+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Events in Turkey and Syria

Local Date
    02-23-2020
    Local Time
    09:55 PM

Events in Turkey and Syria

I think that this is a very good rundown on the escalating situation there in Syria.

With Turkey-Syria escalation, worries grow about a tip into war - Yahoo! News

You can add to it the US has set up a base in Jordan to "monitor" the situation with the chemical weapons stockpiles there. There will be an invasion of Syria soon, probably spring of next year. I suspect Turkey will be the chosen entity to invade and possibly a few other NATO entities. If they can't find a reason they'll make one.

Actually I think it may be best for the Syrian people at this point but I am also afraid it will degenerate further into a mess like we had in Iraq.

anomaly
    Local Date
    02-23-2020
    Local Time

Re: Events in Turkey and Syria

It's hard to blame Turkey for taking a stand when the internal war spilled across the border. They have a right to defend their country from attack even if the violence wasn't aimed at them I can see why they take it seriously. The chances of it happening again are quite high. Setting clear boundaries is probably a good idea.

Local Date
    02-23-2020
    Local Time

Hard to blame Turkey? Turkey is the number one reason this war has gone on as long as it has and so much misery is stalking the land of Syria. The terrorists shelter across the Turkish border when the Syrian army comes after them. Most of their supplies come through Turkey, they hide amongst the refugees there and the Turks do nothing about it.

Defend themselves? That recon plane was shot down by an automated AA system from the 1970s. It was so close to the Syrian beaches a soldier probably could have hit it with a rock. The mortars? Just as likely a FSA terrorist group trying to start something as a few stray rounds, I highly doubt that the Syrians took the shots. Any boundary to be set will not be respected by any party there. That was proven with the peace plan, if we're not careful we may just end up with a genocide of the Alawites too. All in the name of freedom though.

anomaly
    Local Date
    02-23-2020
    Local Time

I'd like to know why you are calling the Syrian rebels terrorists. You seem to have done a lot of research. The word "terrorist" has been rendered meaningless over the last decade so I'm interested in knowing how you think it applies to this situation.

Local Date
    02-23-2020
    Local Time

I used the word terrorist in reference to the FSA because it seems fitting IMO. Their acts and tactics such as car bombing and clandestine slaughter of innocents for propaganda purposes are quite enough for me to justify the use of the word. I wouldn't call it meaningless either, it's actually a very effective tool to get peoples attention.

You called them rebels. In reality most of the FSA personnel are mercenaries, there are not a lot of Syrian citizens involved if you look at the big picture. A lot of these Mercs have fought American troops in the past. A popular uprising on a massive scale by the Syrian people would have toppled Assad long ago. Apparently the Syrian army is holding its own so far but it cannot hold out forever without substantial outside support. Support from outside is the only thing that allows the FSA to exist. The Syrian Army would have crushed them long ago.

anomaly
    Local Date
    02-23-2020
    Local Time

One of the first things I watched about the details of the rebellion is an Al Jazeera program featuring some artists who created a show called "Top Goon" who define themselves as revolutionaries. Two of the group's members become more violent once they are in exile and the others become concerned. Perhaps there is a blend between legitimate revolutionaries and those who are being manipulated by outside interests?

Little Dictator - Witness - Al Jazeera English

The Top Goon project certainly does not show terrorists at work.

Local Date
    02-23-2020
    Local Time

Al-jazeera is head quartered in Doha Qatar. The government of is one of the primary sponsors of the FSA. What more needs to be said?

What does a puppet show have to do with what is going on in Syria anyway? People are getting their heads blown to pieces walking down to the bread shop. Children are not getting their educations.

The governments of of Qatar, Turkey, Saudi Arabia couldn't care less.

anomaly
    Local Date
    02-23-2020
    Local Time

Really? The puppet show is a satire about Assad. It is a bunch of artists trying to use non-violent means to protest. That kind of thing doesn't happen where a "terrorist" group has swept in and manufactured discontent. The puppets show is entirely about the discontent of real people for real reasons.

Of course their weapons are crude. They don't have a billion dollar defence budget, how else are they going to get weapons but build them out of crude materials? If a government doesn't shoot down their own citizens while protesting then non-violence is possible. As soon as a government opens fire on protesters they have forced those people taking on new methods. The alternative is for thousands of people to stand hand in hand singing kumbaya while they get slaughtered and breed at an abnormally fast "bunny" rate so they can keep replacing the kumbayaers as they get mowed down. That doesn't seem practical. It's generally hard to get people to go to their slaughter without a chance that at least one of their oppressors will die along with them.

I'm not saying that car bombs are a good thing, I'm just saying that it's a little more complex than what you've said... And Al Jazeera has proven its reputation as a good source. Compared to most large media organizations AJE has a rather stellar reputation, imo.

anomaly
    Local Date
    02-23-2020
    Local Time

Assad's propaganda minister defected and gives some interesting insight.
    Syria's Assad 'plans to escape to Russia' - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

He specifically talks about the spin he was required to put on bombings to make it look like it was terrorism.

Local Date
    02-23-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    He specifically talks about the spin he was required to put on bombings to make it look like it was terrorism.
    He'll say anything he has to in order to save his own arse. He isn't going home any time soon. He was the propaganda minister for christs sake Koan, how can you trust anything he says? Everything is spun on all sides all the time. I couldn't care less what he says.

If you think for a second this is a worthy cause that we're helping these "freedom fighters" in then you have some really distorted information. You really need to get the facts, not watch puppet shows produced to distort facts and distract you from the truth.

They don't have a billion dollar defence budget, how else are they going to get weapons but build them out of crude materials?
    By Saudi Arabia emptying their warehouses is how.The carbombs that have went off weren't crude, they're not easy to make and deliver. RPG rounds are being modified to hit harder and penetrate more armor. All of this comes from experienced personel, experienced over a long period of time. Our "allies" in this religious/civil war are arming Sunni Jihadists, radicals that intend to drag that country into another dark age. Women there are going to be wearing bed sheets not dresses blue jeans and fancy shoes. When the current government falls it won't be over, then the real fight for freedom will start, it will be a repeat of Iraq. ****es and Christians aren't going to win it either. Hell, most Christians are gone or dead already.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast