+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Community Supported Agriculture

Local Date
    09-19-2019
    Local Time
    06:08 PM

Community Supported Agriculture

I bought a CSA share yesterday in a nearby farm for a proceeds of their yield once a week from mid May to the end of November. This venture is new to me so this will be a learning experience in economics as well as providing ample healthy fruits and vegetables for quite some time. Iím so looking forward to it and I hope it proves a worthwhile small investment.

Although the farm offers eggs from free range chickens as well as selling beef and goat meat, I bought my share solely for the vegetables and fruit. They also have a deal where you can receive your share "free" if you ďdonateĒ 6 hours a week to work on the farm. Since I just left a fast paced job where I felt knee deep in ... um ... crap, I just donít feel ready to volunteer my time to shovel more crap albeit of a different type.

I found the farm by doing a search on Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food . This is a great site/resource for anyone interested in locally grown foods. Iíve used it often in the last few years and discovered a whole world of healthy foods right under my nose and I never even knew they were there!

The veggies & fruits on this CSA share will include: beets, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, collards, sweet corn, cucumber, eggplant, garlic, green beans, green onions, hot peppers, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, lettuce, mustard greens, okra, onions, peas, potatoes, pumpkins, radishes, salad greens, salad mix, shallots, spinach, summer squash, sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, swiss chard, tomatoes, turnips, winter squash, zucchini, blackberries, cantaloupes, melons, raspberries, strawberries, watermelons & fresh herbs.

Has anyone else here done anything similar? If so, I'd love to hear your experiences!

Local Date
    09-19-2019
    Local Time

Re: Community Supported Agriculture

Quote Originally Posted by tabby View Post
    I bought a CSA share yesterday in a nearby farm for a proceeds of their yield once a week from mid May to the end of November. This venture is new to me so this will be a learning experience in economics as well as providing ample healthy fruits and vegetables for quite some time. I’m so looking forward to it and I hope it proves a worthwhile small investment.

Although the farm offers eggs from free range chickens as well as selling beef and goat meat, I bought my share solely for the vegetables and fruit. They also have a deal where you can receive your share "free" if you “donate” 6 hours a week to work on the farm. Since I just left a fast paced job where I felt knee deep in ... um ... crap, I just don’t feel ready to volunteer my time to shovel more crap albeit of a different type.

I found the farm by doing a search on Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food . This is a great site/resource for anyone interested in locally grown foods. I’ve used it often in the last few years and discovered a whole world of healthy foods right under my nose and I never even knew they were there!

The veggies & fruits on this CSA share will include: beets, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, collards, sweet corn, cucumber, eggplant, garlic, green beans, green onions, hot peppers, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, lettuce, mustard greens, okra, onions, peas, potatoes, pumpkins, radishes, salad greens, salad mix, shallots, spinach, summer squash, sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, swiss chard, tomatoes, turnips, winter squash, zucchini, blackberries, cantaloupes, melons, raspberries, strawberries, watermelons & fresh herbs.

Has anyone else here done anything similar? If so, I'd love to hear your experiences!
    That sounds cool, may I ask how much a share costs and what amounts you recieve from a share?

Local Date
    09-19-2019
    Local Time

Each share is $30 and includes 2 bushels for an average weight of 15 lbs, depending on what is in season, of course. If you add a dozen eggs to your share, it goes up to $35. Organic or not, $5.00 for a dozen eggs seemed pricey to me so I passed on those. You can buy weekly shares or bi-weekly shares. I didn't inquire about the price of the beef or goat meat since I wasn't interested but I'm guessing that wasn't a weekly item as much as a fill your freezer at the time of slaughter kind of thing.

The farm is about 7 miles away and we went last weekend to check it out. On the face of it, it looks like a well run operation!

As a side note, they have a very beautiful lake set amidst rolling hills and a gazebo nearby that they offer for outdoor weddings. It was a gorgeous setting!

Local Date
    09-19-2019
    Local Time

Each share is $30 and includes 2 bushels for an average weight of 15 lbs, depending on what is in season, of course. If you add a dozen eggs to your share, it goes up to $35. Organic or not, $5.00 for a dozen eggs seemed pricey to me so I passed on those. You can buy weekly shares or bi-weekly shares. I didn't inquire about the price of the beef or goat meat since I wasn't interested but I'm guessing that wasn't a weekly item as much as a fill your freezer at the time of slaughter kind of thing.

The farm is about 7 miles away and we went last weekend to check it out. On the face of it, it looks like a well run operation!

As a side note, they have a very beautiful lake set amidst rolling hills and a gazebo nearby that they offer for outdoor weddings. It was a gorgeous setting!
    They grow all those veggies at the same farm?

Local Date
    09-19-2019
    Local Time

Yes, all on the same farm.

Banned
    Local Date
    09-19-2019
    Local Time
    11:08 PM

What a wonderful Idea

Local Date
    09-19-2019
    Local Time
    05:08 PM

My sister-in-law is signed up for such a farm.
    At first, she didn't want to do the volunteer work. She is an accountant, and pretty busy.
    Now she has decided it is worth the time investment, just to get away from accounting and dig in the dirt. She loves it, and actually works twice the hours required, and donates a share to the community food share program.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    09-20-2019
    Local Time
    01:08 AM

Tabby will you and your family be volunteering at the farm?

Growing your own vegetables is such a rewarding experience.

Since many here don't have the space, the community associations have set aside parcels of land and you can pay a nominal fee for a piece of land and farm and work it yourself. It can be 6' x 6' or 20' x 12', any size you want.

I think the only problem with that might be others helping themselves to your harvest but usually you have more then enuf to go around.

I hope you enjoy it!

Local Date
    09-19-2019
    Local Time

$5 for a dozen eggs every week May through November?? That's a fantastic deal.

Local Date
    09-19-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady J View Post
    Tabby will you and your family be volunteering at the farm?

Growing your own vegetables is such a rewarding experience.

Since many here don't have the space, the community associations have set aside parcels of land and you can pay a nominal fee for a piece of land and farm and work it yourself. It can be 6' x 6' or 20' x 12', any size you want.

I think the only problem with that might be others helping themselves to your harvest but usually you have more then enuf to go around.

I hope you enjoy it!
    No volunteering at this point, LadyJ, although I won't discount the possibility in the future. I'm looking on this as a learning experience with fringe benefits!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast