Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gold Cup

Banned
    Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time
    12:41 AM

The Gold Cup

First of all just to build the excitement.

Cheltenham (Downtown) - YouTube

Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time
    08:41 PM

Re: The Gold Cup

There for a second oscar I thought you were meandering to this side of the pond to observe the yanks in their quest for regional supremacy.

Banned
    Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by K.Snyder View Post
    There for a second oscar I thought you were meandering to this side of the pond to observe the yanks in their quest for regional supremacy.

Although I do observe your Triple Crowns over the pond Kev and our betting Offices In England will take bets for It now....

The Gold Cup Is the very most prestigious of Grade 1 Steeple chasing races over 3 miles 2 and a half furlongs and Incorporates 22 fences run as the highlight of the 4 day festival at Cheltenham in March. Open to Grade 1 horses over 5 years old, and Is the most valuable non-handicap race.

All season, the superstars of Grade 1 have been racing In the most prestigious races such as The Betfair, The Lexus and The King George. Now those champions will all face each other for the final showdown and final accolade.

It seems every big race over the past few months, I seem to be repeating myself when i say It's just too close to call this year and the line up for The Gold Cup Is no different this year. It seems even the handicapper Is having problems deciding their marks.

I have never seen such a regal line up of superstars and I have already booked my tickets In anticipation of seeing these giants of Steeple chasing aristocracy In the parade ring.

Banned
    Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

We're a sentimental bunch us National Hunt devotee's... we follow our favourites around the country like an old slapper hunting down Man U players In a night club and as they get Injured or retire, we mutter words such as ' we'll never ee the like again' .

While we mourn the absence of the likes of Kauto Star, Denman, Imperial Commander, Master Minded, Big Bucks to name a few from the festival, there Is often the case that a few exciting new young pretenders to thrones will emerge on the scene, a few that are so outstanding and breathtaking that all the excitement of seeing them builds again and new fans are won.

This year, I'm not the only one who has been absolutely blown away by some of the performances of superstars In the making and to name some of the most exciting we'll see during the 4 days are:

Darlan
    Simonsig
    Sprinter Sacre
    Sir Des Champs
    Voller La Vadette
    Dynaste
    Taquin Du Seuil.
    Flementstar
    Hurricane Fly
    Zarkander
    Wishful Thinking
    Grand Crus

It just doesn't get any better !!!

Banned
    Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

So The Gold Cup field... It appears the Handicapper has had a job marking this filed also.

First, the bookies favourite although I feel this may change as the big money starts to go on other entrants. Long Run was performing at 170/180 but has been awarded 172 after the handicapper believed without the two serious blunders In The King George, he would have won a lot easier... for me, I don't think his jumping will ever Improve enough . I've always believed his success's have been down to his cruising speeds and luck. Typical of French horses who are trained over lower fences, he needs to Improve the jumping to compete against some of the others here. At this stage, again, I would absolutely rule him out for me.

Captain Chris has been upped from 162 to 169 after his close second In The King George.

The King George was the test for Grand Crus after his breathing operation following two very dissapointing outings In the RSA and the Betfred. Finishing 3 rd actually looked the best horse of the race until I suspect the mud on the course just slowed him down. On better, firmer ground at Cheltenham, I would rate him highly after his staying performance In the King George.He stays at a mark of 157

Silviniaco Conti winner of The Betfair Chase on heavy going Is another who should be quicker on firmer ground. He's also rated 172

Tidal Bay at 171 after finishing 2nd In The Hennessy Gold Cup at Newbury on heavy ground ran the race of his life to win The Lexus Chase this week. He remains at 171.

First Lieutenant after a close 2nd to Tidal Bay In The Lexus is marked 170

Flemenstar after his win In The John Durkan Chase at Punchestown Is marked 169

Sir Des Champs see's a big Improvement from 162 to 169

Bobs Worth Is at 171 after winning The Hennessy Gold Cup

On the day, whatever happens, there's only going to be 3 to 4 lbs between them and I can't see the weights making huge differences. I think It'll be more down to the fitness of the horses and the condition of the ground.

Banned
    Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

There's a possibility Dynaste could be a late contender... If that's the case, he may well be my choice..

Bobs Worth3
    Sir Des Champs6
    Silviniaco Conti13/2
    Long Run7
    Flemenstar10
    Tidal Bay10
    First Lieutenant10

Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time

Here's our lineup...

United States
    Mexico
    Canada
    Cuba
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Haiti
    Martinique

More TBD...

Banned
    Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by K.Snyder View Post
    Here's our lineup...

United States
    Mexico
    Canada
    Cuba
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Haiti
    Martinique

More TBD...
    Got any betting prices?

Banned
    Local Date
    02-19-2020
    Local Time

The bookies are offering 16/1 for Dynaste should he run for the Gold Cup.

I have to say that along with Darlan, Sprinter Sacre and Sir Des Champs this is one of the most exciting Novice's I've seen In many year and a horse that Is just sheer class.

The question Is, will David Pipe risk the 6 year old facing the likes of Bobs Worth In the Gold Cup or send him straight to the RSA Chase this year? Anti-post betting see's Dynaste the clear favourite for the RSA at 5/2 ....... either way...... good each way bet for the Gold Cup or a certain winner of the RSA.... my money will be on him.

Dynaste In the Kauto Star Novices Chase

2012 Kauto Star Feltham Novices' Chase - Dynaste - YouTube

Local Date
    02-18-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    Got any betting prices?
    If I were one to bet on teams that I support I would place all of my money on the U.S., but that's because I feel their odds are the best relative to a return on investment. Mexico is obviously the favorite but not enough of one to place de money on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast