Thread: Depression, a horrible place to be

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    03:42 PM

Depression, a horrible place to be

How do you define depression?

How do you snap yourself out of it?

I've been low for quite some time now and seem to be getting more and more upset that I can't snap myself out of it. It's a whole load of stuff going on around me I think, at the moment if it were not for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.

I can sit back and see that I have three lovely children and as some people say that should be enough to make me happy. Right now they are the only reason I get out of bed each day.

If I could have a pound for every time a friend or acquaintance says 'well you look ok', I'd be a rich depressed person instead of a poor one. I think maybe they are of the opinion that because you put on a show of being ok then you must be.

Banned
    Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

Re: Depression, a horrible place to be

Will PM you.

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

You don't snap out of it. It ends when it ends. But one day you will look outside and spontaneously smile. If you are truly depressed, you won't believe that, but it will happen.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    You don't snap out of it. It ends when it ends. But one day you will look outside and spontaneously smile. If you are truly depressed, you won't believe that, but it will happen.
    It's not my first brush with it, that was back when I was 19 and I remember one doctor telling me to pull my socks up and go and play a game of tennis.
    I've been low in the years since but not like this, Doctors won't give you anything now like they did in the time I was low when every time I went they were throwing anti-depressants at me which I refused. I hit a point a few months ago when I would have happily taken anything they gave me. My Doctor remembers my point black refusal when he tried prescribing them before and told me he wasn't going to give me any as I was stronger than that, not sure if that helps or not.

Supporting Member along-for-the-ride's Avatar
    Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    10:42 AM

Here's a hug for you, Betty.
    Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

anomaly
    Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    08:42 AM

It could be post-partum this time. If you want medical treatment you might convince him that you're strong enough this time as you believe it's connected to child birth.

Otherwise, the best natural battle tools are a really good vitamin B complex therapy and you could try adding vitamin D as that's sometimes the deficiency area.

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    How do you define depression?

How do you snap yourself out of it?

I've been low for quite some time now and seem to be getting more and more upset that I can't snap myself out of it. It's a whole load of stuff going on around me I think, at the moment if it were not for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.

I can sit back and see that I have three lovely children and as some people say that should be enough to make me happy. Right now they are the only reason I get out of bed each day.

If I could have a pound for every time a friend or acquaintance says 'well you look ok', I'd be a rich depressed person instead of a poor one. I think maybe they are of the opinion that because you put on a show of being ok then you must be.
    I don't think you can snap yourself out of it...and I think we make it harder for ourselves when we think we can. And other people's comments are not always helpful because they are not going through the experience with you. In truth there can't be any "shoulds" in depression, these can make you feel worse than you do already. If you're going through a period of depression, then that is how it is..."shoulds" don't help.

Medication isn't for everyone but why not have another chat with your G.P. and see what s/he suggests?

Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    04:42 PM

I would distinguish between clinical depression and just feeling a bit fed up. some people are just miserable.

Depression self-assessment - Health tools - NHS Choices

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    04:42 PM

Please don't think for one minute that I'm making light of depression but Stephen Fry once said that the old wives tale of going for a brisk walk to clear the cobwebs, so to speak, really did work. He insisted that there was a very definite benefit to the very bad "downs" he had with his bi-polar condition and would go for long brisk walks
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
    Winston Churchill

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    Please don't think for one minute that I'm making light of depression but Stephen Fry once said that the old wives tale of going for a brisk walk to clear the cobwebs, so to speak, really did work. He insisted that there was a very definite benefit to the very bad "downs" he had with his bi-polar condition and would go for long brisk walks
    Maybe it's just the male urge to find a solution rather than just sympathise, but it seems to me this has to be worth a try - and you are in a truly great place for brisk walks or slow ambles. And if you just think "No" without really knowing why then I'm certain you should give it a go.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast