Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "The more civilized we become, the less individual liberties we get to keep."

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    12:40 PM

"The more civilized we become, the less individual liberties we get to keep."

This was a quote from a member of another forum. He actually wrote it with an air of "of course, so what?"

What say you?

**I'd like to add a poll, but that option is apparently gone. **

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    10:40 AM

Re: "The more civilized we become, the less individual liberties we get to keep."

He sounds like a pompous ass that assumes he shouldn't be questioned due to his much higher intelligence. Does he have anything to back up his claim?

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    06:40 PM

Re: "The more civilized we become, the less individual liberties we get to keep."

I think that is what so many of my threads have tried to say.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by SnoozeAgain View Post
    He sounds like a pompous ass that assumes he shouldn't be questioned due to his much higher intelligence. Does he have anything to back up his claim?
    Not pompous, really, but he really think that it's the natural way of things, and he considers it progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    I think that is what so many of my threads have tried to say.
    So do you see it as a good thing or bad thing? Is it really progress when we lose liberty?

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Certain liberties are sacrosanct, but unfortunately as we all live closer physically as people, sharing the same resources, some liberties are sacrificed purely to co-exist peacefully, it is called good manners or common sense.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    Certain liberties are sacrosanct, but unfortunately as we all live closer physically as people, sharing the same resources, some liberties are sacrificed purely to co-exist peacefully, it is called good manners or common sense.
    What liberties are sacrosanct? I'm not coming up with any, considering current trends.
    While some liberties may be sacrificed in the name of good manners, others are swept aside in the name of security - meaning the invasive, unnecessary, and ineffective groping by federal officials one must submit to before flying on a commercial airliner.

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Accountable View Post

This was a quote from a member of another forum. He actually wrote it with an air of "of course, so what?"

What say you?

**I'd like to add a poll, but that option is apparently gone. **
    Bollocks!

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    05:40 PM

I'm reminded of Viktor Frankl's book, Man's Search for Meaning; whatever the circumstances, we are free to choose the attitude we adopt. For me, this is the ultimate liberty that can never be taken away from us.
    Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    10:40 AM

I have spent my whole life searching for meaning. There isn't any meaning hanging out there waiting to be spoon fed to us. We create our own meaning.. have to eat it, and then live with it.

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by weeder View Post
    I have spent my whole life searching for meaning. There isn't any meaning hanging out there waiting to be spoon fed to us. We create our own meaning.. have to eat it, and then live with it.
    Hello there, Welcome back!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast