Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Laura's week of painting

anomaly
    Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time
    10:16 PM

Re: Laura's week of painting

I had been under the impression this was a fun thread when posted. All of a sudden we're going to judge what kind of grandparent he is?

You can enjoy a child's painting without claiming it to be a work of genius.
    Attributing genius to childish swatches of paint happens all the time in the art world and it's frickin' funny. Anyone who can't keep good humour in this thread should probably not post in it.

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time
    06:16 AM

Quote Originally Posted by koan View Post
    It's not a tangent. It's directly related to the thread topic. Since the OP is not confused about my intent and dry humour I don't see why you would be.

eta: I can't believe anyone would think I posted my "critique" seriously. I just managed to find things that were believable. Too good at my own jokes.
    Two dry people is too many in one thread...................
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time

I had been under the impression this was a fun thread when posted. All of a sudden we're going to judge what kind of grandparent he is?

You can enjoy a child's painting without claiming it to be a work of genius.
    Attributing genius to childish swatches of paint happens all the time in the art world and it's frickin' funny. Anyone who can't keep good humour in this thread should probably not post in it.
    This post was over the page, and I posted before seeing it......funny that ?

anomaly
    Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    This post was over the page, and I posted before seeing it......funny that ?
    hilarious.

Attributing mature intent to a 2 yr old's painting can, indeed, lead to money:

Her featured gallery show is called "Prodigy Of Colour" and, at 4yrs old, she sold a painting for $26 000 called "Asteroid"
    I'm pretty sure she didn't come up with those names.

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time

hilarious.
    You say hilarious but it's the way you say it.......

I think Tyr's on a winner here.......if these paintings are anything to go by, young Laura is worth a fortune.......and Tyr is the guy to manage her.

anomaly
    Local Date
    11-11-2019
    Local Time

You say hilarious but it's the way you say it.......
    Really? Because I thought I put the emphasis on the right syllable.
    I think Tyr's on a winner here.......if these paintings are anything to go by, young Laura is worth a fortune.......and Tyr is the guy to manage her.
    "Prodigy Of Colour" Someone came up with that.

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time

You assume muchly.....

Nurture all you like, without nature you are on a loser.
    My understanding of this, together with that of a lot of people in the UK, was coloured by the politically explosive fraudulent research of Cyril Burt - if you have any good reason for saying that talent derives predominantly from nature rather than nurture I'd be keen to see what it is. To the best of my understanding and education it's certainly not demonstrable other than by non-significant anecdote.

As for "Stand AWAY from that child", in these days of mob hysteria those words are just plain incendiary regardless of whether you're trying to crack a joke or not. I simply can't understand how you could post them. All I've done is to record five paintings constructed by a two year old in my presence and with my encouragement, and I started the thread because I'd done as much for her sister during the summer. I'm baffled that I should be assumed to regard her as talented on the strength of them and I don't. The paintings exist because of the opportunity, not from any pre-existing inbuilt painterly trend within her family or spontaneously within herself. Snowfire's post appears to support what I'm suggesting.

Other people constructing a storyline from the paintings is a separate venture and one which I hope has only just started but they're stories constructed by other people from within their own minds. They're aspects of the paint and the canvas and the brushes and the moment, not inbuilt aspects of Laura's expression. That, to my mind, makes the paintings inherently more interesting than representational art. I think we have an inbuilt pattern-interpreting capacity which demands we make such interpretation. I tend toward trying to enjoy non-representational art without my secondary layer of storytelling on top of it but I doubt whether I'm capable. The stories which manifest themselves from Felicity and Laura's particular combination of paint and canvas and brushes and moments are hard to ignore.

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time

'They are painted as a progression in time'.........of course it's a 'factual statement'.....unless of course she did them ALL at the same time with multiple arms.
    On a point of information, to clarify what the words are there for, the paintings appear in this thread in the same order as they were produced in the studio. Which, on vBulletin software, takes a degree of trial and error on the part of the poster followed by a rigorous application of the experience. I recorded the fact because sequential storytelling, as opposed to interpreting randomly-ordered snapshots, requires a knowledge of the sequence.

Local Date
    11-12-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Týr View Post
    My understanding of this, together with that of a lot of people in the UK, was coloured by the politically explosive fraudulent research of Cyril Burt - if you have any good reason for saying that talent derives predominantly from nature rather than nurture I'd be keen to see what it is. To the best of my understanding and education it's certainly not demonstrable other than by non-significant anecdote.

As for "Stand AWAY from that child", in these days of mob hysteria those words are just plain incendiary regardless of whether you're trying to crack a joke or not. I simply can't understand how you could post them. All I've done is to record five paintings constructed by a two year old in my presence and with my encouragement, and I started the thread because I'd done as much for her sister during the summer. I'm baffled that I should be assumed to regard her as talented on the strength of them and I don't. The paintings exist because of the opportunity, not from any pre-existing inbuilt painterly trend within her family or spontaneously within herself. Snowfire's post appears to support what I'm suggesting.

Other people constructing a storyline from the paintings is a separate venture and one which I hope has only just started but they're stories constructed by other people from within their own minds. They're aspects of the paint and the canvas and the brushes and the moment, not inbuilt aspects of Laura's expression. That, to my mind, makes the paintings inherently more interesting than representational art. I think we have an inbuilt pattern-interpreting capacity which demands we make such interpretation. I tend toward trying to enjoy non-representational art without my secondary layer of storytelling on top of it but I doubt whether I'm capable. The stories which manifest themselves from Felicity and Laura's particular combination of paint and canvas and brushes and moments are hard to ignore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Týr View Post
    On a point of information, to clarify what the words are there for, the paintings appear in this thread in the same order as they were produced in the studio. Which, on vBulletin software, takes a degree of trial and error on the part of the poster followed by a rigorous application of the experience. I recorded the fact because sequential storytelling, as opposed to interpreting randomly-ordered snapshots, requires a knowledge of the sequence.
    I had been under the impression this was a fun thread when posted...................................
    So did I........
    Anyone who can't keep good humour in this thread should probably not post in it.
    Does that include everybody ?

Two dry people is too many in one thread...................
    Perhaps humour without the subtleties of facial expression voice tone are better not attempted on forum, especially when children and elderly men are involved.
    (Spoken with a wry smile, followed by a wink and a nod to any uninterested third party)

Bruv backs out the door........suitably chided and bemused.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3