Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Let the looting begin

Premium Member
    Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    10:44 AM

Re: Let the looting begin

Conservatives are fretting about angry black mobs and Florida law enforcement is preparing for the worst. Is any of this necessary?
    So why all the fear of angry black mobs? In a recent Time column, Marc W. Polite notes that the last major race riot was in Los Angeles two decades ago, and African Americans have reacted peacefully to several recent racially charged verdicts, including the acquittal of the policeman who killed Sean Bell, a New York City man who was shot by cops while leaving his bachelor party. There have been more instances of nonviolent reactions to divisive trials than violent ones. And yet, when it comes to blacks and criminal justice, the riot question remains. That it keeps getting asked without any actual evidence that a riot will occur might say more about the biases and fears of the people asking than it does about African Americans.
    Darnell Hunt, a sociologist and the director of the University of California-Los Angeles' Ralph J. Bunche Center for African American Studies, says it's no surprise that certain people who "believe in the legitimacy of the system" are afraid of the actions of people who may believe the system has failed them. "It's a theme that emerges whenever there's a highly charged event that resonates with racial conflict and racial concern," Hunt notes. "I'm not surprised that folks who are attempting to sort of sensationalize what's going on right now would raise that particular trope again."
    Zimmerman Verdict: Why Is the Right Worried About Race Riots? | Mother Jones
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

I realize I wasn't accurately responding to OP. Sorry about that. But the fact is, Accountable, etc. if a Pussy with a Gun wasn't out that night, (because without his gun he would have been too scared to be out, all alone in the dark) a boy going home, minding his own business, wouldn't have been shot dead & there would have been no need for this OP at all.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

excellent article, Ahso! Good counter points.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    07:44 AM

So it's better to be politically correct, not prepare and be wrong than to assume the worst and be prepared?

I think not. I don't care what color skin a person has, expecting the worst is usually the safest course.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by SnoozeAgain View Post
    So it's better to be politically correct, not prepare and be wrong than to assume the worst and be prepared?

I think not. I don't care what color skin a person has, expecting the worst is usually the safest course.
    I suppose you're responding to my post? I have no problem with preparedness, what I think the point in the MoJo articles is, is to not assume to the point of working up a frenzy along racial lines, which is what this thread seeks to do by parroting the paranoid right.
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Premium Member
    Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Scrat View Post
    I think the authorities should be ready for anything, up to and including massive rioting. I remember the Rodney King incident and the behavior that came with that. I also think the African American community has serious problems in their culture. Have a look at this.

Trayvon Martin & ***** Riots - YouTube

I have nothing against smelling the coffee. I think TD is being a realist.
    This post says more about you than it does about anything else in this thread.
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

I also see nothing wrong in police preparedness. They should always be prepared anyway. Even Rev. Al Sharpton understands this & for a few days now has been calling for cool heads to always prevail in this or any situation. It's an expectation though, as the MoJo article expresses that will IMO, be wrong & I hope Zimmerman gets the manslaughter, not the murder, verdict. If acquitted, violence, IMO, is not a certainty.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    07:44 AM

I'm not sure if looting is a certainty, but Zimmerman better keep his head down if he walks.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by SnoozeAgain View Post
    I'm not sure if looting is a certainty, but Zimmerman better keep his head down if he walks.
    I'm sure he'll leave town, Snooze & he also holds a Peruvian passport. Maybe he is now in disguise & if he is acquitted he will take off his fat suit.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    03:44 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    We have another 2731 posts before we exceed SF's post count on this.

Some are coherant.....................but not many (Not that I have read more than........2 or 3)
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast