Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Review - Samsung Galaxy Ace (GT-S5830i, 832MHz)

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time
    05:31 PM

Re: Review - Samsung Galaxy Ace (GT-S5830i, 832MHz)

For signatures? I'd thought phone-attached credit card readers relied on a PIN. I've never had one, only seen the adverts in a bank.

The Note is what I had in mind when I went searching. What I got was what seemed right this month, the market changes so quickly. I was pleased it arrived in 7 days, UPS, with all the taxes prepaid. It wasn't particularly cheap - $430 delivered. It's still cheaper than signing up to a 24 month service contract though.
    Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!

Premium Member
    Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time
    11:31 AM

Yes, signatures. I don't know about others but I use square reader which requires a signature. It's a good thing these phones do as much as they do with the price we pay for them.

I like larger displays and the fact that the microphone is closer to my mouth with larger phones.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time
    08:31 AM

I'm not a fan of the larger phones, mostly because I clip it to my belt sideways. My new phone is an HTC One. I rooted it, but am using the stock Sense ROM (for now).

Premium Member
    Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time
    11:31 AM

My Note 2 is a weight in my pocket for sure, especially with the Otterbox Defender I have the phone encased in. That's something I tolerate to get what I want. The larger display is great for GPS as well as watching videos and surfing the internet.

Note: do people say "surfing the internet" anymore?
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time
    08:31 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    My Note 2 is a weight in my pocket for sure, especially with the Otterbox Defender I have the phone encased in. That's something I tolerate to get what I want. The larger display is great for GPS as well as watching videos and surfing the internet.

Note: do people say "surfing the internet" anymore?
    I work at home (or on the road), so the only time I'm away from my computers is when I am out to lunch or at a meeting. Both my around town and wandrin vehicles have large screen GPS systems. So, I mostly use my phone for calls, calendar, and restaurant ratings or for killing time at the doctor's office. It is my backup internet connection when wandrin though. It is amazing how many seemingly remote campgrounds are within cell data range.

I like the Otterbox. I use something similar from Seido to protect the phone and snap into my belt clip.

re Note: I still hear people say "surfing the internet" but maybe that's because I don't live very far from the coast.

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time
    10:31 AM

I had this phone for almost two years. It was hard to keep the apps updated on it due to the low storage it comes with. Back in September this year, I installed CyanogenMod 11.0 to it (yes, the AndroidARMv6 team ported 4.4.4 KitKat to an old device with the BCM21553 processor, old ports were for MSM7227 devices only) but for some reason, it's faster for the first 10 minutes after the install. Then the delay in calls bug triggers, which according to the devs at XDA, it's something that can't be solved since the phone doesn't have the ARMv7 hardware to run it properly.

Had to switch to a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini VE (GT-I8200L) because it was being harder and harder to even use my old SGA (GT-S5830M) as a daily driver.

Administrator
    Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time
    04:31 PM

I think I installed at most three or four apps, when I was running mine. Loading it beyond that did made a noticeable difference to the responsiveness. Leaving it in much the same state as it came out of the factory and it just kept on working. It still is, a friend of a friend has it now and it's still the way it was. The Ace was a well-made phone at a startlingly low price.

|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes a day to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

Your satisfactory is our goals

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time
    05:31 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    My HTC has become unusable of late and the cheapest solution was for me to purchase a Chinese smart phone (£95.00). Cubot S222 with a 5.5 inch screen. So far its behaving itself, although not quite as intuitive as the htc and samsungs in the family.

Good value methinks for a stopgap.
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
    Winston Churchill

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2