Thread: Religious decline........

Banned
    Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    03:37 PM

Re: Religious decline........

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Well, I figured out a long time back that religion didn't really have all that much to do with God, and God doesn't really have a lot to do with Religion, these days.

But then when you hear a vicar saying he doesn't believe in God, you have to ask what the point of the church might be.
    I think so much other good stuff Is within the church these days. Not sure about the USA but certainly here. I'm Involved with the church here mainly because of the homeless programme they do. But then, It seems our Vicar's recognise that people who join such programmes are not always religious and they don't seem to ram It down your throat.
    Having said that, my brother Is deeply religious and converted to Catholicism some years ago. They seem rather heavier In the approach to Christian churches.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    10:37 AM

It's voting day here today. As I was walking into the church to vote a young fella reached out to shake my hand and introduce himself as running for school board supervisor - his name was Adam. As I shook his hand I looked him in the eye and asked him what he thought about atheism. He looked me back in the eye and said "it belongs in the schools".

I voted for him.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    09:37 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    It's voting day here today. As I was walking into the church to vote a young fella reached out to shake my hand and introduce himself as running for school board supervisor - his name was Adam. As I shook his hand I looked him in the eye and asked him what he thought about atheism. He looked me back in the eye and said "it belongs in the schools".

I voted for him.
    He was campaigning where you vote? I didn't think that was legal.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time

Is it? Is introducing yourself campaigning? It's done by locals all the time around here.
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    08:37 AM

Quote Originally Posted by YZGI View Post
    He was campaigning where you vote? I didn't think that was legal.
    He was there at the polling place, and influenced your vote. I believe that qualifies as campaigning. However, if he was more than 150 feet from the polls, then he was legal.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Premium Member
    Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time

I voted for him.
    Adam placed second in a field of five. He lost by only 141 votes. That says an awful lot about religious attitudes and for a guy who's willing to talk openly and positively about atheism. And I live in an area that is very religiously conservative.
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time

Adam placed second in a field of five. He lost by only 141 votes. That says an awful lot about religious attitudes and for a guy who's willing to talk openly and positively about atheism. And I live in an area that is very religiously conservative.
    A lot of people actually vote for a person based upon that person's qualifications for the job, rather than his religion (or lack of).
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Premium Member
    Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    A lot of people actually vote for a person based upon that person's qualifications for the job, rather than his religion (or lack of).
    I consider religious belief a hindrance to such a job and the ability to discern one's qualifications. I'd say the same about patriotism.
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    Scandinavians, for example, with their atheist majorities....

Wow. I find that fascinating. Outside of the Middle East, isn't the USA the most religious of all nations? I sometimes find the pandering here unbearable.
    Actually, most Americans I know are as spiritual and religious as ever if not more so. (Thanks to a decade of war, gun violence, and terrorism!) We just don't go to church anymore. I know I stopped completely. I have absolutely no idea why church going is on the decline, although I know my reasons:

1. The increased demand on me from my jobs forced me to have to work on Sundays so that I can get caught up.

2. Church stopped being relevant to me as a way to meet people and as some kind of solace for stress and advice on living.

3. Personal worship (Prayer, internal conversations with God, etc.) became much more effective, comfortable, and logical.

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    03:37 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    Humanists have no problem with people wishing to be religious and we do not go cold-calling.

Your style of communion seems reasonable to me. It is your choice and not a dogma.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast