Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 109

Thread: Civil rights ?

  1. #11
    Premium Member tude dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Central Kansas
    Posts
    4,020
    Local Date
    10-22-2019
    Local Time
    11:44 PM

    Re: Civil rights ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    I was linking them on the basis that although 50 years have passed, the likes of Craig Cobb and your good self still react to colour illogically.
    Wonderful, you linking me with that Cobb guy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    The logic according to some is the high percentage of blacks jailed in the USA is because blacks carry a criminal gene.
    OK fine, can't speak for those who believe such things.
    Gosh, it would be awful pleasin'
    To reason out the reason
    For things I can't explain

  2. #12
    Senior Member Bruv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kent..... South East England
    Posts
    12,178
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    05:44 AM

    Re: Civil rights ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    Wonderful, you linking me with that Cobb guy.
    Not me, it was you that brought up the many dangerous MLK thoroughfares in the US, they have a high black population that you feel uncomfortable with due to the suggestion you would be subject to crime...............my apologies if I read that wrong.
    OK fine, can't speak for those who believe such things.
    So.....why do you keep clear of MLK avenue after dark ?
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

  3. #13
    Senior Member AnneBoleyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    6,579
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    12:44 AM

    Re: Civil rights ?

    Bruv: "why do you keep clear of MLK avenue after dark ?"

    T.D. is not wrong to take precautions on any street with that name, or Marcus Garvey, or Malcolm X, etc. These streets are always named in the poorest & most crime ridden areas almost exclusively black neighborhoods. It's pandering more than honoring.

  4. #14
    Premium Member tude dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Central Kansas
    Posts
    4,020
    Local Date
    10-22-2019
    Local Time
    11:44 PM

    Re: Civil rights ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    Not me, it was you that brought up the many dangerous MLK thoroughfares in the US, they have a high black population that you feel uncomfortable with due to the suggestion you would be subject to crime...............my apologies if I read that wrong.
    I should have limited the MLK remark to Los Angeles and Chicago. Los Angeles because I lived there most all my life and am familiar with its history of high murder rate. Chicago because of my interest in its high murder rate of recent years. Chicago took the title of murder capital from Los Angeles.

    There are other high crime areas of Los Angeles I steer clear of. East Los Angeles, Latino gangs.


    North Hills, lived there in the early 70's. It was low rent trash then and with the help of drug dealing has only downhill since.

    I deal in reality. I realize that the places I avoid are mainly populated by decent people. I feel bad for those folk because in my life had to experience some of that life. Makes me wonder why the hell they stay there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    So.....why do you keep clear of MLK avenue after dark ?
    I misspoke. I keep clear both day and night.

    Actually it wasn't all that hard for me to avoid South Central LA or East LA as I didn't live near either place. Distance of 30-40 miles or so. For like 3 years I did work in East LA.

    North Hills was like 4-5 miles away. I planed my life such as I would have no reason to ever be there.

    There are other places, to many to list here I would avoid for any number of reasons.

    In reality though, the scum drive cars and have no problem spreading their filth.
    Gosh, it would be awful pleasin'
    To reason out the reason
    For things I can't explain

  5. #15
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    9,824
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    12:44 AM

    Re: Civil rights ?

    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    Bruv: "why do you keep clear of MLK avenue after dark ?"

    T.D. is not wrong to take precautions on any street with that name, or Marcus Garvey, or Malcolm X, etc. These streets are always named in the poorest & most crime ridden areas almost exclusively black neighborhoods. It's pandering more than honoring.
    That's not accurate.
    Streets named after Martin Luther King, Jr. can be found in many cities of the United States and in nearly every major metropolis in America. There are also a number of other countries that have honored King, including Italy and Israel. The number of streets named after King is increasing every year, and about 70% of these streets are in Southern states: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, and Texas. King's home state of Georgia had the most, with 75 streets as of 2001;[1] this had increased to 105 as of 2006.[2]
    As of 2003, there were over 600 American cities that had named a street after King.[1] By 2004, this number had grown to 650, according to NPR.[3] In 2006, Derek Alderman, a cultural geographer at East Carolina University, reported the number had increased to 730, with only 11 states in the country without a street named after King.[2]
    The following is a list of prominent streets named after Martin Luther King Jr.


    To name just two.
    Akron, Ohio

    The OH-59 freeway in downtown Akron, formerly the Akron Innerbelt, is now the Martin Luther King Jr. Expressway. Also, a part of OH-59 just after this expressway ends is known as Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.
    Cincinnati, Ohio

    Martin Luther King Drive is a major crosstown artery in Cincinnati. It connects the west side of the city to the east, running through several historic uptown neighborhoods. It will open in 2015.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...uther_King,_Jr.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

    I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

    Fiona Apple

  6. #16
    Senior Member AnneBoleyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    6,579
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    12:44 AM

    Re: Civil rights ?

    Right, Ahso! I was speaking of NYC's 5 boroughs. Sorry.

  7. #17
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    9,824
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    12:44 AM

    Re: Civil rights ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    I should have limited the MLK remark to Los Angeles and Chicago. Los Angeles because I lived there most all my life and am familiar with its history of high murder rate. Chicago because of my interest in its high murder rate of recent years. Chicago took the title of murder capital from Los Angeles.

    There are other high crime areas of Los Angeles I steer clear of. East Los Angeles, Latino gangs.


    North Hills, lived there in the early 70's. It was low rent trash then and with the help of drug dealing has only downhill since.

    I deal in reality. I realize that the places I avoid are mainly populated by decent people. I feel bad for those folk because in my life had to experience some of that life. Makes me wonder why the hell they stay there.



    I misspoke. I keep clear both day and night.

    Actually it wasn't all that hard for me to avoid South Central LA or East LA as I didn't live near either place. Distance of 30-40 miles or so. For like 3 years I did work in East LA.

    North Hills was like 4-5 miles away. I planed my life such as I would have no reason to ever be there.

    There are other places, to many to list here I would avoid for any number of reasons.

    In reality though, the scum drive cars and have no problem spreading their filth.
    Some of them also have internet access, apparently.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

    I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

    Fiona Apple

  8. #18
    Zero mod strikes. HAH!!! YZGI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    11,530
    Local Date
    10-22-2019
    Local Time
    11:44 PM

    Re: Civil rights ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Some of them also have internet access, apparently.
    Are you saying you dispute that there are places to avoid?

  9. #19
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    9,824
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    12:44 AM

    Re: Civil rights ?

    Quote Originally Posted by YZGI View Post
    Are you saying you dispute that there are places to avoid?
    Is that what I highlighted in the quote? Surely, I said that scum also have no problem spreading their filth via the internet. Was that not clear?
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

    I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

    Fiona Apple

  10. #20
    Zero mod strikes. HAH!!! YZGI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    11,530
    Local Date
    10-22-2019
    Local Time
    11:44 PM

    Re: Civil rights ?

    Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Is that what I highlighted in the quote? Surely, I said that scum also have no problem spreading their filth via the internet. Was that not clear?
    It is now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Britain's civil rights
    By Oscar Namechange in forum History
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-29-2013, 09:53 AM
  2. Happy Meal or Civil/Human Rights
    By Ahso! in forum General Chit Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-04-2010, 08:21 PM
  3. US Civil War
    By alan peacock in forum History
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-08-2005, 06:55 PM
  4. Clinton speaks before Hispanic civil rights conference
    By CVX in forum Presidential Elections & Campaigns
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-19-2005, 12:21 PM
  5. Welcome to the Civil Rights Forum
    By ForumGarden in forum Social & Human Rights
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 03:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts