Well this is one topic I know something about!!!!

Leash laws, as they are known here in the USA arent are that bad. In a populated area they sever to protect the dog, the dogs owner, and others you may come in contact with; not to mention the property of others be it public or private. Now it may provide protection but granted it does not give the full reign of excises, socialization and play a dog needs and enjoys.

Here in the US leash laws vary by State, city, county or localities such as dogs in farming areas do not have leash laws, etc. Perhaps this would be a means for your Council to try?

Sadly for all of the reasons you listed is why these laws have come into force here.

People too lazy to pick up after their dog, people who dont understand their dogs breed or cant think pass the nose on their face (such as your greyhound example). Or as gmc mentioned people who dont know how to talk dog or read their dogs body language. Sadly it exists whether the dog is on leash or off leash but in a controlled environment there is some resolution.

Oscar pointed out about the Dog Parks that have become quite popular here in the USA.

Dog parks are the fastest-growing segment of city parks. There were 569 off-leash dog parks in the 100 largest U.S. cities in 2010, a 34 percent jump in 5 years, while overall parks increased only 3 percent. Portland, Oregon the highest per capita in the USA with 5.7 dog parks for every 100,000 residents. Calgary, AB has the highest per capita in North America, with 15.9 dog parks for every 100,000 residents. There are now more American households with dogs than with kids of 43 million and 38 million respectively. "It's a playground for people without kids." Wikipedia.

Thats a lot of dogs!

This is what I know as I over-see a very successful Dog Park that is in its 11th year.

Oscar suggested volunteers to monitor the Dpk which is how the one I work at started but now has County employees to oversee the Dpk. I think volunteers are a very good start as it gets the community involved but once the Dpk evolves it will need more then volunteers.

A Dpk really is a business. It is in the business to provide a service and be compensated to continue to ensure that amenity carries on. At this point I dont want to bore any readers but I can tell you this as a fact. As of September 2013 the Dpk had approximately 700 person who had purchased annual park passes (40 US$ for a calendar year ) generating $28,000 and 3,000 daily patrons (5 USD$ per visit) have contribute $15,000. Thats a total of $43,000 to support with upkeep, supplies, staffing, and additions to improve the Dpk. You may be surprised at how many people would use such a facility.

So perhaps to you who may be pressured into leash laws this may be something to present to your local council?

If anyone is interested I had posted three threads about my experiences at the Dpk under Dogs, Cats, & all things Pet Related > The Pets in Our Lives.

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/pe...-park-1-a.html

This was the first one..I have no idea if this links works or not so Ill leave it at that.

And Gill, Jessica is beautiful!! I am so happy to hear she is a rescue! Smart move for both of YOU