that's ok then, where were they?

Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time
    06:24 AM

Re: Edinburgh, what to do there?

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    that's ok then, where were they?
    In rather prestigious surroundings, you might need to take a hat.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time
    05:24 AM

The Royal Mile and Edinburgh Castle, and Arthur's Seat. A look at the Forth Rail and Road Bridges (yes really!).

Those would be my recommendations. Don't know the intimate detail stuff.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Supporting Member along-for-the-ride's Avatar
    Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time
    12:24 AM

Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time

When I think of Edinburgh, what I really think of is this mountain range as high as the Himalayas today and one particular volcano, now long dead and eroded completely away apart from the last remnants of lava in the volcano's throat. That spike of the Earth's core is the stub of rock on which Edinburgh Castle sits.

It's really, really old.

Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time

Couple of good museums near the Castle. The Mackintosh? And I remember one with fantastic paintings...

Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    The Royal Mile and Edinburgh Castle, and Arthur's Seat. A look at the Forth Rail and Road Bridges (yes really!).

Those would be my recommendations. Don't know the intimate detail stuff.
    We're staying quite close to the Castle and the Royal Mile so we'll visit those for sure. We're more walking about looking at architecture people than spending hours in the galleries, actually there are two of us that would spend hours in the galleries but one other who wouldn't lol so we need to find a happy medium

Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time

The area round the castle is a medeival city built when people walked everywhere - you don't need a car and it's actuallu anuisance having one best leave it at a park and ride if you are coming in to the centre - parking is extortionate. Depends what interests you, all the museums are good, mary kings close is a must The Real Mary King's Close if you like ghosties, I'm a sceptic but I would be loathe to spend a night there on my own - whether it's a ghost or something in the atmosphere take your pick. You can walk the same streets as burke and hare, conan doyle, alexander bell bonnie prince charlie etc etc. The new town was built in georgian times and anyone familiar with bath would feel at home. It's been occupied since stone age times. Arthur's seat is worth a look just for the views - you can see both bridges for instance. . Depends when you are visiting and how long you have.If I were you I'd do research on line to see what tweaks your interest and it also depends how much time you have. I can give you pointers as tom what I think you should prioritise. Edinburgh at festival time is unique with street theatre all over the royal mile and fringe sunday is fun. Edinburgh has two distinct characters, the cultured well off side and the industrial council estate underbelly you get in any city. The guy in the video is wrong about the accents most scots modify the speech when speaking to tourists put of courtesy.

Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    The area round the castle is a medeival city built when people walked everywhere - you don't need a car and it's actuallu anuisance having one best leave it at a park and ride if you are coming in to the centre - parking is extortionate. Depends what interests you, all the museums are good, mary kings close is a must The Real Mary King's Close if you like ghosties, I'm a sceptic but I would be loathe to spend a night there on my own - whether it's a ghost or something in the atmosphere take your pick. You can walk the same streets as burke and hare, conan doyle, alexander bell bonnie prince charlie etc etc. The new town was built in georgian times and anyone familiar with bath would feel at home. It's been occupied since stone age times. Arthur's seat is worth a look just for the views - you can see both bridges for instance. . Depends when you are visiting and how long you have.If I were you I'd do research on line to see what tweaks your interest and it also depends how much time you have. I can give you pointers as tom what I think you should prioritise. Edinburgh at festival time is unique with street theatre all over the royal mile and fringe sunday is fun. Edinburgh has two distinct characters, the cultured well off side and the industrial council estate underbelly you get in any city. The guy in the video is wrong about the accents most scots modify the speech when speaking to tourists put of courtesy.
    We're flying in, cheapest way, so no car. We have five full days to spend looking about in September. Will look up these bridges that you and Clod speak of and Arthur's seat. My brother mentioned the Botanical gardens, are they good?

Local Date
    08-24-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    we need to find a happy medium
    Found one.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast