Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I wonder why....

Banned
    Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time
    04:26 AM

I wonder why....

Is there something that you see In life where there Is never one reasonable, rational answer as to why ?

Do you ponder these things as I sometime's do but fail to find the answer?

Mine Is this :

Why Is It that whenever I am on a Motorway, doesn't matter which one or what direction I'm going In.... In the middle of the road, on the side of the verge or even hanging from a tree, there will be one shoe. Never a pair of shoes, just one.

As I drive past the lone shoe, I find myself scanning the road and verge wondering where the other one Is but I never see one.

Banned
    Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time

Re: I wonder why....

Here's another one...

When I am going along the road In my car and someone has already started to cross the road ahead of me, why do they do that little half hearted skip and hop as If to show they are making an effort but In fact haven't Increased their pace one Iota ?

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    11:26 PM

There was a fad here a few years ago and it may in fact still be around although I see less of it these days where young people would tie two shoes' laces together and try to fling them over everything from traffic lights to telephone wires. It was a common sight to be driving somewhere and see 2 sneakers dangling & swinging in the breeze.

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tabby View Post
    There was a fad here a few years ago and it may in fact still be around although I see less of it these days where young people would tie two shoes' laces together and try to fling them over everything from traffic lights to telephone wires. It was a common sight to be driving somewhere and see 2 sneakers dangling & swinging in the breeze.
    Pity the poor sods they'd nicked them from :-(

San Diego, California (Native born and raised)
    Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    09:26 PM

Lightbulb Re: I wonder why....

There is a myth, or maybe not a myth that if you see a pair or single tennis shoe thrown over a powerline its a signal to druggies or buyer that there is one in the neighborhood, or if you are a dealer it is telling you to move on. ????
    ALOHA!!
    MOTTO TO LIVE BY:
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.
    WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by CARLA View Post
    There is a myth, or maybe not a myth that if you see a pair or single tennis shoe thrown over a powerline its a signal to druggies or buyer that there is one in the neighborhood, or if you are a dealer it is telling you to move on. ????
    I think you live in a different world to me :-(

(or maybe I'm just naive?)

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    11:26 PM

Carla, I had never heard that about it having meaning, gang or otherwise, and I just assumed it was some innocent fad. I just did a search and found this on Snopes: snopes.com: Sneakers on Power Lines

I've seen them in the oddest places, such as on a traffic sign of the type that hang over interstates. It would have to be like a shoe version of a drive by shooting ... a drive by shoe slinging! Sneakers or tennis shoes do seem to be the shoe of choice.

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time
    06:26 AM

Quote Originally Posted by tabby View Post
    Carla, I had never heard that about it having meaning, gang or otherwise, and I just assumed it was some innocent fad. I just did a search and found this on Snopes: snopes.com: Sneakers on Power Lines

I've seen them in the oddest places, such as on a traffic sign of the type that hang over interstates. It would have to be like a shoe version of a drive by shooting ... a drive by shoe slinging! Sneakers or tennis shoes do seem to be the shoe of choice.
    Just learned a few things with the link! Thank you Tabby...and Oscar.....thanks for bringing this up!

Lady J

Banned
    Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time
    06:26 AM

I have never been able to figure out why a motorist will always wait until I am almost at the intersection before they pull out in front of me.

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by jones jones View Post
    I have never been able to figure out why a motorist will always wait until I am almost at the intersection before they pull out in front of me.
    The thrill - not knowing whether two seconds up the line you'll be sitting in a mangled wreck of a car. How can you live without that sort of excitement?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast