Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15
Results 141 to 149 of 149

Thread: Was Primordial man Conscious as we are conscious?

  1. #141
    Senior Member Mickiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Warren, Michigan
    Posts
    4,315
    Local Date
    09-14-2019
    Local Time
    10:39 PM

    Re: Was Primordial man Conscious as we are conscious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    I really don't know how to define consciousness. Awareness is a common accepted answer that I agree with. I think consciousness is life with purpose. Its the uncanny miracle of thought.
    God is a conscious being. In him is life and that is the gift he gave humanity. He has reproduced life and made us conscious.

  2. #142
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gabriola Island BC
    Posts
    5,653
    Local Date
    09-14-2019
    Local Time
    10:39 PM

    Re: Was Primordial man Conscious as we are conscious?

    Why do orcas support dying whals in the death an dying process by staying with them until They have died The same with elephants.

  3. #143
    Senior Member Mickiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Warren, Michigan
    Posts
    4,315
    Local Date
    09-14-2019
    Local Time
    10:39 PM

    Re: Was Primordial man Conscious as we are conscious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Why do orcas support dying whals in the death an dying process by staying with them until They have died The same with elephants.
    Preprogrammed life to its full wonder.

  4. #144
    Senior Member FourPart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,253
    Local Date
    09-15-2019
    Local Time
    06:39 AM

    Re: Was Primordial man Conscious as we are conscious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    Preprogrammed life to its full wonder.
    Perhaps that's just it. Conciousness is preprogrammed as part of the existence of life, and as all life has a common ancestor there is no reason to believe that all life doesn't posess some degree of conciousness. After all, it has been proven that plants communicate with others to warn of predators. Animals give out warning signs to others in their groups, thus working toward the common good. For instance, when a rabbit encounters danger it thumps its foot on the ground. There is no possible selfish reason for it to do this, as it's not going to benefit him in any way. It merely warns others. An instinctive conciousness of the group. To what degree of conciousness there is is an entirely different matter. At what point do you define something as being self aware? As previously demonstrated, Koko the gorilla communicated through sign language & would refer to herself in the 1st party and others in the 2nd & 3rd parties. There is no doubt that this is definitely conciousness of self awareness, but then comes the question of asking the bigger question of where we came from. Is that a matter of self awareness, or is it simply that they don't care?

  5. #145
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gabriola Island BC
    Posts
    5,653
    Local Date
    09-14-2019
    Local Time
    10:39 PM

    Re: Was Primordial man Conscious as we are conscious?

    FourPart excellent Questions.

  6. #146
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gabriola Island BC
    Posts
    5,653
    Local Date
    09-14-2019
    Local Time
    10:39 PM

    Re: Was Primordial man Conscious as we are conscious?

    It seems to me that the animal kingdom may be smarter then we care to admit.

  7. #147
    Senior Member Mickiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Warren, Michigan
    Posts
    4,315
    Local Date
    09-14-2019
    Local Time
    10:39 PM

    Re: Was Primordial man Conscious as we are conscious?

    Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    Perhaps that's just it. Conciousness is preprogrammed as part of the existence of life, and as all life has a common ancestor there is no reason to believe that all life doesn't posess some degree of conciousness. After all, it has been proven that plants communicate with others to warn of predators. Animals give out warning signs to others in their groups, thus working toward the common good. For instance, when a rabbit encounters danger it thumps its foot on the ground. There is no possible selfish reason for it to do this, as it's not going to benefit him in any way. It merely warns others. An instinctive conciousness of the group. To what degree of conciousness there is is an entirely different matter. At what point do you define something as being self aware? As previously demonstrated, Koko the gorilla communicated through sign language & would refer to herself in the 1st party and others in the 2nd & 3rd parties. There is no doubt that this is definitely conciousness of self awareness, but then comes the question of asking the bigger question of where we came from. Is that a matter of self awareness, or is it simply that they don't care?
    Trees communicate with each other as well. A strong case for consciousness can be made all over nature and I admit to that, it cannot be ignored. But can it be explained?

  8. #148
    Senior Member Mickiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Warren, Michigan
    Posts
    4,315
    Local Date
    09-14-2019
    Local Time
    10:39 PM

    Re: Was Primordial man Conscious as we are conscious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    Trees communicate with each other as well. A strong case for consciousness can be made all over nature and I admit to that, it cannot be ignored. But can it be explained?
    Those trees were here before man, they emerged first but didn't speak first. A lot of things we see now came from the mind of man. Logic drives everything but not all physical laws. Explaining everything can get mechanical and complicated, you can't reduce everything.

  9. #149
    Senior Member Mickiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Warren, Michigan
    Posts
    4,315
    Local Date
    09-14-2019
    Local Time
    10:39 PM

    Re: Was Primordial man Conscious as we are conscious?

    Register to remove this ad.
    Then we have "Causation": if we now have strong emergence, well the problem is what caused that? At the end of the day what jumps have we made? Do we jump over biology? Micro-physics? What over explanation will we have?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Similar Threads

  1. Can we learn to be critically self-conscious?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2009, 10:09 AM
  2. Conscious Reasoning
    By coberst in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-26-2007, 01:15 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts