+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Holiday is not happy to me.

Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time
    06:12 AM

The Holiday is not happy to me.

I am getting to the point where I just don't know what to say to people who wish me a happy holiday that I don''t even celebrate or believe in. I don't want to insult them, but I don't want to encourage them either. So its a tuff moment of manipulation. Do I stab their belief by responding, " Look, I don't celebrate Easter." Or Christmas, or birthdays, or St. Pactricks day, or valentines day; the list just goes on and on.

I realize at the moment they are just being nice about their choice of celebration; but I view it to be pagan originated and see nothing in them that I celebrate. I usually say, " And to you", but I grow tired of that. Yet I am not going to take the opportunity to tell them the real history of what they celebrate, its just not motivating to me to rip into peoples beliefs at these kinds of times when they are wishing what they think is good for you.

So I find this is getting unconmfortable to me and awkward; but I am a reasonable man; I think I need a new standard in my response. One that is respectful but clear. But this whole delima brings up several issues.

Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time
    02:12 PM

Re: The Holiday is not happy to me.

Chill a little.
    People lie every day,for instance "How are you today?" you could always tell them the truth, but you normally don't do you?
    Wish them well, that is the truth isn't it?
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Premium Member
    Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time
    09:12 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    So I find this is getting unconmfortable to me and awkward; but I am a reasonable man; I think I need a new standard in my response. One that is respectful but clear.
    What's wrong with, "I don't celebrate _________, but thank you anyway!"

It's direct, to the point and a respectful response.

Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    Chill a little.
    People lie every day,for instance "How are you today?" you could always tell them the truth, but you normally don't do you?
    Wish them well, that is the truth isn't it?

That is true, yes. And that is one of the abnormal circumstances that we habitually fall into each time; making the response no better than the motivation involved with those who ask. Why keep lying To please someonelse?

Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    What's wrong with, "I don't celebrate _________, but thank you anyway!"

It's direct, to the point and a respectful response.

It is, and its perhaps one of the best I have tried. Even that one has caused a bit of strange contentment between me and the greeter from then on. These holidays and their traditions have swept their way into the heart of world societys. Its like we are kind of enslaved to them partly. And should that even be?

Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time
    07:12 AM

A simple "Thank you" might suffice.
    Except for the hopefully rare occasion when you actually wish to make a point of something with someone, what's the point of taking the conversation anywhere?
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    A simple "Thank you" might suffice.
    Except for the hopefully rare occasion when you actually wish to make a point of something with someone, what's the point of taking the conversation anywhere?

I have done the thank most of the time, and still feel personally betrayed for offering that. I want to say, " Hey, look, I don't get into that holiday greeting because I don't agree with the history of the holiday, nor mixing pagan history with religious overtones." But that offers a time consuming conversation, when usually the greeting is a " Passer by greeting." And those two offerings just don't match.

Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time

So the holiday greeting is not a happy one to me, but I understand the happiness on the other end. Yet I think to myself, goodness, all this happiness coming from an origin that is absolutely nothing like the greeter is even aware of. And I think, man, whatelse in life are we getting so much happiness and pleasure from, not even caring where we got it from?

Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time
    05:12 AM

I would guess that a relatively small portion of those who wish you a happy holiday are talking about the religious implications of a specific religious tradition. Many are referring to a general holiday in the spring, with cultural associations of bright clothing and family dinners. Many are simply referring to a celebration of springtime. If you look at the Hallmark card selections under the topic of "easter", most have nothing to do with religious dogma and are just bright cheerful springtime cards.

You could respond to those wishing you happy holidays with, "And a beautiful springtime it is!" and most people would cheerfully nod without reading anything into the fact that you used different words than they.

Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    A simple greeting; a simple wish from someonelse can be packed with a history that is full of who knows what. Look how powerful " Influence" can be. Influence can creep into a language, a custom, a tradition, a whole generation of a family; and the custom may have originated from Witches! And we don't take the time to trace it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast