Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Destruction of Dresden.

Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time
    03:42 AM

Re: The Destruction of Dresden.

Quote Originally Posted by jones jones View Post
    The U2 attacks on London were mostly a series of hit and miss with more misses than hits ... Dresden was saturation bombing ...
    I believe the attacks were V-1 and later V-2 bombs.
    V-1 was an unguided jet-powered bomb that was launched from France. It basically flew until it ran out of fuel, and crashed.
    The V-2 was Rocket powered. The first attempt at ICBM. They were few, and basically a last-gasp by the Nazis to scare the allies into giving up.
    (Though there is little doubt that had the Nazis actually succeeded in developing a nuclear Fission bomb, the V-2 would have been the preferred method of delivery.)

Most of the actually destruction in the UK was caused by Luftwaffe bomber attacks.

Why the Allies decided to go for civilian attacks on cities like Dresden so late in the war has been a question left unanswered for more than half a century.
    I don't believe it was simple revenge for the London bombings.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time
    10:42 AM

Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    That's out of order.
    WW2 Pinups
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time
    04:42 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    That is also out of order.

Sure is.

Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    One could make a logical case that the bombing of a purely civilian target such as Dresden meets the definition of an act of terrorism, as did the bombing and U2 attacks on London.
    Not one I would argue with that was indeed the intent of the bombing from both sides. The intention was to bomb the civilians in to submission the british were deliberately targeting civilian workers as well as their factories no one has ever claimed otherwise. Precision bombing was just not possible at the time so area bombing was used instead. The british raids were constructed using a mix of high explosive and incendiaries to create fire-storms, they both used delayed action bombs so that they went off and killed the fire-fighters and would be rescuers. The germans called them terror flieger or terror fliers and civilians were not averse to lynching captured airmen if they got their hands on them, which is also viewed as a war crime - killing prisoners after they have surrendered.

Don't see why we should feel guilty about it just because we were better at it than the germans and they hadn't surrendered yet. It was total war nothing nice about it at all be it dropping bombs and being home in time for breakfast or using a flame-thrower on a pillbox.

One could make a logical case that using unmanned drones that tend to also take out large numbers of civilians is an act of terrorism.

Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time
    01:42 AM

I don't disagree, gmc. War is nasty. I think the citizens who vote in politicians who are always looking for excuses to get into another war are out of touch with what war feels like up close and personal. Don't even get me started about drones blowing up buildings full of people because one person inside might possibly someday do somethings that someone doesn't like.

Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    I don't disagree, gmc. War is nasty. I think the citizens who vote in politicians who are always looking for excuses to get into another war are out of touch with what war feels like up close and personal. Don't even get me started about drones blowing up buildings full of people because one person inside might possibly someday do somethings that someone doesn't like.
    I don't think it is so much we elect politicians looking for an excuse to go to war as that once there there is this kind of club/group mentality takes over and they forget that an individual representative does have a voice and a chance to influence things. All the politicians we look back at and remember were the ones that could persuade and lead. In an atmosphere where the party machine wants people to tow the line it's harder to speak out. Don't actually have any suggestions to make it's just the impression I have. Over here anyone can stand as an MP the difficulty is getting people to vote for you butb that's how ukip and the like creep in but for an independent it is pretty difficult.

Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time

To give my flippant Betty Grable comment some context

Dresden Death Toll ..................... Between 22,700 and 25,000
    Hiroshima Death Toll.................. Acute effects killed 90,000–166,000
    Nagasaki...................................... 60,000–80,000 .............................in first two to four months
    Iraq Death Toll...............................Take your pick from several over 100,000 up a million plus

Banned
    Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time
    09:42 AM

And there was cynical old me thinking you were just trying to wind up the chosen one and sabotage his thread.

Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    And there was cynical old me thinking you were just trying to wind up the chosen one and sabotage his thread.
    Come on now.......would I do such a thing ?

Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    I'm just coping with an image of BONO flying over london. I've always seen him more as a zeppelin (except filled with hot air) than a ballistic missile.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2