+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The sheep challenge

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time
    04:36 PM

The sheep challenge

"I think I can show it is more reasonable to believe in God than to believe in the world you actually see."

The above statement from a member called 'sheep'......discuss
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time
    09:36 AM

Re: The sheep challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    "I think I can show it is more reasonable to believe in God than to believe in the world you actually see."

Before we begin, can we agree that only facts can and should be used to try and prove or disprove the existence of a God?

Bruv, I'll wait for your response so that the parameters of the discussion can be agreed upon before we continue, otherwise we will just end up making arguments to prove our case using different metrics and it will be impossible to come to any agreed upon conclusion.

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time

I Reject the idea that it is an either/or choice. It seems perfectly reasonable to me, to believe in both.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by sheep View Post
    Before we begin, can we agree that only facts can and should be used to try and prove or disprove the existence of a God?

Bruv, I'll wait for your response so that the parameters of the discussion can be agreed upon before we continue, otherwise we will just end up making arguments to prove our case using different metrics and it will be impossible to come to any agreed upon conclusion.
    You made the statement, you set the challenge, it is for you to set the 'metrics'.
    To my mind you have made a ridicoulous claim that cannot be substantiated whatever metrics are used.

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time
    05:36 PM

Well, doesn't that depend upon the depth of what one actually "sees"? Does an apple come from the tree, the seed, the earth, from God, or the evolution of two atoms colliding with one another? Neither of the last 2 alternatives are "actually seen" anyway.

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time

You made the statement, you set the challenge, it is for you to set the 'metrics'.
    To my mind you have made a ridicoulous claim that cannot be substantiated whatever metrics are used.
    If facts are not the only evidence we use, then we are making assumptions and isn't this what Atheists ridicule believers in God of doing?

I made the statement that "I think I can show it is more reasonable to believe in God than to believe in the world you actually see."

Now let me begin.

There is only 1 provable fact: consciousness. Since this is true, everything else is and will always remain a theory. As I stated before: it is more believable to believe in God then it is the world we see.

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time

There is only 1 provable fact: consciousness. Since this is true, everything else is and will always remain a theory. As I stated before: it is more believable to believe in God then it is the world we see.
    Define consciousness.
    So how are you proving consciousness?

Or alternatively if consciousness is the only provable fact, how can you believe in an unseeable creator of the actual things you can see and touch?

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by High Threshold View Post
    Well, doesn't that depend upon the depth of what one actually "sees"? Does an apple come from the tree, the seed, the earth, from God, or the evolution of two atoms colliding with one another? Neither of the last 2 alternatives are "actually seen" anyway.
    What is wrong with your statement, is that: in a dream you see and have all the same senses you have during this prolonged existence you call life, so the answer is no... what you see is only proof of consciousness, not of what you are seeing.

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by High Threshold View Post
    Look out your window, see the blossom?
    That is a provable fact, anything concerning an unseen super being is pure supposition created by mans need have some reason for his own existence.

Local Date
    08-21-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    What is wrong with your statement, is that: in a dream you see and have all the same senses you have during this prolonged existence you call life, so the answer is no... what you see is only proof of consciousness, not of what you are seeing.

I don't dream.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast