Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should the Poor Always Be With Us?

Banned
    Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time
    05:51 PM

Should the Poor Always Be With Us?

According to what I have read on the internet there are approximately 842 million earthlings on our planet who do not have enough to eat. This computes to about one in eight earthlings in the world who are basically starving.

On the flip side about $36 billion is spent on sports sponsorship every year.

According to the internet it costs about $1370.00 per annum to feed one earthling.

So I ask: Couldnt this sponsorship or a portion of it be channelled to the starving masses for maybe even a month or two every year? And if so would it help?"

I suck at math so I could never work out what $36 billion divided by 842 million would be, but Im sure my good buddy LarsMac will help me out.

Thanks Lars ... (Sorry)

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time
    09:51 AM

Re: Should the Poor Always Be With Us?

Quote Originally Posted by jones jones View Post
    According to what I have read on the internet there are approximately 842 million earthlings on our planet who do not have enough to eat. This computes to about one in eight earthlings in the world who are basically starving.

On the flip side about $36 billion is spent on sports sponsorship every year.

According to the internet it costs about $1370.00 per annum to feed one earthling.

So I ask: �Couldn�t this sponsorship or a portion of it be channelled to the starving masses for maybe even a month or two every year? And if so would it help?"

I suck at math so I could never work out what $36 billion divided by 842 million would be, but I�m sure my good buddy LarsMac will help me out.

Thanks Lars ... (Sorry)
    Not a problem, Brother.
    Gave me something to think about as I am waking up for the day.
    Dividing up the entire sports sponsorship spending among all of those hungry people would net them each about 42 dollars a year.
    about 3 % of what they would need to eat for a year. In other words, that would at best feed all those people for a little over a week.

The cost to feed all of those people for a year (approximately 1.2 trillion dollars) would nearly equal the military budget of all of the major powers in the world today (approximately 1.7 trillion).

so it looks like we have a choice to make.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Banned
    Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time
    03:51 PM

Although not the same subject, I feel similar to an argument I was having with my revolting neighbour a couple of nights ago.

There was a thing to raise funds for cancer which was women who use Facebook taking a selfie wearing no make-up and post It on Facebook which each time raised £3. I said ' how about you all donate just £1 a month for the rest of your lives? Oh dear !!!!!

Unfortunately, I believe the world and It's occupants are basically selfish. You will see people out campaigning for cancer research but only after their loved one has suffered. Likewise with Stroke research etc etc. That sounds harsh but most people don't have any awareness or even give a toss until It affects them.

Same with the starving nations... forget the high profile crap by Z list celebs desperate to revive a flagging career and give something. If we all did that modestly and quietly, we could make a difference... not wait until something affects you.

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time
    04:51 PM

I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time
    09:51 AM

The only real way to end hunger on the planet is for each of the nations to make it a priority.
    A nation like India must make local efforts to end the overcrowding and hunger within its borders.
    There is water to be had in Africa, but all of the regional, tribal, and national conflicts must be set aside. Cooperation to develop the resources and make the land arable. If that were done, Africa could not only feed its own hungry, but provide abundant food resources for the rest of the world.

So, at least for the foreseeable future, the answer to your question, JJ, is 'Yes.' The poor shall always be with us. At least until we evolve into a more cooperative species.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Banned
    Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time
    03:51 PM

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    The only real way to end hunger on the planet is for each of the nations to make it a priority.
    A nation like India must make local efforts to end the overcrowding and hunger within its borders.
    There is water to be had in Africa, but all of the regional, tribal, and national conflicts must be set aside. Cooperation to develop the resources and make the land arable. If that were done, Africa could not only feed its own hungry, but provide abundant food resources for the rest of the world.

So, at least for the foreseeable future, the answer to your question, JJ, is 'Yes.' The poor shall always be with us. At least until we evolve into a more cooperative species.
    Well said

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time
    11:51 AM

"There will be poor always, pathetically struggling, look at the good things you've got" JC Superstar

also: Matthew 26:11, Mark 14:7, Deuteronomy 15:11

Not only do we have too many citizens of the planet, we now have medicines to cure them from dying from AIDS, malaria, smallpox, etc. etc.

Breathing out all that CO2

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time

McOscar!! You're a riot! :-D

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    "There will be poor always, pathetically struggling, look at the good things you've got" JC Superstar
    Did I miss anything? I couldn't get motivated to watch more than 2 minutes of the Jesus Christ Superstar movie back in the day....and I passed up the chance to see the stage show back then also. Seems like the fundies were right, that they got everything wrong in the effort to sell J.C. to pot-smoking hippies of the day.

also: Matthew 26:11, Mark 14:7, Deuteronomy 15:11
    That's more like it! At least these verses provide some context on how the poor and poverty were viewed in New and Old Testament times.
    The verse in Deuteronomy indicates that Jesus was paraphrasing this Talmudic verse:
    For the poor shall never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother, to thy poor, and to thy needy, in thy land. kjv
    Over and over again, I can never find the Republican Christian verses in the Bible that condemn "The Takers" and "blessed be the Job Creators." I'm sure they're in there somewhere!

Not only do we have too many citizens of the planet, we now have medicines to cure them from dying from AIDS, malaria, smallpox, etc. etc.

Breathing out all that CO2
    I notice these days, whenever I see any discussion of the global warming crisis, or whenever subjects like poverty and the wealth gap crop up, that it's sometimes mentioned that the modern economies of the world can produce more than enough food and essentials to feed and clothe and shelter everyone in the world....even with our 7 billion+ population. But, what never gets mentioned is that our world works under an economic system that does the exact opposite of distributing wealth evenly! Capitalism provides too many incentives for people to buy and consume on impulse, and rewards those who take more than they will ever need in a thousand lifetimes, while following the 'middle path' and only taking what we need and avoiding all extreme behaviour....well, that's bad for economic growth! And our system will collapse unless enough there are enough selfish, greedy people who take on more debt so they can die in a bigger house or have a more expensive car out in the driveway!

Hate to be a pessimist all the time, but 40 years ago, there were some radical voices on the left...even during the dark days of the Cold War, who got on TV and radio, and were selling their books in the bookstores. Now, the most radical thing available is the overhyped reworking of Keynsian modified capitalism advanced by Thomas Picketty, because...as he says himself in interviews, capitalism is essential, and must only be modified....not abolished.

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    "Did I miss anything? I couldn't get motivated to watch more than 2 minutes of the Jesus Christ Superstar movie back in the day....and I passed up the chance to see the stage show back then also. Seems like the fundies were right, that they got everything wrong in the effort to sell J.C. to pot-smoking hippies of the day."

Yes, you did miss something , & as usual, I disagree with many fundies, though certainly not all. I think JC Superstar captured the moment superbly! Maybe you should have dropped some acid. Of course, IMO, even that could not save "2001: A Space Odyssey" from being as boring as "Barry Lyndon", but I digress.

Seriously, a Lutheran minister of my acquaintance at the time explained to me that JCSuperstar captured much of the spirit of the Gospels from the Apostle viewpoint & helped with understanding certain motivations.

That was a very long time ago, wasn't it? At least 40 years. I can still sing every song by heart.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast