Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: US is an Oligarchy

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    11:51 AM

Re: US is an Oligarchy

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    I have not read the "Study" quoted, but it is fairly obvious to most that much of US politics at the national level "managed" by the Corporate Big Dogs.
    If you really think this is unique to the US, you really haven't been paying much attention.
    I don't recall saying that oligarchy is a uniquely U.S. experience!

FWIW, after spending the post-WWII decades trying to keep some separation from U.S. products, culture and politics, Canada is being overrun by U.S. economic policy thanks to opening the door to globalization back when FTA...which quickly morphed into NAFTA became policy. The Liberal Party defeated the Tories mainly on a platform of scrapping a national sales tax and NAFTA...and then quickly backed down on both accounts....same old, same old! But, now that we have a Conservative Prime Minister on the same level apparently as this clown who's PM of Australia now, the doors are wide open to U.S. oligarchs, corporate pop media, American political advisers (hello Frank Luntz!), and Canada has abandoned its time-honoured position of being even-handed in foreign policy (even during prior conservative governments) to marching in lock-step with any and every idiotic policy that comes out of Washington! The days when American students traveling in the Third World put Canadian flag stickers on their bags and luggage for protection are long over now!

So, like it or not...and this is coming from someone who still is a dual citizen and still maintains a few family connections with U.S. relatives...when the rest of the world speaks of Oligarchy, we know exactly where the HQ of the oligarchy lies, and who benefits from enforcing the suicidal globalization regime through force of arms around the world!

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    08:51 AM

Quote Originally Posted by recovering conservative View Post
    I don't recall saying that oligarchy is a uniquely U.S. experience!

FWIW, after spending the post-WWII decades trying to keep some separation from U.S. products, culture and politics, Canada is being overrun by U.S. economic policy thanks to opening the door to globalization back when FTA...which quickly morphed into NAFTA became policy. The Liberal Party defeated the Tories mainly on a platform of scrapping a national sales tax and NAFTA...and then quickly backed down on both accounts....same old, same old! But, now that we have a Conservative Prime Minister on the same level apparently as this clown who's PM of Australia now, the doors are wide open to U.S. oligarchs, corporate pop media, American political advisers (hello Frank Luntz!), and Canada has abandoned its time-honoured position of being even-handed in foreign policy (even during prior conservative governments) to marching in lock-step with any and every idiotic policy that comes out of Washington! The days when American students traveling in the Third World put Canadian flag stickers on their bags and luggage for protection are long over now!

So, like it or not...and this is coming from someone who still is a dual citizen and still maintains a few family connections with U.S. relatives...when the rest of the world speaks of Oligarchy, we know exactly where the HQ of the oligarchy lies, and who benefits from enforcing the suicidal globalization regime through force of arms around the world!
    Chill, Dude.
    You seem to think I was trying argue with you. I was merely making a statement.

That 1% is pretty much a global figure, not just an American one.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Chill, Dude.
    You seem to think I was trying argue with you. I was merely making a statement.

That 1% is pretty much a global figure, not just an American one.
    Yes, and even within that 1%, there is a pecking order when it comes to who benefits, as the controlling interests of the system are a .1% or .01% of total population. That 1% and .1% internationally....the billionaires like Carlos Slim in Mexico and the billionaires in India and most other third world nations, have earned their billions by working on behalf of the Oligarchy locally. They are the local gangster capitalist who have enriched themselves by overseeing the debt-loading and privatization of their national economies.

The lower rungs of the 1% demographic are high paid professionals...many of whom do the actual work of running things for their bosses. But, their interests lie with the tiny, powerful class of billionaires, because they also benefit from changes to tax rules worldwide, that have been crafted to benefit investment income over earned income. Us peons who have tax-free retirement plans or the few of us who still work in places with company or union-managed pension plans benefit from income earnings only after retirement. And as I get closer to the time when I can draw my company pension and government pension, I'm finding that I will have to put off actual retirement further and further into the future, because they are not keeping up with the cost of living (regardless of what phony inflation numbers tell us). And this is typical of the situation that most people I know who are planning retirement/or have recently retired, find themselves facing.

But, my larger point earlier, is that a lot of the rest-of-the-world finds it both baffling and infuriating how clueless the average American is on issues like: why the U.S. Dollar is maintained as reserve currency for international trading at the point of a gun! This is the main underlying point behind most of the proxy wars that have gone on in the 21st century. The U.S. Government knows full well that it's not just a few small cranks in the Middle East who want to drop the Dollar. Russia, China, Brazil, India, and every other nations loses billions each year in real value of their trades, because they use a currency that is being deliberately devalued by deliberate inflating of the money supply...and it's the only way the U.S. can keep feeding the beast: that huge and growing and impossible to afford military and security complex.

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time
    07:51 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    I'm shocked! I'm shocked that the media would actually acknowledge this. It's been pretty obvious for a long time, but the media has ignored it.
    The ruling class control this country by intelligence and media. They are tools and servants. How could a servant do anything against his master?

Local Date
    08-25-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by katsung47 View Post
    The ruling class control this country by intelligence and media. They are tools and servants. How could a servant do anything against his master?
    Check.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2