Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Company is coming ... quick ... what do we do with them?

Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time
    01:09 PM

Company is coming ... quick ... what do we do with them?

Today was one of those pleasant days where the hours wended their way through with hardly a snafu at all ... very pleasant, easy and very fun. I wish there were more of those! It started out with a beautiful weather forecast which lived up to its promise ... sunny and in the upper 60sF. After 3 weeks of below freezing temps, this was impossible to ignore and begged a day outside. A friend from where I used to work came out to spend the day and have lunch in town then we drove a little ways to Willis Mountain which is just a small mountain but the first you come to as you near the Blue Ridge coming from the Piedmont. Actually as mountains go it's pretty tiny but as it's the first, it has a merit of its own! I didn't take any photos because everything is so gray & brown outside now that it wouldn't have done it justice but I did find this online ~~~~~> Panoramio - Photo of Willis Mountain from Plank Rd

When I've had friends visit from out of state or from out of the country, the Blue Ridge are always a great place to take them for an excursion.

My question is, if someone were to visit you for a day or two only, where would you like to take them locally to spend a day? One place all day? Two quick visits? An area of natural beauty? Or do you have a local museum you'd like to show off?

And yes, I know it would depend on the person who was visiting but my question is really just a kick off to get you talking about what you like about the area you live in ... surely there's something!

Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time
    06:09 PM

Re: Company is coming ... quick ... what do we do with them?

Quote Originally Posted by tabby View Post
    Today was one of those pleasant days where the hours wended their way through with hardly a snafu at all ... very pleasant, easy and very fun. I wish there were more of those! It started out with a beautiful weather forecast which lived up to its promise ... sunny and in the upper 60sF. After 3 weeks of below freezing temps, this was impossible to ignore and begged a day outside. A friend from where I used to work came out to spend the day and have lunch in town then we drove a little ways to Willis Mountain which is just a small mountain but the first you come to as you near the Blue Ridge coming from the Piedmont. Actually as mountains go it's pretty tiny but as it's the first, it has a merit of its own! I didn't take any photos because everything is so gray & brown outside now that it wouldn't have done it justice but I did find this online ~~~~~> Panoramio - Photo of Willis Mountain from Plank Rd

When I've had friends visit from out of state or from out of the country, the Blue Ridge are always a great place to take them for an excursion.

My question is, if someone were to visit you for a day or two only, where would you like to take them locally to spend a day? One place all day? Two quick visits? An area of natural beauty? Or do you have a local museum you'd like to show off?

And yes, I know it would depend on the person who was visiting but my question is really just a kick off to get you talking about what you like about the area you live in ... surely there's something!
    Interesting question.

The first reaction is a walk out to Bradgate Park to climb Old John :-

Bradgate Park - Bradgate Park and Swithland Wood Country Park

which would be a pleasant day out in an area of natural beauty.

Had we a little longer it would have to be down to the boat for a trip on the river - trouble is we'd never get them to go home :-)

Supporting Member along-for-the-ride's Avatar
    Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time
    12:09 PM

Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time
    07:09 PM

My flat almost turned into a hostel a few years back, with people visiting all the time, and I found that most people enjoy spending a nice relaxed day somewhere, seeing or doing one thing, without rushing it, with a bit of time for a nice meal, and good coffee, and a few drinks, rather than running around trying to see all the sites.
    Minxing the world! @ Nothing Exchange

Premium Member
    Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time
    12:09 PM

Go to the mall?

Seriously, I laugh when I see bus loads of people, mostly senior citizens, transported from surrounding states and counties in order to shop and eat here.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    Interesting question.

The first reaction is a walk out to Bradgate Park to climb Old John :-

Bradgate Park - Bradgate Park and Swithland Wood Country Park

which would be a pleasant day out in an area of natural beauty.

Had we a little longer it would have to be down to the boat for a trip on the river - trouble is we'd never get them to go home :-)
    Beautiful!! That park would be hard for me to leave at closing time. A warm & sunny day to tramp around at leisure ... perfect! My sweet tooth would mandate a visit to the tearoom. The photo of the various cakes displayed got me ...

Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by along-for-the-ride View Post
    AFTR, is the Bonaventure Cemetery the one in the book & movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil"?

Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Fiend View Post
    My flat almost turned into a hostel a few years back, with people visiting all the time, and I found that most people enjoy spending a nice relaxed day somewhere, seeing or doing one thing, without rushing it, with a bit of time for a nice meal, and good coffee, and a few drinks, rather than running around trying to see all the sites.
    I agree, trying to fit too much into one day can be exhausting!

Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Go to the mall?

Seriously, I laugh when I see bus loads of people, mostly senior citizens, transported from surrounding states and counties in order to shop and eat here.
    I'm not much of a shopper, Ahso so I know where you're coming from! Say the word "outlet" and you've got a busload of people in no time! I'm not even sure it matters what it's an outlet for ... I guess the word alone implies fun & bargains to the devoted.

Local Date
    05-28-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Go to the mall?

I used to visit your area a lot, but have not been there in many years. I guess it gets very crowded now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast