Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Slave states vs Bible Belt

Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time
    03:27 PM

Re: Slave states vs Bible Belt

Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    In the build-up to the Civil War, virtually every religious group in the US went through a major schism. Preachers and church leaders in the south were using the Bible to defend slavery while their counterparts in the north were using the same Bible to condemn it. The Baptists, for example, spawned the Southern Baptists, which condoned slavery. While the primary issue was slavery, the newly formed southern religious organizations also railed against the "intellectuals" and "elitists" in the north. Sound familiar?
    All too.
    except it is no longer limited to the "Ignorant South"
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Premium Member
    Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time
    05:27 PM

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Only a few (relative to the population of believers) ignorant types really think that the Bible justified slavery, and those are not limited to the South.
    I personally interpret the bible as pure slavery, but that wasn't what I was referring to in my post. What I was talking about is the idea that humans are God's special guests in life and everything else is there to serve God and his special guests. All that is required from that point is to convince oneself that the other life form is different enough to be excluded as one of God's special guests and place them in the other category. Skin color, gender, speech impediments and a whole host of "disorders" and differences have been used to justify our belief in slave making. We even do this with our young. If they agree to "serve" their country, their "slavery" status gets transformed into "hero" billing. Of course we're all slaves to the economy and those who refuse to get labeled as lazy.
    And how does one correlate the concentration of conservative trends in the West to the OP?
    I don't understand this question.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time

Slavery was not unique to the Bible, or Christianity, or even to the Jewish culture from which the Bible evolved.
    While there are certain racial implications around the system of slavery that existed in the southern US, it really had little to do with the Bible.

Chances are, should one study the history of the region, one would find that the so called Bible Belt is more a result of the region's history than as cause, and Slavery was more a cause of the southern culture than the result of it.

One should remember that even those cultures to whom we credit the creation of Democracy were slave cultures.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers

Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time
    01:27 PM

In the early colonies, religion played a dominant role. The Pilgrims and other groups came to escape "persecution" by other Christians who believed slightly differently. The religion controlled the workplace, the police, the courts, the schools, and every other aspect of life. It is interesting to note the little changes the Pilgrims made to their beliefs to get the workers to work harder.

In the years before the Civil War, wealth and power was centered in the industrial northeast, with a few barons holding most. The south was primarily agricultural and provided raw materials (cotton) to the barons, who set the price. Slavery was a way to produce the cotton at a price where a profit could be made. When those in the north began the push to outlaw slavery, one of the reasons was to exert more economic control over the south. The south resented that move.

Just as with the early colonies, religion was an integral part of the culture. It was natural for slavery to be integrated into the religion, as it had been for a couple of thousand years. To the south, the move to outlaw slavery was an attack on their culture, as much as anything.

Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time

Slavery was quite common throughout Europe and the colonies until the beginning of the 19th century. It was hardly unique to American colonies.
    England declared slavery illegal within England in 1772, but seemed to have no problem with it in the colonies until long after the US had gained independence.

With technological advances in the early 19th century slavery was rapidly becoming an anachronism.
    Slave owners in the South just wanted to maintain the way of life they had become accustomed to, and refused to give in to modern times. (sound familiar?)

Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time
    05:27 PM

Seems that way.
    I rather like this map showing results by county though:
    County to county has a much higher difference of population ratios. A county of a population of 1000 will show up in red compared to a blue county consisting of 5 million. State by state is a closer gradient when considering the trends of the entire country.

Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time
    04:27 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    It's the other way around here. Blue=liberal, Red=conservative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    For us higgorent foreigners, which way do you colour your maps?

For us it's red to the left (Labour) and blue to the right (Conservative).
    It's the other way around here. Blue=liberal, Red=conservative.
    Close. Red indicates that a majority of its electorate voted for the Republican candidate. Blue indicates that a majority of its electorate voted for the Democratic candidate. There is very little difference between the two, ideologically.

*Note: it's very important that the words remain capitalized, since Democratic candidates don't support democracy and Republican candidates don't support republicanism.

Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time

I personally interpret the bible as pure slavery, but that wasn't what I was referring to in my post. What I was talking about is the idea that humans are God's special guests in life and everything else is there to serve God and his special guests. All that is required from that point is to convince oneself that the other life form is different enough to be excluded as one of God's special guests and place them in the other category. Skin color, gender, speech impediments and a whole host of "disorders" and differences have been used to justify our belief in slave making. We even do this with our young. If they agree to "serve" their country, their "slavery" status gets transformed into "hero" billing. Of course we're all slaves to the economy and those who refuse to get labeled as lazy.
    I don't understand this question.
    That's an interesting point. I wonder what emotional lesson a kid learns when they are taught to believe that God confines tortures people in Hell. If they are taught to turn a blind eye to this suffering, and worship this God as good and perfectly just, then why would they care if the same type of abuse is happening in the barn out back? What they are essentially worshipping is the idea that "might makes right," a pecking order should be established, and no abuse of power is too extreme.

Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time
    09:27 PM

Interesting the Slave states and Bible Belt coincide to such an extent. Are there any other maps, demographic, geological, climatic or any other anyone can think of that show a similar separation of the bottom right from the rest of the US?

edit: I assume the Civil War map is covered by the Slave State idea.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time
    04:27 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    Interesting the Slave states and Bible Belt coincide to such an extent. Are there any other maps, demographic, geological, climatic or any other anyone can think of that show a similar separation of the bottom right from the rest of the US?

edit: I assume the Civil War map is covered by the Slave State idea.
    I found this by searching temperate zone maps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast