+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Odd That We Call Them Aliens.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    09:02 AM

Re: Odd That We Call Them Aliens.

I wrote this a while ago, detailing my run-in with that big UFO. It was off the War highway near El Paso. (Very desolate area.)

In the Air Force, one of the duties required of all pilots is to spend a week (on a rotating basis) doing what is called "alert duty". During that time, you are required to be in your flight suit and be prepared to fly at a moment's notice. You can travel around the base, but most of us chose to stay at the "alert shack" which was a small building at the end of the runway. It was quite comfortable, outfitted with a foosball table, a couple of pool tables, a big screen TV, and tables for cards, etc. The other room held bunks and toilet facilities. It was generally a boring duty. But twice a week, we would run a "scramble" alert.

In "Scramble" alert, all the pilots would rush out of the building to the planes which were parked just outside. The aircrews would already have the planes started by then, and you would just jump into the cockpit and takeoff nose-to-tail, seeing how fast you could get off the ground.

Usually, 99% of the time, you would just fly afterburners-on to a given coordinate, then be told it was an exercise and fly back home. We usually liked that because in the absence of a given mission, we could have practice dogfights on the way home or engage in other non-permitted behavior such as flying low to the ground with transponders turned off.

Occasionally, you'd have to identify an unidentified aircraft, which usually turned out to be a stupid smuggler or an off-course civilian. They were always more than happy to comply with instructions when surrounded by fighter aircraft. (We intentionally flew VERY close to them to make them even more nervous.)

Then there were the other times...

I've come screaming up on many "UFO's" at closure speeds of up to 880 kias before. I've seen them all, silver ones, bright lights that hang in the air, and even spinning cylinders with lots of details and no kind of flight surfaces at all. Most of them fell into the 'Mexican Air Force" category which was a spinning silver plate, just like the one that flew through the Mexican Air Force's flight show a couple of years ago. But the most impressive, by far, was the HUGE black ship that hovered over the mountains off the War Highway near El Paso Texas.

I was flying that day as Whiskey 2 and my formation leader was Whiskey 1. It was just about dusk, but there was still plenty of light. The UFO was hovering about 2000 ft. AGL. (Above Ground Level.) It was sitting in the lee and shadow of a small range of mountains and was hard to see from a distance. As we came up on it, though, I could see that it was jet black all over its top and featureless. It looked like a giant black Frisbee. It was the size of a small city, easily over ten miles in diameter. What really got my attention, though, was the underbelly, which was very visible from our position at a slightly lower altitude.

The entire bottom of the object was open, and a bright red light was suffusing from it. As I watched, other smaller red lights detached themselves from the object and traveled slowly to the ground. There, they joined many other small red lights moving around on ground level.

We closed at over the speed of sound, chattering to each other over the mics.
    "Whiskey 1, I have a bogey in sight, and what a bogey it is too! Do you confirm? Over."
    "Uh, yeah, Whiskey 2, I'm seein' it, but I'm not believin' it. Request instructions from AREACON, Continue...ummm.... closing with bogey."
    "Roger, Whiskey 1, I'm closin', but I'm not lovin' it. Sierra Hotel.... that thing is HUGE!"

Suddenly, as our DME (Distance Measured Equivalent) closed to 15 miles, all the red lights on the ground lifted off and streaked to the underside of the Gigantic Black Frisbee. In just four seconds, the Black Frisbee took off straight up at what had to be a 100G-climb rate. (Far beyond human endurance or the abilities of any known aircraft) The bogey shot off so fast we could hear the booming - thunder sound of air falling into the vacuum it made plowing through the atmosphere. In seconds it was gone.

"DAMN! Whiskey 1, did you see that? Where did it go?"
    "Affirmative, Whiskey 2, the bogey took off like the space shuttle, I have no joy, can you see it?"
    'Negative Whiskey 1, it's in the twilight zone!"
    "Roger that, Whiskey 2, RTB (Return To Base) and chalk up another UFO with negative contact."

That was pretty much how it went of most of the time. Since I’ve been a civilian, I’ve seen a UFO again, but that’s another story.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

To answer the original question, we would only be correct to call them aliens if they are here, where we live.
    If we are there, where they live, of course, they would probably call us aliens.

I know that on one trip to China, I was told I could not go in a certain area, because no aliens were allowed there. I had never thought of myself as an alien before that.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    10:02 AM

I never thought of myself as an alien until I was stationed in Utah ... and that after having lived on two other continents!

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    05:02 PM

The universe....just as we know it is way too large to hold only us humans...or earthlings as JJ says.

I believe there is life out there...The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space. by Carl Sagan

in reply to the questions of what would aliens call us....I think of the movie 5th Element and how Milla Jovovich (the actress) after watching the back log of film depicting our past endeavors or war and killing ....and would agree with JJ.

We must appear as War-mongering idiots

Banned
    Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    03:02 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Accountable View Post
    I never thought of myself as an alien until I was stationed in Utah ... and that after having lived on two other continents!
    I know the feeling... I feel like that when I go North of the Watford Gap.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Accountable View Post
    I got that same feeling when we lived in Arkansas.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Premium Member
    Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    11:02 AM

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    I got that same feeling when we lived in Arkansas.
    Arizona for me.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

jones jones,

the person you keep quoting and responding to is a very bitter and unpleasant person. It comes through in each of his posts. He has nothing better top do than spew venom, attack, and criticize. He is, as I said...unpleasant.

Please do not quote him as it renders the "ignore" feature useless against his drivel.

Another suggestion is to "ignore" him. Life is too short to spend on cancerous, unpleasant, and disingenuous creatures.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    04:02 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    On Star Trek, one species of alien called us " ugly bags of mostly water "

Describes wonderfully, a couple of members here
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
    Winston Churchill

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3