+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dentist

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    12:27 PM

The Dentist

Sounds like the title of a horror movie!!!

My teeth are in pretty good shape but I hate going to the Dentist. Not that I don't like the person himself, actually my new Dentist is quite an attractive man; it is just something about being in that chair, the sound of the drill and people poking around in my mouth and pulling on my face. The last couple of times I went my blood pressure was so high they had me sit for 10 minutes to see if it would come down as they won't work on your teeth if your pressure is too high.

And the new dentist office I am going to is nothing like the ones I used to go to. It is open and bright. It is a huge room with dividers between each Dentist station and big windows and a TV. Not that I can envision anyone watching TV when in a dentist chair.....And it doesn't have a spit bowl! You know the bowl with the water running around in it where when the dentist says "ok spit" you would aim for that bowl. Nope, at this office they hand you a syphon or a spit sucker to put in your mouth.

And don't get me started on the expense of going to the dentist. I can't believe you pay someone so much money to make you feel miserable!! (Well at least for a few hours )

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    05:27 AM

Re: The Dentist

I feel the same way about them, Lady J and they're bound to be used to it! Dentist offices will probably never make anyone's list of "favorite places I'd like to be right now" but it sounds like the one you're going to is another rung up the ladder.

It's so much easier to tell someone else to "just relax!" than it is to do it in actuality, isn't it?

Take care of your pearlies!

Closed
    Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    11:27 AM

I love my current dentist! So to the point (and always on time!)
    Before I had a lady dentist who made me nervous because she was..
    This male dentist doesn't make a fuss. I had a very small cavity like a year or so ago.. I asked him if it could be filled without anesthetic, he got to it right away. No pain at all, just a little pinch at one point, he talked me through it which helped.

He also told me to come only once a year for checkups as I almost never have issues with my teeth.. he tought it was a waste of both our time if i'd come round twice a year.
    He pulled my wisdom tooth last november (the one the lady dentist was too scared to remove).. The time it took from me walking in, having it pulled and back ouside again was 7 minutes!
    Bloody wonderful!

I would never trade this dentist in for another!

Closed
    Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Lady J View Post
    It is a huge room with dividers between each Dentist station
    So you can watch other people scream and dribble?

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time

They take your blood pressure at the dentists?

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    04:27 AM

I had a dentist back in Arkansas who was great. His hygienist was professional and thorough, and friendly, they were an easy walk from my house.
    The first dentist I tried here was all wrong. They had a large open area where all the patients are in a big room and the dentist and hygienists all talked to each other incessantly, and we the patients, were merely something to occupy their hands while they chatted. Sort of like the quilt at a quilting bee.
    I am looking for a new dentist.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Banned
    Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    10:27 AM

My Mother started taking me to the dentist when I was about 5 years old... Mr Stevens his name was. One memory was the smell of the gas mask. I was always sick after It.
    In the waiting room, my brother who was 2 years older than me would squabble over who went first. There was a long flight of stairs up to his surgery on the top floor and I can recall the dread I felt as I took every step.
    I started to tell my Mother that he was really hurting me. Not just being a baby but really hurting. She asked my brother who always said. no, Mr Stevens never hurt him so I was told off every time for making a fuss,
    The upshot was that to this day, I have to pay through the nose for sedation and to be completely knocked out even for a filling.

One day, some 40 years later, my brother and I are chatting away and the subject got round this and I said It was all down to that childhood dentist. My brother says, ' Oh yeah, he was really heavy handed and I was so frightened of him'. I'm like ' hang on a minute and jogged his memory. He then tells me he was also terrified of Mr Stevens but never said anything because he'd have looked like a baby If he'd cried like me'

I gave him a chinese burn for that,

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time

Something to cheer you all up a little ! This is the funniest sketch I've seen come out of America !!! Tim Conway and Harvey Korman on the Carol Burnett Show............

I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Banned
    Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    12:27 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Lady J View Post
    Sounds like the title of a horror movie!!!

My teeth are in pretty good shape but I hate going to the Dentist. Not that I don't like the person himself, actually my new Dentist is quite an attractive man; it is just something about being in that chair, the sound of the drill and people poking around in my mouth and pulling on my face. The last couple of times I went my blood pressure was so high they had me sit for 10 minutes to see if it would come down as they won't work on your teeth if your pressure is too high.

And the new dentist office I am going to is nothing like the ones I used to go to. It is open and bright. It is a huge room with dividers between each Dentist station and big windows and a TV. Not that I can envision anyone watching TV when in a dentist chair.....And it doesn't have a spit bowl! You know the bowl with the water running around in it where when the dentist says "ok spit" you would aim for that bowl. Nope, at this office they hand you a syphon or a spit sucker to put in your mouth.

And don't get me started on the expense of going to the dentist. I can't believe you pay someone so much money to make you feel miserable!! (Well at least for a few hours )
    "I can't believe you pay someone so much money to make you feel miserable!! (Well at least for a few hours.)"

I know quite a few people who do this for free.

Local Date
    10-17-2019
    Local Time
    02:27 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    My dentist offers a special service for those who are uncomfortable in a dentist's office. I tried it out and I like it. The appointment is made first thing in the morning, so there is no time spent in the waiting room listening to the drill. Once settled into the chair, the assistant hands you a pair of huge noise-cancelling headphones and asks you to select a type of music. Then she hands you a little volume control device.

After the procedure, if anesthetic was used, they have some recovery rooms next door, out of the range to hear drills and they check on you and tell you when it is safe to drive home.

It's all very well thought out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast