Um, yes?
    Um, no.

Local Date
    08-18-2019
    Local Time
    02:35 AM

Re: Is Suicide An Altruistic Act?

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    Brings me back to OP---how can a suicide which leaves victims behind (esp. children) ever be considered altruistic? Maybe the children (or another) would prefer the 'burden' of care? Yet, if life has become such a horror, maybe it is the survivors who should try to be altruistic (I believe altruism does not exist).
    It really depends on the circumstances surrounding why they did it I think it's a mistake to look for a black and white verdict on the issue. As I said earlier to Christians it is a mortal sin and you'll go straight to hell personally I am loathe to take delight in the misery of others. Sad to see you don't think altruism exists -I think it is a human norm and not caring is abnormal. Without altruism we have no society.

Local Date
    08-18-2019
    Local Time
    01:35 AM

Um, no.
    Let me find the quotation in question:

Am I supposed to change my belief that a person should do whatever they choose because of the effects of their choice?
    So you are saying that in all circumstances you will exercise your right to do as you wish regardless of the consequences to anybody or anything else?

Wow.

You can't mean this the way I'm reading it.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Local Date
    08-18-2019
    Local Time

Brings me back to OP---how can a suicide which leaves victims behind (esp. children) ever be considered altruistic? Maybe the children (or another) would prefer the 'burden' of care? Yet, if life has become such a horror, maybe it is the survivors who should try to be altruistic (I believe altruism does not exist).
    I reckon the laying down of life for a friend is pretty altruistic. Or the pilot who stays with his crashing plane to avoid the built up area. But these are exceptions and rightly honoured as such and I'm not really sure they should be classified as suicide. Generally I agree that the selfish gene rules. In the case of suicide, I think it can be justified in a number of possible scenarios even with children. For example, I think a system whereby people can indicate circumstances in which the machines would be switched off or whatever might be the best way forward. But it's a complex area and I woudn't claim to have a fixed opinion at present.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

one who speaks her mind! Wild Fire's Avatar
    Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    09:35 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    You can't mean this the way I'm reading it.
    No, I don't. Of course I mean within the law, in most cases. Yes, attempting suicide is against the law (it is in this state, anyway) but it shouldn't be. There are occasions where the law or the rules are just wrong. But I do mean allowing a person to do as they choose within the law, usually.
    I may seem a bit strange to some, but I am not an anarchist.

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Anyone's attempt to commit suicide is altruistic. The real question is whether or not one is justified in their attempt to commit suicide based on their perception of the social implications that led to their reasoning. The worst part of all of it is how skilled society is at disheartening these people.

Local Date
    08-18-2019
    Local Time
    02:35 AM

Quote Originally Posted by K.Snyder View Post
    Anyone's attempt to commit suicide is altruistic. The real question is whether or not one is justified in their attempt to commit suicide based on their perception of the social implications that led to their reasoning. The worst part of all of it is how skilled society is at disheartening these people.
    Those committing suicide might believe that they are doing the best for their "family", I have never been able to get inside their heads well enough to work that out, but most of the instances I've been witness to they have been wrong.

As to society "disheartening" people, the lack of empathy we show to those in need is heartbreaking.

Local Date
    08-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    Those committing suicide might believe that they are doing the best for their "family", I have never been able to get inside their heads well enough to work that out, but most of the instances I've been witness to they have been wrong.

As to society "disheartening" people, the lack of empathy we show to those in need is heartbreaking.
    I think we can only ever do the best for ourselves, as the self is always our starting point. I don't know of anyone who is selfless and that makes me wonder if anyone can behave altruistically...but that is just a "wondering."
    Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke

Premium Member
    Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    When I first posed the question in the OP, I was thinking from the perspective of the suicidal person and the assumption that what we do somehow benefits us; and as a further assumption, the benefits to the group or species as a whole.

Many of the laments of the suicidal person are such like; "nobody likes me"; "I'm a drag on others"; "I do everything wrong"; "I'm an outcast" etc..
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3