Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What do you pay for your Health Insurance?

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time
    08:36 AM

Re: What do you pay for your Health Insurance?

I'm self-employed and buy health insurance through my one person company. It costs me about $750 per month, but it is a deductible expense as long as I show a profit.

Local Date
    08-22-2019
    Local Time
    05:36 AM

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    I pay around 400/month for our insurance through work.
    It is very good coverage.
    When I had the DVT and Pulmonary Thrombosis, the total out of pocket for me was around 500.

when I fell off the horse and was unconscious for three days, my total out of pocket was around 750.
    I think the extra 250 was for the mountain rescue crew to come retrieve me.
    I would suspect that your employer pays something in addition to the $400 monthly that you pay.
    Not so?

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time
    10:36 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I would suspect that your employer pays something in addition to the $400 monthly that you pay.
    Not so?
    Yes, they do.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    08-22-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    Doesnt sound to me like Lon is describing any type of sheltered housing I've ever heard of. If I'd paid in what Lon had over the years,I'd want what Lons describing. Our NHS doesnt allow our provide, understandably, for that kind of well presented luxury. I suspect its quite rare to opt to pay for private health in the UK, to the receive what Lon has
    Definitely not sheltered housing. We own our homes (majority without a mortgage) and operate more like a Country Club. There are no medical facilities on site, but within close proximity to our facility there are two hospitals, doctors, dentists, nursing homes.

This is my home in the over 55 Retirement Community in which I live.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	John Henry.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	38223  

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time
    12:36 PM

I am a Canadian citizen living in the province of Ontario. I do not pay for my OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan).

I had cataracts removed from my eyes three years ago. I figured the cost of the operations was about $6000, from what I learned from Google. My out of pocket cost was about $100, for a regimen of three different eye drops I had to use for about a month after the surgeries.

I know your question was directed at US citizens, but I thought I'd report my situation, FWIW.

(btw, I'm 55 and my vision has NEVER been as good as it is now. I no longer have a corrective lens restriction on my driver's license, and I can read most fine print without reading glasses.)

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time
    05:36 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    Doesnt sound to me like Lon is describing any type of sheltered housing I've ever heard of. If I'd paid in what Lon had over the years,I'd want what Lons describing. Our NHS doesnt allow our provide, understandably, for that kind of well presented luxury. I suspect its quite rare to opt to pay for private health in the UK, to the receive what Lon has
    No it's not it was simply the closest I could think of. You do get private retirement complexes where people actually own the houses but they are pretty expensive.

My wife had an artificial lens after cataract removal as well the other one will need done as well. turns out she has a family history - her mother has had both cataracts removed and replaced.

What happens if you don't have any insurance? Do you really just get left to suffer? That is the impression you get from most american TV programmes.

With the best will in the world you can find yourself unemployed and struggling financially in no time flat. Most people in this country are within three months of being unable to meet mortgage/rent payments if they lose their jobs or if you're self employed business takes a nosedive. The number of repossessions has rocketed and there is not enough social housing to house them all. People who are long term sick have usually lost their jobs as a result. One thing you don't have to worry about is medical costs.

Local Date
    08-22-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2