12-10-2019
    Local Time
    09:19 AM

The mobile phone of the future?

I think this idea has promise.
    Is this a bandwagon you could join?
    What do you think?
    Phonebloks
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    12-10-2019
    Local Time
    08:19 AM

Re: The mobile phone of the future?

In many ways, it is a return to the past of electronics, where daughterboards plugged into a motherboard and could be individually upgraded. I like the concept although I could forsee a few technical problems with its implementation. I'd like to see them build one.

Closed
    Local Date
    12-10-2019
    Local Time
    05:19 PM

Love the idea! wonder if it would actually work/catch on.. like wandrin said: i'd like to see them build one..

Local Date
    12-10-2019
    Local Time
    10:19 AM

I doubt the electronics companies would go for it. They want to charge the maximum amount possible to pad their bottom line. They don't give a damn about the environment or people only the bottom line. Same with healthcare.

Local Date
    12-10-2019
    Local Time

Wandrin's reference is sound but it turned out to be impractical. The nineties had the concept of the upgradeable PC. Buy it with today's technology and you'll be able to swap the processor and memory in a couple of years time for the latest. That was daughterboards. I never once saw anyone bother to try after a couple of years, it turned out that it would have cost more than getting in a new PC.

I get by with a phone that's ten years old but it still only does what it could do when it was bought new - SMS and voice calls. I reckon the modular proposal in the OP has the same fundamental restriction.

Besides, cellphones more than anything else you might carry around wear out physically. Mine manages because it's rubberized and has no glass to scratch. Few Androids will last that long.
    Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!

Local Date
    12-10-2019
    Local Time

After giving it more thought, I can foresee a couple of areas of potential weakness in the design. Since each module connects to the primary unit through electrical connectors (rather than solder), the wear and flexure on these connectors are its critical weakness since they would cause malfunction of the unit. The modules would also be more expensive to make, simply because there is more variety in modules and each must be made separately. Also, each module must be enclosed in an insulating material.

Having said that, diagnosing hardware problems at a store/shop that is set up for it would be faster and easier, since each module and the mother could be tested individually.

The phone would be more expensive to manufacture and slightly more prone to malfunction. I still like the concept though.

Local Date
    12-10-2019
    Local Time

Do you not feel its design inherently increases its weight compared to any integrated alternative?
    Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!

Local Date
    12-10-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Týr View Post
    Do you not feel its design inherently increases its weight compared to any integrated alternative?
    I agree. All that extra insulation would make it heavier, plus it would need a front and back plate that is very stiff to avoid flexing the module contacts. I'd also expect it to be thicker than most modern phones.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    12-10-2019
    Local Time
    11:19 AM

Quote Originally Posted by YZGI View Post
    I doubt the electronics companies would go for it. They want to charge the maximum amount possible to pad their bottom line. They don't give a damn about the environment or people only the bottom line. Same with healthcare.
    As well as every industry in the free market system including the NFL - those are the consequences of that system.

A paradigm shift in American economics began in the mid-eighties with the emerging tide of the service industry becoming dominant. Since manufacturing had slowed and service grew the focus of how best to achieve the most profitable bottom line changed from the employee being the greatest asset a company possessed to the shareholder. When that shift occurred the employee became strictly a cost liability that needed to be trimmed while the corporation began to take the form of a person.

We're way off topic now and I beg the op's forgiveness.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Premium Member
    Local Date
    12-11-2019
    Local Time
    02:19 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    "Raising your voice" sounds to me like ...advertising without spending any money .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast