+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gary Johnson for President?

Local Date
    12-10-2019
    Local Time
    08:05 AM

Gary Johnson for President?

I haven't really heard of this guy, which has earned me scorn in libertarian circles. I plan to vet him, though. (I'd initially written that I'd check him out, but that just sounds ... wrong)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GOVERNOR GARY JOHNSON ANNOUNCES HE WILL SEEK LIBERTARIAN NOMINATION

Today I am announcing that I will seek the Libertarian nomination for President of the United States. The Libertarian Party nominee will be on the ballot in all 50 states – as they were in 2008, and will offer a principled alternative to the Republican and the Democrat.
    “This was both a difficult decision – and an easy one. It was difficult because I have a lot of Republican history, and a lot of Republican supporters. But in the final analysis, as many, many commentators have said after examining how I governed in New Mexico, I am a Libertarian — that is, someone who is fiscally very conservative but holds freedom-based positions on the issues that govern our personal behavior.

“Frankly, I have been deeply disappointed by the treatment I received in the Republican nomination process. I had hoped to lay out a real libertarian message on all the issues in the Republican contest. The process was not fair and open.
    “This election is about issues larger than party or personal ambition.The future of our country is at stake. “
    I believe this election needs a true libertarian voice. While Ron Paul is a good man and a libertarian who I proudly endorsed for president in 2008, there is no guarantee that he will be the Republican nominee.

“My Agenda for America, a libertarian agenda, is clear. It is not at an agenda you will hear from any other candidate or party.
    • I want to end deficit spending and cut federal spending by 43%.
    • I want to enact the Fair Tax to stimulate real economic growth and job creation.
    • I want to end the manipulation of our money by the Federal Reserve.
    • I support the Second Amendment and oppose gun control.
    • I oppose expensive foreign wars in places like Libya and Afghanistan where our national interest is not clear.
    • I want to cut the over-regulation of our families, our businesses and our lives.
    • I support a woman’s right to choose.
    • I support marriage equality for gay Americans, as required by the Constitution.
    • I support the legalization of marijuana, which will save us billions and do no harm.
    • I demand a government free of special interest influence, crony capitalism and corruption.
    • I support returning strict adherence to Constitutional principles to our government.

I am confident this agenda will resonate with the American people because it actually reflects the true beliefs of a clear majority of Americans. Sadly, neither the Republicans nor Democrats will offer this agenda to the American people. The Republicans talk about cutting spending and taxes but insist on government regulating our personal lives. The Democrats support more liberal social policies but they will tax and spend and borrow us into bankruptcy. America needs a third way.

I know first-hand that my governing philosophy works because of my experience as a successful two-term governor, elected and reelected as a Republican in a Democrat state. I know how to create jobs because I have created jobs. My record on job creation is superior to Barack Obama, Mitt Romney or any other candidate. I successfully governed as a Libertarian in everything but the name, and I am running for president as a Libertarian.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    12-10-2019
    Local Time

Re: Gary Johnson for President?

I could vote for Johnson.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    12-10-2019
    Local Time

I'd love to know where the Constitution requires marriage equality for gay Americans. I'd love to know where the Constitution mentions marriage at all.

Local Date
    12-10-2019
    Local Time

Local Date
    12-10-2019
    Local Time
    07:05 AM

I'm resurrecting this four-year-old thread because Johnson will definitely be running on the Libertarian ticket in 2016 and he may NOT ONLY have a chance of becoming the next POTUS but also establishing his party as a major political entity if Donald Trump manages to destroy the Republican party as he seems to be doing.

To quote the late George Harrison, "I'm a dark horse, and I'm running on a dark race course"

Local Date
    12-10-2019
    Local Time
    06:05 AM

My favorite governor, and a home-state hero of mine personally. He advocated for the legalization of marijuana long before it became reality. He used to bike, climb mountains, and generally be a great leader for everyone in our state. I'd love to vote for him, and I may even do so, if for no other reason than to give the bird to Trump. But I'll most likely vote for Hillary.

I am a dyed-in-the-wool liberal after all...

Oh hey, on a side note. Lately I've taken to putting my "Obama 2012" car magnet on and driving around town just to piss off the rednecks. Great fun! I just hope none of them shoot me.

Local Date
    12-10-2019
    Local Time

I could consider voting for the guy. I was impressed with him during the 2012 primary, but he fell out pretty early. The GOP was already starting to unravel back then.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    12-10-2019
    Local Time

I would like to vote for somebody but this Gary Johnson guy I just can't stomach that.

I like a lot of what Libertarians stand for, but just too unrealistic.

Local Date
    12-10-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    I would like to vote for somebody but this Gary Johnson guy I just can't stomach that.

I like a lot of what Libertarians stand for, but just too unrealistic.
    What is it about him that you feel is unrealistic?

I always wonder when they bring up "Fair Tax" and wonder how such a thing will "stimulate economic growth"
    Wonderful words, really, but words are cheap.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    12-10-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    What is it about him that you feel is unrealistic?
    Isolationism didn't work so well in the '30s and is super stupid today. Our current President is doing a lot of that and I am not impressed with the results.

I am constantly amazed at the hatred of the Federal Reserve.

Not going to say if this is good or bad, but the Internal Revenue Service is here to stay. Best to do a Reagan on the tax code, again. I know like budging the huge boulder up the hill only to have it roll back down.

I hate the concept of a "Fair Tax" /Consumption Tax. Better to see my tax up front, a place where I can direct my annoyance.

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    I always wonder when they bring up "Fair Tax" and wonder how such a thing will "stimulate economic growth"
    Wonderful words, really, but words are cheap.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast