Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Hitler Gun Control Lie

Premium Member
    Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time
    07:02 AM

The Hitler Gun Control Lie

University of Chicago law professor Bernard Harcourt explored this myth in depth in a 2004 article published in the Fordham Law Review. As it turns out, the Weimar Republic, the German government that immediately preceded Hitler’s, actually had tougher gun laws than the Nazi regime. After its defeat in World War I, and agreeing to the harsh surrender terms laid out in the Treaty of Versailles, the German legislature in 1919 passed a law that effectively banned all private firearm possession, leading the government to confiscate guns already in circulation. In 1928, the Reichstag relaxed the regulation a bit, but put in place a strict registration regime that required citizens to acquire separate permits to own guns, sell them or carry them.
    The 1938 law signed by Hitler that LaPierre mentions in his book basically does the opposite of what he says it did. “The 1938 revisions completely deregulated the acquisition and transfer of rifles and shotguns, as well as ammunition,” Harcourt wrote. Meanwhile, many more categories of people, including Nazi party members, were exempted from gun ownership regulations altogether, while the legal age of purchase was lowered from 20 to 18, and permit lengths were extended from one year to three years.
    The Hitler gun control lie - Salon.com
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time
    12:02 PM

Re: The Hitler Gun Control Lie

Having just lost millions in a world war would you have wanted the German people to be heavily armed.

How about, it's a bit disingenuous of the gun lobby to defend a citizens rights to be armed while at the same time backing the US government as it prevents other nation states from getting the weapons it needs to defend it's citizens. Or does that go down like a lead balloon?

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Having just lost millions in a world war would you have wanted the German people to be heavily armed.

How about, it's a bit disingenuous of the gun lobby to defend a citizens rights to be armed while at the same time backing the US government as it prevents other nation states from getting the weapons it needs to defend it's citizens.
    Agreed.

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time
    05:02 AM

I think there are too many Hitler gun threads.

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Accountable View Post
    Agreed.
    I'm in shock.

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    I'm in shock.
    Why? Have I ever shown myself to be inconsistent on such things? I'd love to see the proof. I suspect it's more you applying your stereotypes to me.

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Accountable View Post
    Why? Have I ever shown myself to be inconsistent on such things? I'd love to see the proof. I suspect it's more you applying your stereotypes to me.
    Just kidding, usually we seem to be on opposite sides of a debate. . I was half expecting someone to jumo in with you are just anti-american type of reposte.

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time
    06:02 AM

Aren't these considered redundant posts?

Disclaimer: Due to recent attacks by friendly members of this forum, this disclaimer is needed. The above statement was made by me and cannot be verified as true with wiki link, video, scientific study, personal verification, multiple witnesses or actual verbal communication. It is in fact an observation or an experienced opinion gathered over time and presented as a point of discussion.

In light of that, treat the statement as completely false, full of hidden political overtones, stabs at sexism, racism, bigotry, religious fanaticism, conservatism, marxism, nazisim, liberalism, fascism, utopianism, pantysinabindism, gonnatakealeakism, and general don'tknowwhatthehellI'mtalkingaboutism.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by halfway View Post
    Aren't these considered redundant posts?

Disclaimer: Due to recent attacks by friendly members of this forum, this disclaimer is needed. The above statement was made by me and cannot be verified as true with wiki link, video, scientific study, personal verification, multiple witnesses or actual verbal communication. It is in fact an observation or an experienced opinion gathered over time and presented as a point of discussion.

In light of that, treat the statement as completely false, full of hidden political overtones, stabs at sexism, racism, bigotry, religious fanaticism, conservatism, marxism, nazisim, liberalism, fascism, utopianism, pantysinabindism, gonnatakealeakism, and general don'tknowwhatthehellI'mtalkingaboutism.
    No rebuttal or verification to the article? I figured you would since you're an academic historian. I thought this was a perfect opportunity for the rest of us to be taught something. That's what you do, right? Teach?
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    02-24-2020
    Local Time
    06:02 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Why do we need another hitler gun thread?

In light of that, treat the statement as completely false, full of hidden political overtones, stabs at sexism, racism, bigotry, religious fanaticism, conservatism, marxism, nazisim, liberalism, fascism, utopianism, pantysinabindism, gonnatakealeakism, and general don'tknowwhatthehellI'mtalkingabou

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast