Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Beware of the cat

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,489
    Local Date
    11-19-2019
    Local Time
    03:11 PM

    Beware of the cat

    Beware of the cat: Britain's hidden toxoplasma problem - Home News - UK - The Independent

    So the next time my dog tries to ear the neighbours cat to bits should I let it?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    WEST SUSSEX, ENGLAND
    Posts
    31,529
    Local Date
    11-19-2019
    Local Time
    03:11 PM

    Re: Beware of the cat

    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Beware of the cat: Britain's hidden toxoplasma problem - Home News - UK - The Independent

    So the next time my dog tries to ear the neighbours cat to bits should I let it?
    I looked Into this some years ago.... With any parasite, they don't last long outside the body... as the article says, the real risk Is In meat that has not been cooked properly. Most cats are fed tinned or dry food so I think there's much scare-mongering here.

  3. #3
    Watanya Cecilia valerie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    7,090
    Local Date
    11-19-2019
    Local Time
    07:11 AM

    Re: Beware of the cat

    I read that article and I'm very surprised that no mention was made of
    the dangers of pregnant women cleaning cats' litter boxes. As in, they
    shouldn't unless they are VERY careful w/ mask and gloves.

    The other worry is that while Oscar is right as to the food source for most
    cats (not sure about there but here that's the case, too) the problem
    comes when cats aren't kept totally indoors. So, they WILL hunt and kill
    and partially or entirely consume small rodents, lizards, birds etc. There's
    your raw meat, right there.
    Tamsen's Dogster Page
    http://www.dogster.com/?27525


  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    WEST SUSSEX, ENGLAND
    Posts
    31,529
    Local Date
    11-19-2019
    Local Time
    03:11 PM

    Re: Beware of the cat

    Quote Originally Posted by valerie View Post
    I read that article and I'm very surprised that no mention was made of
    the dangers of pregnant women cleaning cats' litter boxes. As in, they
    shouldn't unless they are VERY careful w/ mask and gloves.

    The other worry is that while Oscar is right as to the food source for most
    cats (not sure about there but here that's the case, too) the problem
    comes when cats aren't kept totally indoors. So, they WILL hunt and kill
    and partially or entirely consume small rodents, lizards, birds etc. There's
    your raw meat, right there.
    You're right Valerie... I wasn't thinking of rodents etc... well said and very good point.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kingston-upon-Thames
    Posts
    5,130
    Local Date
    11-19-2019
    Local Time
    03:11 PM

    Re: Beware of the cat

    So the next time my dog tries to ear the neighbours cat to bits should I let it?
    Yes. That's just on general principle: There are waaaay too many round here, and my efforts to encourage wildlife in the garden are simply making it a cat's dinner bowl.

    I'm not sure that a reduction in cat numbers in SW Scotland will affect the little buggers here, but I'm entirely willing to try the experiment.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    WEST SUSSEX, ENGLAND
    Posts
    31,529
    Local Date
    11-19-2019
    Local Time
    03:11 PM

    Re: Beware of the cat

    Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    Yes. That's just on general principle: There are waaaay too many round here, and my efforts to encourage wildlife in the garden are simply making it a cat's dinner bowl.

    I'm not sure that a reduction in cat numbers in SW Scotland will affect the little buggers here, but I'm entirely willing to try the experiment.
    If your being pestered by pesky Moggies In your garden Clodness there are steps you can take that will deter the neighbours cats even thinking about coming Into your garden.

    One, you can plant either Firethorn ( Pyracantha ) or Rose bushes along all sides of your fencing.... both have thorns. Even grow them In pots If you have no soil In your garden.
    Two, you can buy rubber strips and metal ones that you nail to the top of fencing that have spikes on.... I'm told they help.

    Three, borrow my Jack Russell for a few weeks !!!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kingston-upon-Thames
    Posts
    5,130
    Local Date
    11-19-2019
    Local Time
    03:11 PM

    Re: Beware of the cat

    pyrocantha - pretty berries but by god the blossom stinks!

    your other suggestions basically amount to turning my garden into Colditz, which has an appeal (I quite like the towers and searchlight idea) but feel the neighbours might object.

    chuckle. I've also been told lion dung is good but don't fancy the collection issues. Have in fact ended up peppering the main entrance routes at intervals and chucking water. It helps. a bit. I think...
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    WEST SUSSEX, ENGLAND
    Posts
    31,529
    Local Date
    11-19-2019
    Local Time
    03:11 PM

    Re: Beware of the cat

    Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    pyrocantha - pretty berries but by god the blossom stinks!

    your other suggestions basically amount to turning my garden into Colditz, which has an appeal (I quite like the towers and searchlight idea) but feel the neighbours might object.

    chuckle. I've also been told lion dung is good but don't fancy the collection issues. Have in fact ended up peppering the main entrance routes at intervals and chucking water. It helps. a bit. I think...
    Lion Dung I'm told has no effect at all...The strips I mentioned are very unassuming. They are not large metal spikes that make your neighbours think your mad just enough to disable a cat from getting a grip.
    If you don't like the Idea of Pyrocantha, there are other shrubs that grow quickly In pots to form a hedge that stops cats being able to penetrate.
    Lemon and orange peel scattered along the fence helps because they hate citrus.

    Even nice rose bushes planted closley together will form a good barrier.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Beware!
    By hoppy in forum General Chit Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 10:29 AM
  2. Beware Populism
    By QUINNSCOMMENTARY in forum Current Political Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-24-2009, 06:38 PM
  3. Beware
    By Misha in forum Introductions
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 07-01-2006, 02:23 PM
  4. Bothwell Beware!
    By abbey in forum England
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2005, 05:52 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts