+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Silly boy

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    02:57 PM

Silly boy

Scots offered vote on breakaway next year - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

Scots offered vote on breakaway next year
    Two points,

One the SNP are not actually bluffing
    Two they have said before during and after the last election they would hold a referendum in the latter half of the parliament if they got elected they will do so.

It's wonderful they are playing right in to the hands of the SNP Salmond probably fell off his chair laughing. This is such a blatant attempt to squash them it will backfire spectacularly if they try it. Most scots currently would probably vote for the third option - greater independence within the union rather than complete independence unless the tories do something like this. The last referendum (which was fiddled) I actually voted no mainly because a Scotland run by the labour mafia would have been a disaster. I would vote for a third option but given a stark choice imposed by Westminster most scots, myself included, will IMO vote yes just in protest at the sheer arrogance of it.

There is one tory MP in scotland, how big a hint does he need that the tories are not popular in scotland? Without Proportional representation they would have no MSP's either

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Re: Silly boy

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Scots offered vote on breakaway next year - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

Two points,

One the SNP are not actually bluffing
    Two they have said before during and after the last election they would hold a referendum in the latter half of the parliament if they got elected they will do so.

It's wonderful they are playing right in to the hands of the SNP Salmond probably fell off his chair laughing. This is such a blatant attempt to squash them it will backfire spectacularly if they try it. Most scots currently would probably vote for the third option - greater independence within the union rather than complete independence unless the tories do something like this. The last referendum (which was fiddled) I actually voted no mainly because a Scotland run by the labour mafia would have been a disaster. I would vote for a third option but given a stark choice imposed by Westminster most scots, myself included, will IMO vote yes just in protest at the sheer arrogance of it.

There is one tory MP in scotland, how big a hint does he need that the tories are not popular in scotland? Without Proportional representation they would have no MSP's either
    As soon as I saw Cameron's pronouncement I saw red rags waving in the breeze. Could it be deliberate? If Scotland goes Labour loose more MPs than he does and he just short sighted (and dumb) enough to be excited by that.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    As soon as I saw Cameron's pronouncement I saw red rags waving in the breeze. Could it be deliberate? If Scotland goes Labour loose more MPs than he does and he just short sighted (and dumb) enough to be excited by that.
    I don't know and it is only my opinion but I think they really do not understand just how hostile most scots are to government by a party we didn't vote for and having policies forced on us we are hostile to and to our detriment most especially as a result of thatcher and the tories and it would be fair to say new labour are now seen in much the same light which is something the scottish labour party is beginning to understand and are trying to distance themselves from the Westminster party and being perceived as nodding dogs to a new labour tune - Scotland is not so much pro labour as anti-conservative His "offering" to hold a referendum like it was a wee sweetie to keep us quiet is like a red rag to a bull. we don't need his permission If we decide we want independence the only remaining question is the detail of how it is done. The prospect scares the **** out of Westminster, the notion we are all benefit junkies and subsidised by england is nonsense otherwise they would be happy to see us go. Especially with all the new oil fields off shetland and the north east coast, losing that revenue stream frightens them.

It seems to me he thinks he only has to contend with the SNP and alex salmond and doesn't get the significance of the size of their majority at the last Scottish election. If they insist on this referendum and then the snp hold another one when they have said they will the odds are people will hang fire for the "real" one and largely abstain for the first one - except perhaps for those that want to keep the union . It doesn't have to be yes or no and most of us are bright enough to know that. He's a public schoolboy who has never had a real job, he probably thinks we are all illiterate peasants who just need a guiding hand.

Banned
    Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    01:57 PM

I can't see the point of Salmond holding off a referendum for 18 months for It to co-Incide with the anniversary of Robert The Bruce. I see It as tactics.... people will feel far more patriotic at the timing and boost votes possibly.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    I can't see the point of Salmond holding off a referendum for 18 months for It to co-Incide with the anniversary of Robert The Bruce. I see It as tactics.... people will feel far more patriotic at the timing and boost votes possibly.
    Scots are ever so slightly cynical and are hardly more likely to vote yes just because it is the seven hundredth anniversary of Bannockburn. On the other hand a tory lead government trying the put up or shut up approach really reminds people of some of the reasons for the animosity towards the tories.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    05:57 AM

Indeed, without Labour's Scottish MPs the Conservatives would win every election.

Banned
    Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Gentle Brother View Post
    Indeed, without Labour's Scottish MPs the Conservatives would win every election.
    I'm all In favour of anything that stops a Labour Government

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Well, cheerio. I expect Salmond to have the referendum at a time that suits him best, framed in terms that split any unionist vote, with lots of kids voting. The result is a foregone conclusion. Just as long as they take their share of the debt by percentage of population, I'm past caring any more.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    Well, cheerio. I expect Salmond to have the referendum at a time that suits him best, framed in terms that split any unionist vote, with lots of kids voting. The result is a foregone conclusion. Just as long as they take their share of the debt by percentage of population, I'm past caring any more.
    No problem so long as there is no argument about our keeping our share of the income - no sneaky re-drawing of the border

Scottish Conspiracies Political Injustices Scotlands History Mc Crone GERS Report Indpendence Devolution Referendum 1979 2005 Trident

The majority of scots want either complete independence or greater devolution within the union those who want to retain the status quo are in the minority.

Cameron has handed the right wing of his party a club to beat him with, if he will force the scots to a referendum why will he not let the british people have a referendum on staying in europe? Salmond proposed a consultative referendum that wasn't legally binding but would lead on to further discussion. Thatcher did more than anyone else to help the SNP now it looks like cameron will hand them victory.

I have every confidence england will be able to survive on it's own with help from the welsh and northern irish it seems to be westminster that worries at the prospect.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    No problem so long as there is no argument about our keeping our share of the income - no sneaky re-drawing of the border
    Which border? I assume the one at the time of Union?

If so, I say you get the oil, we get the gas - which is what you get if the border is drawn east/west from the current one.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast