Thread: The mobile phone of the future?

Closed
    Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    03:11 PM

Re: The mobile phone of the future?

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzywuzzy View Post
    "Raising your voice" sounds to me like ...advertising without spending any money .
    Commercial enterprises advertise. Group initiatives attract attention.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    08-20-2019
    Local Time
    12:11 AM

yeah and so does me saying I'm for sale. No difference at all, just different format.

Closed
    Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzywuzzy View Post
    yeah and so does me saying I'm for sale. No difference at all, just different format.
    Maybe you could be a group initiative too. I reckon there's few parts of the world where you'd not attract attention.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    08-20-2019
    Local Time
    12:11 AM

why too much of it ? ;0. which in essence is kind of my point.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    06:11 AM

Apparently, one of the big guys thinks that the concept is a good idea. Motorola (Google) has launched Project Ara to build modular customizable phones. They say that it is an open hardware platform, so it will be interesting to see what the designers come up with.

Motorola unveils Project Ara for custom smartphones | Mobile - CNET News

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    08:11 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Týr View Post
    Wandrin's reference is sound but it turned out to be impractical. The nineties had the concept of the upgradeable PC. Buy it with today's technology and you'll be able to swap the processor and memory in a couple of years time for the latest. That was daughterboards. I never once saw anyone bother to try after a couple of years, it turned out that it would have cost more than getting in a new PC.

I get by with a phone that's ten years old but it still only does what it could do when it was bought new - SMS and voice calls. I reckon the modular proposal in the OP has the same fundamental restriction.

Besides, cellphones more than anything else you might carry around wear out physically. Mine manages because it's rubberized and has no glass to scratch. Few Androids will last that long.
    I just got a new phone, the one I have been using for six years or so had become a bit unreliable, and the battery life was severely reduced. I could not go a whole day without re-charging, and my spare battery failed, entirely.

I have little hope that this new phone will last as long.
    I am the kind of person that likes to buy a car and drive it until it begins to fall apart. I am the same with other things. A cell phone that I can simply upgrade components on, is very attractive to me.
    Even if it is a little heavier, and at the prices the phone companies are asking for these things, now. I don't see the cost for this idea being all that out of line.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Týr View Post
    Wandrin's reference is sound but it turned out to be impractical. The nineties had the concept of the upgradeable PC. Buy it with today's technology and you'll be able to swap the processor and memory in a couple of years time for the latest. That was daughterboards. I never once saw anyone bother to try after a couple of years, it turned out that it would have cost more than getting in a new PC.

I get by with a phone that's ten years old but it still only does what it could do when it was bought new - SMS and voice calls. I reckon the modular proposal in the OP has the same fundamental restriction.

Besides, cellphones more than anything else you might carry around wear out physically. Mine manages because it's rubberized and has no glass to scratch. Few Androids will last that long.
    How long did the Arc last? Bought in ?1989? it was still going strong in 2006 on it's third processor board and ?forth? set of OS chips (the only reason I added more memory was because I'd installed an Intel co-processor board that gobbled the stuff).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2