Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Depression, a horrible place to be

  1. #1
    Cardi Goddess!! Betty Boop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    15,451
    Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    03:42 PM

    Depression, a horrible place to be

    How do you define depression?

    How do you snap yourself out of it?

    I've been low for quite some time now and seem to be getting more and more upset that I can't snap myself out of it. It's a whole load of stuff going on around me I think, at the moment if it were not for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.

    I can sit back and see that I have three lovely children and as some people say that should be enough to make me happy. Right now they are the only reason I get out of bed each day.

    If I could have a pound for every time a friend or acquaintance says 'well you look ok', I'd be a rich depressed person instead of a poor one. I think maybe they are of the opinion that because you put on a show of being ok then you must be.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    WEST SUSSEX, ENGLAND
    Posts
    31,529
    Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    03:42 PM

    Re: Depression, a horrible place to be

    Will PM you.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kingston-upon-Thames
    Posts
    5,130
    Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    03:42 PM

    Re: Depression, a horrible place to be

    You don't snap out of it. It ends when it ends. But one day you will look outside and spontaneously smile. If you are truly depressed, you won't believe that, but it will happen.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

  4. #4
    Cardi Goddess!! Betty Boop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    15,451
    Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    03:42 PM

    Re: Depression, a horrible place to be

    Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    You don't snap out of it. It ends when it ends. But one day you will look outside and spontaneously smile. If you are truly depressed, you won't believe that, but it will happen.
    It's not my first brush with it, that was back when I was 19 and I remember one doctor telling me to pull my socks up and go and play a game of tennis.
    I've been low in the years since but not like this, Doctors won't give you anything now like they did in the time I was low when every time I went they were throwing anti-depressants at me which I refused. I hit a point a few months ago when I would have happily taken anything they gave me. My Doctor remembers my point black refusal when he tried prescribing them before and told me he wasn't going to give me any as I was stronger than that, not sure if that helps or not.

  5. #5
    Supporting Member along-for-the-ride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    on the road of life
    Posts
    11,792
    Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    10:42 AM

    Re: Depression, a horrible place to be

    Here's a hug for you, Betty.
    Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

  6. #6
    anomaly
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    16,772
    Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    08:42 AM

    Re: Depression, a horrible place to be

    It could be post-partum this time. If you want medical treatment you might convince him that you're strong enough this time as you believe it's connected to child birth.

    Otherwise, the best natural battle tools are a really good vitamin B complex therapy and you could try adding vitamin D as that's sometimes the deficiency area.

  7. #7
    High Priestess of Cardis theia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    8,166
    Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    03:42 PM

    Re: Depression, a horrible place to be

    Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    How do you define depression?

    How do you snap yourself out of it?

    I've been low for quite some time now and seem to be getting more and more upset that I can't snap myself out of it. It's a whole load of stuff going on around me I think, at the moment if it were not for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.

    I can sit back and see that I have three lovely children and as some people say that should be enough to make me happy. Right now they are the only reason I get out of bed each day.

    If I could have a pound for every time a friend or acquaintance says 'well you look ok', I'd be a rich depressed person instead of a poor one. I think maybe they are of the opinion that because you put on a show of being ok then you must be.
    I don't think you can snap yourself out of it...and I think we make it harder for ourselves when we think we can. And other people's comments are not always helpful because they are not going through the experience with you. In truth there can't be any "shoulds" in depression, these can make you feel worse than you do already. If you're going through a period of depression, then that is how it is..."shoulds" don't help.

    Medication isn't for everyone but why not have another chat with your G.P. and see what s/he suggests?

    Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,550
    Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    04:42 PM

    Re: Depression, a horrible place to be

    I would distinguish between clinical depression and just feeling a bit fed up. some people are just miserable.

    Depression self-assessment - Health tools - NHS Choices

  9. #9
    Premium Member Snowfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Darn Sarf. Hingland
    Posts
    4,811
    Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    04:42 PM

    Re: Depression, a horrible place to be

    Please don't think for one minute that I'm making light of depression but Stephen Fry once said that the old wives tale of going for a brisk walk to clear the cobwebs, so to speak, really did work. He insisted that there was a very definite benefit to the very bad "downs" he had with his bi-polar condition and would go for long brisk walks
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
    Winston Churchill

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kingston-upon-Thames
    Posts
    5,130
    Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    03:42 PM

    Re: Depression, a horrible place to be

    Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    Please don't think for one minute that I'm making light of depression but Stephen Fry once said that the old wives tale of going for a brisk walk to clear the cobwebs, so to speak, really did work. He insisted that there was a very definite benefit to the very bad "downs" he had with his bi-polar condition and would go for long brisk walks
    Maybe it's just the male urge to find a solution rather than just sympathise, but it seems to me this has to be worth a try - and you are in a truly great place for brisk walks or slow ambles. And if you just think "No" without really knowing why then I'm certain you should give it a go.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Oh god what a horrible day .
    By fuzzywuzzy in forum Friends, Relationships, & Advice
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-24-2009, 05:27 PM
  2. Horrible !
    By Nomad in forum General Chit Chat
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 10-13-2008, 07:22 AM
  3. the Jena 6 - this is horrible
    By [love]light in forum Current Political Events
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 08:13 AM
  4. What a horrible act
    By valerie in forum Crimes & Trials
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-29-2006, 12:04 PM
  5. A horrible thought:
    By BabyRider in forum Crimes & Trials
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-14-2006, 06:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts