 or so chemicals used with the millions of gallons of our precious spring water, in order to do this shale mining.

I implore you all to read all the posts and the links on this thread and just learn what this 'fracking' is all about. The drinking water in the fracking areas could well be poisoned and could cause people to experience severe all-over pains and brain damage amongst other nasty reactions ! We are not being told anything much about the REAL effect this fracking will have not just on the land and the environment but on human beings ! Because nobody knows !!! I was always suspicious when nobody mentioned the names of the chemicals used with the water to fracture the earth hundreds of feet below the surface to release the gas for our use for power. I realise now that with well over 500 different chemicals to be used, most have extremely long names that are hardly pronounceable, and anybody with a knowledge of chemicals would scream out loud and run as far away as possible from the mine that is using this dreadful mix. In America there have been numerous examples of people suffering terrible effects by drinking the tap water - even death. There are attempts to hush things up and to blame other possible causes, but more and more people are beginning to realise that the greed of the fracking companies far outweighs the common sense and need to be wary of looking after the health of the people living around their mining complexes !

It's all about bloody money isn't it ? Councils are likely to get lots of tax from these fracking companies for using the land for their mine complexes and be damned to any nasty consequences of the mining activities.

We must all get together and stop this insanity. There is just no good reason whatsoever in going ahead with fracking in the UK, or basically anywhere in the world, as the resultant adverse consequences are far greater than any potential benefit that MAY be gained.

Please check out the links...........................

Check out the chemicals @ 0.25 ! Thanks gmc for posting this video back in 2012 !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phCibwj396I

This is what fracking looks like (clone)
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time

I find the whole concept of fracking absolutely contemptible. In a world where fossil fuels are rapidly running out, resources need to be put in to finding clean, renewable resources, such as solar, wind, hydro & tidal energies, which are out there in abundance, rather than churning money into finding ways to lick the last remnants in the bowl.

The examples in the video of setting light to the water as it came out of the tap demonstrates just how 'safe' fracking is. Plus fracking has positively been related to seismic activity, causing earthquakes - and that's only in areas where it's being tested on a small scale. These sort of results have been observed & recorded worldwide, yet the Government & shareholders of the fracking companies (same thing really) continue to insist that it's totally safe & that the earthquakes around the fracking sites are purely coincidental.

Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time
    10:50 PM

Not a fan of fracking either. My state vetoed fracking. Only good thing this Governor, Cuomo the Younger, has done.

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    I find the whole concept of fracking absolutely contemptible. In a world where fossil fuels are rapidly running out, resources need to be put in to finding clean, renewable resources, such as solar, wind, hydro & tidal energies, which are out there in abundance, rather than churning money into finding ways to lick the last remnants in the bowl.

The examples in the video of setting light to the water as it came out of the tap demonstrates just how 'safe' fracking is. Plus fracking has positively been related to seismic activity, causing earthquakes - and that's only in areas where it's being tested on a small scale. These sort of results have been observed & recorded worldwide, yet the Government & shareholders of the fracking companies (same thing really) continue to insist that it's totally safe & that the earthquakes around the fracking sites are purely coincidental.
    Totally agree. Mankind is a virtuoso at inventing "Frankenstein" technology, without a thought for future problems and ramifications! GM foods are another good example.

What's wrong with using hydrogen for PROPULSION, and oil for LUBRICATION? We have enough oil for centuries if we use it thus. I suppose that with enough research, they MAY be able to make "fracking" safe(er), but not until they can predict ACCURATELY where the cracks caused by the process will run and that will need many years of research and experimentation to ascertain, if it's even possible to predict...As for tap-water contamination, totally unacceptable and dangerous!

Why not invest the time and money used to "develop" fracking for developing "green" alternatives instead?

Stupid question really. "Oil Barons" wouldn't want anything threatening profits whatever the risk to us and our environment. We cannot go on abusing our environment as we do without nature "taking a hand", and "balancing the scales"...undoubtedly to our sorrow.

I note that the fracking companies don't elaborate on he chemicals used in the process...
    " To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    Not a fan of fracking either. My state vetoed fracking. Only good thing this Governor, Cuomo the Younger, has done.
    As you say, at least he's got SOMETHING right!
    " To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time

I suggest there are two issues here, the unregulated activity in the USA and the regulated activity in the UK.

Firstly, no drinking water supplies have ever been polluted in the UK because nowhere in the UK does the public water supply take water from the underground water table. All of the UK public water supply is taken directly from surface water in one form or another. I can't see how the UK public water supply can possibly be affected. Does anyone have any suggestion as to how it might be?

Secondly, the issue of "earthquakes" was discussed at http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/un...blackpool.html though none of my points there were addressed. The "earthquakes" were several orders of magnitude less than would cause any structural damage and I see no reason at all to think any fracking "earthquake" could ever reach that power in the UK. Does anyone have any suggestion why it might?
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I suggest there are two issues here, the unregulated activity in the USA and the regulated activity in the UK.

Firstly, no drinking water supplies have ever been polluted in the UK because nowhere in the UK does the public water supply take water from the underground water table. All of the UK public water supply is taken directly from surface water in one form or another. I can't see how the UK public water supply can possibly be affected. Does anyone have any suggestion as to how it might be?

Secondly, the issue of "earthquakes" was discussed at http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/un...blackpool.html though none of my points there were addressed. The "earthquakes" were several orders of magnitude less than would cause any structural damage and I see no reason at all to think any fracking "earthquake" could ever reach that power in the UK. Does anyone have any suggestion why it might?
    In Nottinghamshire, there is something called the "Bunter Sandstone", in which which there is a underground natural water supply stored within this sandstone bed, and used as drinking water by local residents! If fracking is used in Notts, what guarantee is there that this supply will not be contaminated by industrial fracking chemicals?

If you trust these large, commercial companies to safeguard our health, or the safety of our water supply, then "fill your boots"!

As for quakes, why shouldn't fracking cause seismic activity? When these "fragments" settle, there could well be some seismic activity. I would imagine this activity would be worse in a geologically unstable area, or a sink-hole prone area.

We don' need fracking, we need environmentally SYMPATHETIC technology, not more ecological destruction with yet more fossil fuel pollution, mainly for the benefit of industrial "fat-cats" and governments. You complain about offshore power-boat racing, yet appear to support fracking?

Seems a little contradictory!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast