Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Galaxy Quest

  1. #1
    Supporting Member spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brigstow
    Posts
    35,031
    Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    05:17 PM

    Galaxy Quest

    Having an introductory offer to a film-online broadcaster I opened their film selector and saw a lot of titles I'd never heard of. They did have a choose-by-actor option though. Having seen Sigourney Weaver play Dian Fossey I ticked her, and then Alan Rickman on the basis of his work for Radio 4. A film involving them both existed: Galaxy Quest. I watched it. The experience will stay with me for a long time.

    Galaxy Quest deconstructs the ambitions and fantasies of those who attend Conventions and adulate role-playing, especially when undertaken by actors extending their screen performances into the convention arena itself. The what-if fantasy section played out aboard a "real" Thermian battle cruiser echoed equivalent phases of Ken Russell's cleverly-inverted take on Sandy Powell's "The Boy Friend".

    I note that the musical score was exemplary and that the acting of the principals was superb, though I only recognised the two I've mentioned. I turned it off at the point where the ship left the space-dock, fearing an imminent and terminal deterioration in the plot.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

    The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,413
    Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    05:17 PM

    Re: Galaxy Quest

    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Having an introductory offer to a film-online broadcaster I opened their film selector and saw a lot of titles I'd never heard of. They did have a choose-by-actor option though. Having seen Sigourney Weaver play Dian Fossey I ticked her, and then Alan Rickman on the basis of his work for Radio 4. A film involving them both existed: Galaxy Quest. I watched it. The experience will stay with me for a long time.

    Galaxy Quest deconstructs the ambitions and fantasies of those who attend Conventions and adulate role-playing, especially when undertaken by actors extending their screen performances into the convention arena itself. The what-if fantasy section played out aboard a "real" Thermian battle cruiser echoed equivalent phases of Ken Russell's cleverly-inverted take on Sandy Powell's "The Boy Friend".

    I note that the musical score was exemplary and that the acting of the principals was superb, though I only recognised the two I've mentioned. I turned it off at the point where the ship left the space-dock, fearing an imminent and terminal deterioration in the plot.
    You should have watched the rest of it it's really funny in bits especially to star trek fans unless they take it and themselves too seriously. You shouldn't look for deep meaning and relevant social comment in a film that is basically a **** take designed to entertain.

    Most people will know sigourney weaver through the alien film series and alan rickman through die hard and robiin hood prince of thieves I suspect you exist in a cultural backwater and have yet to watch alien and die hard.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okGtz...eature=related

  3. #3
    Mad Arse Face Snooz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Other Square State, USA
    Posts
    4,646
    Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    09:17 AM

    Re: Galaxy Quest

    It definitely spoofed Star Trek and its rabid fan base. This was probably Tim Allen's best movie.

  4. #4
    Supporting Member spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brigstow
    Posts
    35,031
    Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    05:17 PM

    Re: Galaxy Quest

    Quote Originally Posted by SnoozeAgain View Post
    It definitely spoofed Star Trek and its rabid fan base. This was probably Tim Allen's best movie.
    I note the following alleged quote, though I very much doubt its authenticity:
    I thought it was very funny, and I thought the audience that they portrayed was totally real, but the actors that they were pretending to be were totally unrecognizable. Certainly I don't know what Tim Allen was doing. He seemed to be the head of a group of actors, and for the life of me I was trying to understand who he was imitating. The only one I recognized was the girl playing Nichelle Nichols. - William Shatner.
    If it's an accurate quote then William Shatner's sense of humor, which I already rated highly, is stratospheric.

    The Alien, Robin Hood and Die Hard franchises are all labelled "occasional violence", I avoid violence in films as much as I avoid it elsewhere. They also (I suspect though I don't guarantee it) perpetuate the damaging myth that some people are irreproachably good while others are equivalently bad. I'd hate to have that idea infiltrate into my mind, not even by way of a work of fiction.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

    The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,413
    Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    05:17 PM

    Re: Galaxy Quest

    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I note the following alleged quote, though I very much doubt its authenticity:
    I thought it was very funny, and I thought the audience that they portrayed was totally real, but the actors that they were pretending to be were totally unrecognizable. Certainly I don't know what Tim Allen was doing. He seemed to be the head of a group of actors, and for the life of me I was trying to understand who he was imitating. The only one I recognized was the girl playing Nichelle Nichols. - William Shatner.
    If it's an accurate quote then William Shatner's sense of humor, which I already rated highly, is stratospheric.

    The Alien, Robin Hood and Die Hard franchises are all labelled "occasional violence", I avoid violence in films as much as I avoid it elsewhere. They also (I suspect though I don't guarantee it) perpetuate the damaging myth that some people are irreproachably good while others are equivalently bad. I'd hate to have that idea infiltrate into my mind, not even by way of a work of fiction.
    Violence is part of life. Films where violence is the main point of the story I'd be inclined to agree with you can be boring where it is incidental is a whole different matter. I think you miss a lot talking such a circumscribed view - After all Shakespeare contains occasional violence and themes of an adult nature. I take it you also avoid going to church during holy week because of it's glorification of betrayal and violence and the perpetuation of the damaging myth that some people are irreproachably good while others are equivalently bad.


    "I had originally not wanted to see Galaxy Quest because I heard that it was making fun of Star Trek, and then Jonathan Frakes rang me up and said 'You must not miss this movie! See it on a Saturday night in a full theatre.' And I did, and of course I found it was brilliant. Brilliant. No one laughed louder or longer in the cinema than I did."

    -Sir Patrick Stewart (a.k.a. Captain Picard) talking about Galaxy Quest.

  6. #6
    Proudly humble LarsMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    usually on the road to somewhere.
    Posts
    10,518
    Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    09:17 AM

    Re: Galaxy Quest

    Galaxy Quest is funny. There was point where Tim's character gets a little preachy, and the movie starts to take itself seriously, but it doesn't last.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,413
    Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    05:17 PM

    Re: Galaxy Quest

    Curse you spot, I ended up watching it on you tube.

  8. #8
    Proudly humble LarsMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    usually on the road to somewhere.
    Posts
    10,518
    Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    09:17 AM

    Re: Galaxy Quest

    Pretty Silly, huh?
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,413
    Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    05:17 PM

    Re: Galaxy Quest

    Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Pretty Silly, huh?
    No I don't think spot is particularly silly

    Bit of a philistine who perhaps does not appreciate star trek but nobody is perfect.

  10. #10
    Supporting Member spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brigstow
    Posts
    35,031
    Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    05:17 PM

    Re: Galaxy Quest

    Register to remove this ad.
    I think I can top the previous offering...

    Star Wars Uncut: Director's Cut on Vimeo

    This is the version your mother warned you about.
    In 2009, thousands of Internet users were asked to remake “Star Wars: A New Hope” into a fan film, 15 seconds at a time...
    And a review.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

    The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Red Dwarf is the best show in the galaxy.
    By actionfigurestepho in forum General TV Shows
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-22-2017, 02:16 AM
  2. The oldest galaxy in the universe?
    By OpenMind in forum Space and Astronomy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2010, 01:13 PM
  3. LA Galaxy team
    By lalalala in forum Sports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 12:25 AM
  4. I'm on a QUEST.............
    By SOJOURNER in forum General Chit Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-10-2006, 05:42 AM
  5. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
    By persephone in forum Flash Games
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 01:39 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts